PDA

View Full Version : Linhof plate holders

smieglitz
08-05-2006, 08:50 PM
Last month I took a Daguerreotype workshop from Jason Motamedi and he brought along several mid-20th century Linhof 4x5 dryplate holders with spring-loaded pressure plates and a neat ejection lever. I'm wondering if Linhof made these in other sizes, specifically 5x7, whole-plate, and quarter-plate. Anyone know and/or have one in any size they would be willing to part with?

Joe

Roger Hicks
08-06-2006, 03:44 AM
Dear Joe,

They certainly made them in both 6.5x9cm and 13x18cm because I have several of both (as well as 4x5 inch). It would be logical if there were also 5x7 inch and half-plate versions with the same external dimensions as 13x18cm, though I don't recall any quarter-plate Linhofs.

Because of the spring loaded pressure plate they can be used with both film and plates, and indeed, I believe they wer aold (until about the 1970s) as 'film/plate holders'. The ejector arm also tells you if they are loaded, of course.

They are, however, damnably heavy and if you're buying, check the hinge on the bottom flap. They sometimes break there are are sometimes superglued back together.

Cheers,

R.

Ole
08-06-2006, 05:25 AM
I've got them in 9x12 and 13x18cm, as well as 4x5". They're known as "Linhof Universal Film- und Plattenkassette mit Auswerfer". I haven't seen a 5x7" one, but a 5x7" plate can be used in a 13x18cm holder.

An older version is an adapter allowing single-plate metal hoders to be used in "modern" backs. I've got a 9x12cm to 4x5", a 10x15cm to 5x7", and a 13x18cm to 5x7" adapter (all with matching plate holders).