PDA

View Full Version : "Annual" Northern Michigan Gathering 2007

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6

jamie young
09-07-2006, 06:33 AM
Sounds good. As long as people run around and are in it a few times.They can hold different cameras on either end. It makes things more interesting
Jamie

billschwab
09-22-2006, 02:04 PM
Sounds good. As long as people run around and are in it a few times.They can hold different cameras on either end. It makes things more interesting
JamieGreat Jamie. Sounds like fun. What if we all run to the other end? :)

Bill

gphoto120
11-22-2006, 10:43 AM
Bill,

I'm very interested in attending your meeting next summer. Do I need to sign up here or just confirm next Spring ? Also, is there a fee or deposit needed?

Thanks,
Gary P.

billschwab
11-22-2006, 10:48 AM
Bill,

I'm very interested in attending your meeting next summer. Do I need to sign up here or just confirm next Spring ? Also, is there a fee or deposit needed?

Thanks,
Gary P.Gary, Glad to have you. No fee, just you and your gear. More will be mailed if you get on the mailing list (http://www.northlightworkshops.com/subscribe/index.html).

B

jamie young
01-08-2007, 08:50 PM
Hi Bill Still thinking of the 19th to the 24th?
I tend to need to plan ahead before everyone esle in the family makes plans first. Thanks, Jamie

billschwab
01-08-2007, 09:43 PM
Hi Bill Still thinking of the 19th to the 24th?
It's on Jamie.

Bill

Lopaka
01-09-2007, 08:46 AM
Listed on my calendar!

Bob

billschwab
01-09-2007, 08:48 AM
Listed on my calendar!Excellent. Looking forward to meeting you Bob.

Bill

CGross
01-09-2007, 02:07 PM
Hi Bill, is there anything specific we will need to bring besides lot's of film :)

I assume that everyone attending will need to find lodging as well. Any recommendations since things seem to fill up quickly.

I am really looking forward to this. I am just getting ready to make a LF purchase so I will probably have alot of questions.

Also, have you ever done any shooting in the Pictured Rocks park up in the UP? I am thinking I may try to incorporate a visit up there in conjunction with this and wonder what it would be like there in late June early July.

Thanks so much

Lopaka
01-09-2007, 02:29 PM
Also, have you ever done any shooting in the Pictured Rocks park up in the UP? I am thinking I may try to incorporate a visit up there in conjunction with this and wonder what it would be like there in late June early July.

Two things you will need: good hiking boots and bug repellent. Most good areas to shoot from shore require lots of walking. The rocks face northwest, so late in the day is best. There is a boat tour from Munising - best trip is the sunset cruise, gives the softer evening light over your shoulder. Also this time of day brings out the textures in the rock better, as well as warmer colors for color shooters. Shooting from the boat will require hand-held and faster film.

Bob

jamie young
01-09-2007, 03:04 PM
I've been to pictured rocks and just love it up there. I don't tend to be much for touristy "boat rides" but it's worth taking the boat tour out along the shore, especially near sunset. Sand point is great. Also chapel rock and beach, and mosquito beach are interesting. Grand sable dunes is worth checking out as well. I might go through there as well.
Jamie

CGross
01-09-2007, 03:05 PM
Two things you will need: good hiking boots and bug repellent.

Is this area full of those little black biting flies/nats?

Lopaka
01-09-2007, 03:16 PM
Is this area full of those little black biting flies/nats?

Late June is usually still bug season in the UP (depends on how much warm weather there is in June). So you will probably still encounter them in well shaded areas. The mosquito is the 'state bird' up there, how much you see of them depends on how much rain. Hot, dry weather usually suppresses all that but brings more of the stable flies. They look like house flies except they tend to bite - mostly exposed skin at the lower extremities so shorts are not recommended. If the weather is cool, long sleeves, a hat and good bug spray usually keep you fairly comfortable.

Bob

billschwab
01-21-2007, 11:30 AM
Is this area full of those little black biting flies/nats?It is not too bad around us as far as the black flies. You do run into them on the beach on calm nights, but they're nothing a good bug repellant won't cure. Fly season is winding down in the latter part of June. Up in the UP, particularly on Superior can get pretty bad up into July. Hope this helps.

Bill

Mark Fisher
01-21-2007, 12:26 PM
I'm planning on being up there. It is a fair drive for me for a long weekend, but I'm sure it will be worth it. Is there anything I need to plan for? I can either camp (pop up or tent) or hotel it.

Sounds great -- Mark

billschwab
01-21-2007, 12:56 PM
Is there anything I need to plan for? I can either camp (pop up or tent) or hotel it.Hi Mark, I'll be sending out notice of the gathering in the next couple of weeks. It pretty much lays out lodging options, etc. Camping is available on my property, but keep in mind that facilities are rustic. More to come.

Bill

gr82bart
02-06-2007, 12:52 PM
This looks cool. What's the closest airport?

Thanks, Art.

billschwab
02-06-2007, 01:15 PM
Hi Art,

It would be great to have you! The nearest airport is very close in Pellston, Michigan... you can get a car there or we can pick you up.

PLN for the airport code.

Bill

Dinesh
02-06-2007, 03:34 PM
This looks cool. What's the closest airport?

Thanks, Art.

Feel like driving Art?

gr82bart
02-09-2007, 07:35 AM
Feel like driving Art?Definitely not from CT! I'd be flying in. Hmmm...got to find a rental car when I get there though. Plus I'd only come for the weekend - Friday to Sunday, maybe Thursday - still planning.

Regards, Art.