PDA

View Full Version : Discussing a ****** photograph

Pages : 1 [2]

Jim Chinn
08-03-2006, 11:38 PM
Well, with Blansky's rousing seal of approval, Sean contacted me via PM and is going to set up a sub-forum under the photographers forum for discussions such as these. I'll go ahead and stick with the plan and start at the top of this group and let folks know when they are next in line.

Suzanne Revy will post the next one Saturday. I will try to keep the posts rolling along about every 3 days.

Also, I started out with some well known photographers, but any image from any photographer is fine. I just ask that the photo be attributed to someone so others can look up additional work or info if available. Posting a link to a web site with additional images would be fine, but I like the idea of including only one image to talk about. I think the discussion is more focused that way. If someone has posted an image from a photographer you wanted to use go ahead and post a different image from the same artist if you want.

The skys the limit for image ideas. Any genre, time period, or person. Should be fun.

Thanks for all the input.

Jim Chinn
08-04-2006, 12:01 AM
I am absolutely into it! I was afraid the stars were intended to mean d-word photos, or just any other curse...

By the way, would you include APUG people's photos in the process as well?

I guess if someone posts to the galleries (at least the critique gallery) they should not mind their image being discussed as well as anyone with work in the APUG sales gallery. I would only ask that you pick images that you like or find interesting (no what's wrong with this picture posts) and that you try to contact the person so they can join in the discussion.

Any other thoughts on discussing APUG members images? I know of several truly outstanding images that merit discussion (IMHO).

MurrayMinchin
08-04-2006, 12:41 AM
Hi Jim, I'm part of the sometimes not so silent majority who pop in from time to time, but may not want to join the list.

Any other thoughts on discussing APUG members images?

There's so many strong images in all the APUG galleries...shouldn't a PM be sent to APUG'ers, asking permission to discuss one of their images in a gallery other than the critique gallery? Seems the polite thing to do.

Murray

HeliH
08-04-2006, 02:08 AM
This is a great idea. I'd like to participate! If it's possible, I'm not yet a subscriber but I will be a little later...

Jim Chinn
08-04-2006, 05:19 AM
Hi Jim, I'm part of the sometimes not so silent majority who pop in from time to time, but may not want to join the list.

There's so many strong images in all the APUG galleries...shouldn't a PM be sent to APUG'ers, asking permission to discuss one of their images in a gallery other than the critique gallery? Seems the polite thing to do.

Murray

I agree. I can't make others ask but if I want to use an APUG member image I will ask permission.

catem
08-04-2006, 05:25 AM
I agree. I can't make others ask but if I want to use an APUG member image I will ask permission.
Could we not simply stipulate that permission has to be obtained first?

I have no objection to discussing other members' work at all, but I don't think I would want it to turn into mostly members' work, as there is already some space for that in the galleries.
Cate

philldresser
08-04-2006, 07:58 AM
Jim

If you had made this a poll then I would vote yes. I love seeing how different people interpret an image in multiple ways. The previous examples have been a great examples of open forum discussion.

Phill

Michel Hardy-Vallée
08-04-2006, 10:34 AM

I think this would be the right thing to do; this could boost the popularity of the critique gallery.

Jim Chinn
08-04-2006, 10:36 AM
Ok, Apug members images are fine, but you must get permission from that person as I consider this forum seperate from the intent they had when they orginally posted an image to any of the regular galleries.

I don't think it will skew to APUG images. We got a pretty eclectic bunch of folks interested to start and as others rotate in and out I think we will have a nice mix of images from classics to unknowns.

We will be adding new images every 3 days or so. Various images will generate different levels of discussion. Some may produce few posts others dozens. But I think the forum will generate a lot of visits and get others thinking about how they look at and think about photographs.

df cardwell
08-04-2006, 10:58 AM
I'm in Jim..

don

Jim Chinn
08-04-2006, 03:25 PM
A quick correction. Sean is going to set us up as a sub-forum under Members Organized Functions.

c6h6o3
09-14-2006, 08:17 PM
I would simply ask that you post a new thread each time in the Photographers Forum and title it with the format Discuss a (photographers name) photograph..

What ever the number of people, we will simply keep going rotating through the list.

What do you think?

I think that you're not rotating through any kind of list. Is this a regulated process or just a big free-for-all? If it's the latter, then I'd like to post one.

Jim Chinn
09-15-2006, 12:10 AM
I was going to have a list of folks who wanted to put up an image and rotate through it so there would regularly be an image under consideration but there is enough people who post out of the blue that it is not needed.

So if you want to post one go for it.

Also thanks to everyone who has either posted an image or contributed to the discussions. I have discovered some new photographers along the way and some new perspectives on others as well.

severian
09-15-2006, 07:29 AM
How do you post an image? Yes i'm serious!

the unnamed,anonymous, hidden, somewhat embarressed, truly tecnically challenged, embarressment to his son, yet willing to be a team player photographer, its easier to remember if you just think- UAHSETTCTPP

EASmithV
12-05-2008, 04:59 PM
a what?

f/stopblues
12-05-2008, 07:41 PM
He might have forgotten by now. He wrote that 2 years and 3 months ago ;-)