PDA

View Full Version : Monthly Shooting Assignment

Pages : 1 [2] 3

rst
07-17-2006, 05:28 AM
This sounds like fun. I use film which I develop myself, then I scan and print on an inkjet printer - so I am not allowed to participate with these images. But would scanned Polaroids be allowed?

Regards
-- Ruediger

kraker
07-17-2006, 06:58 AM
Sounds like a good idea to me. I occasionally participate in a similar monthly contest; it is my experience that a month is rather short, especially for us analog people (the one I participate in is mainly populated by "the others", and just a few analog shooters). Two weeks to think of a good scene in the back of your mind, third weekend to shoot & develop, skip printing, scan from negative.

Take 1 1/2 month, and there's more time to shoot again and to do proper printing (I find scanning a print a lot easier than scanning from the negative).

Long story short: yes, I'd be interested in such a contest.

Sean
07-17-2006, 07:42 AM
I have created a subforum for this project. David B will be the owner and moderator of this project and subforum. I have also changed the old challenge gallery to be the new Monthly Shooting Assignment gallery. If you guys need anything else let me know, sounds fun :)

Sean

Steve Smith
07-17-2006, 08:34 AM
Add me to the list (if that's how it works).

Steve.

catem
07-17-2006, 08:47 AM
... I'd be interested in such a contest.
Would it be a contest, or just sharing photographs?

I'd be more interested if it's not a contest as such, but probably not every time - but when I could get to do it and felt inspired by the subject I would...(btw, how would it be decided what the following subject is to be?)

Cate

MenacingTourist
07-17-2006, 08:53 AM
Sounds like fun.

toddstew
07-17-2006, 09:23 AM
Giddyup!
How will the monthly subject/assignment be decided? I'm in however it works.
Todd

david b
07-17-2006, 11:29 AM
Okay, well I guess I have some work to do.

John Bartley
07-17-2006, 11:45 AM

David,

I don't see why it has to be a lot of work. If it's not a contest, but rather a submission of a photographers perception of the theme, then all that's required is that every 60 (or however long) days, you post the "assignment". Maybe Sean would make a gallery for your group and the photos are posted there as members feel that they are able/inclined/motivated/etc... The only condition that I think would apply would be that it must be work done during the 60 days that the assignment lasts and the photo must be posted during those 60 days.

just a couple of thoughts ...

cheers

david b
07-17-2006, 11:48 AM
Actually John, as mentioned in this thread, the topic would change every 30 days but the entry times remain open so that you can post at any time. Since this is not a contest but an assignment for creativity, things are a bit relaxed.

david b
07-17-2006, 11:50 AM
Please see this thread. (http://www.apug.org/forums/showthread.php?t=29805)

Flotsam
07-17-2006, 12:18 PM
I would start by contacting FrankB. I'm sure that he can give you some insight on what worked and any difficulties to anticipate.
As I remember, choosing and settling on a monthly topic was always a bit of a problem.

kraker
07-17-2006, 05:11 PM

My choice of words may have been a bit unlucky; seems I've invented the word "contest" in the context of this thread.

Just sharing photos and getting comments on them would be the most valuable part for me. Extending it to a contest, where all participants (or perhaps even all APUGers) can vote for their top 3 (or 5 or...), could be a nice extra. There doesn't need to be any prize other than eternal fame for one month ;) ;)

david b
07-17-2006, 05:34 PM
I think we should start with some content and maybe, starting in 2007, we can have a month contest from this. What do you think about that Jacco?

MattCarey
07-17-2006, 06:25 PM
Giddyup!
How will the monthly subject/assignment be decided? I'm in however it works.
Todd

In the past, there was a poll. People would throw out suggestions and then a poll would be taken to pick the best one.

David has the experience with this, but it seemed towards the end that the poll system may have been too democratic.

Personally, I'd be OK with a system like this,

1) people throw out ideas
2) the moderator is a benevolant dictator who picks a good one or choses his own.

Matt

david b
07-17-2006, 06:42 PM
That is fine with me.

naturephoto1
07-17-2006, 06:51 PM
So, does this mean that David is a benevolent dictator? ;)

Rich

david b
07-17-2006, 07:22 PM
Pipe down or you're outta here :D

Flotsam
07-17-2006, 10:58 PM
Cate
The earlier gallery was called the "APUG Challenge" and it was meant to challenge yourself to make a photograph on a specified subject in a defined timeframe and then share the results for the enjoyment of all. Not a competition, except with yourself.

kraker
07-18-2006, 02:09 PM
I think we should start with some content and maybe, starting in 2007, we can have a month contest from this. What do you think about that Jacco?

That's really OK with me, even if we completely forget about the contest aspect. It's not about the contest for me (although it might offer a solution to the problem of choosing a subject: let the top-3 of month n decide on the subject for month n+1). Really, forget I mentioned the word "contest" :)

Contest? Who said that?