PDA

View Full Version : Plate holder madness

Pages : 1 [2]

big_ben_blue
08-07-2006, 10:33 PM
A Thornton-Picard should be 5x7", if not half-plate? On the other hand it could be an "export model"... 13x18cm are more a "continental" size.
OK, now you got me seriously confused. The inside dimensions of my holder are 13.1 x 18.1; so it's definitely not a half plate. I got the camera from a guy in Florida actually (America didn't appear to be a prime market for TP's). Anyway, I still only have ONE lonely holder, which doesn't make for extended shooting sessions, LOL. And now I'm worried to hunt for the wrong holder.

Cheers,
Chris

Ole
08-08-2006, 02:18 AM
OK, now you got me seriously confused. The inside dimensions of my holder are 13.1 x 18.1; so it's definitely not a half plate. ...

That certainly looks like the dimensions for a 13x18cm plate camera, yes.

I've also got a camera with only one holder. But in my case that's a good thing, as I discover every time I lift the camera and holder: It's a Russian 30x40cm plate camera...

George Papantoniou
08-08-2006, 09:42 AM
If I had so many different cameras (in so many different formats) and so many different holders to fit so many different film and plate sizes, I'd go nuts (really, this time)... :confused:

Ole
08-08-2006, 10:57 AM
No worries George, I've been nuts for a long time. See the title of this thread...

I currently use 6.5x9cm (two different holders, three cameras), 9x12cm (Voigtländer holders, Linhof adapter, or Linhof Universal holders, or "Regular holders for 4x5" cameras), 4x5" (only regular holders, except I have a 4x5" Linhof Universal holder if I should ever need it), 5x7" (regular holders, plate holder and adapter or Linhof Universal), 13x18cm (Same Linhof Universal, regular holders, and book-style plate holders with film sheaths), 18x24cm (book-style, with film sheath), 24x30cm (book-style again) and 30x40cm (ditto).

And today I was going out to take some 4x5" B&W pictures: A freezer full of film contained every possible size except 4x5" B&W... I shot colour instead.

meltronic
08-08-2006, 01:03 PM
Ole, are any of your 9x12 holders branded "Contessa Nettel"? If so I'd love to have them. I think they may be the same as Fotokor 9x12, but I've never tried those. If you have any Fotokor holders, I suppose I'd like to try those too. I have only 5 holders for my Contessa Nettel Tessco now, so I'm anxious to get hold of a few more.

By the way, when I say "have them", I do mean "pay for them" of course.

Yours,
Matt

I've attached some pics to guide you!

MenacingTourist
08-08-2006, 01:20 PM
Ole,

So you're the reason I can never find holders for my 6.5x9! I have 5 but on a couple the slide doesn't want to go back in and I've ruined a few shots messing with the holder. I would love to get a few more just to be on the safe side.

See you around that auction site :)

Alan.

Ole
08-08-2006, 02:38 PM
Alan, I've got more than I need now. What's your camera?

MenacingTourist
08-09-2006, 12:42 PM
Ole,

Here's a few shots of my camera and a holder. I had more pics of the inside of the holder but as soon as I loaded them up with film my wife erased the camera and I had to shoot them all over again.

I have no idea what brand this is or how old it may be. I think it's an ICA but I'm not sure.

Ole
08-09-2006, 12:50 PM
Alan, that looks like a "generic plate camera". There were lots of manufacturers, and they were sold under even more names.

My own example of this is a "Rodenstock" 9x12cm. They usually take the "standard" holders, which the Germans call "Millionenfalz".

Mark Layne
08-10-2006, 07:56 PM
I recently arranged to buy a 10x15cm Ica Tropica and picked up the correct holders for it with film septums. The Tropica turned out to be a returnable beat up dog, so the 5 holders are available if any one needs 10x15cm Ica tropical double sided holders (similar to those used on Juwels and Favorits)
Mark

egdinger
08-10-2006, 09:34 PM
I have an old Ziess Ikon Nixe, it takes 122 size roll film, but the back has a slide out part that it looks like I could drop in a plate or film holder. I'm just trying to figure out which one. Any advice?

Ole
08-11-2006, 01:47 AM
http://www.pacificrimcamera.com/pp/zeiss/nixe/nixe.htm

which size have you got?

MenacingTourist
08-11-2006, 08:03 AM
It must be all the positive energy on this thread. I just bought 6 holders I "think" will fit my generic camera. Hopefully the generic part means it will take a wide range of holders :)

My total now is 11 so I really only need one more. Why is it always like that?

Ole
08-11-2006, 08:28 AM
My total now is 11 so I really only need one more. Why is it always like that?

I'm not the right person to ask - I seem to be developing a habit of buying cameras to fit my plate holders. :rolleyes:

So now I'm trying to find a way to get rid of my stereo-plate holders - I can't afford a stereo camera right now!

George Papantoniou
08-11-2006, 08:39 AM
Just got your adapter and holders in my mailbox today, Ole...

I really have to thank you for this generous (and fast) gesture, rest assured that I will do my best to make nice pictures with them (just hope the plates are still usable).

As I told you, I am leaving soon and will start planning and shooting in the beginning of Autumn... I'll try to do it as fast as I can, although it depends on the models that I'll find too. Yesterday I was promised that someone would pose for me when she's back in town (next October).

GP

Ole
08-11-2006, 08:46 AM
Just got your adapter and holders in my mailbox today, Ole...

That was fast! At least outgoing mail is moving along - even if the incoming isn't. I've been waiting 3 weeks for a box of plates off ebay uk...

egdinger
08-11-2006, 01:58 PM
Ole it is a 551/6 making 9x14cm images, but it looks like it uses sheet film not plates so I guess this is the wrong thread now.