PDA

View Full Version : "Annual" Northern Michigan Gathering 2007

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Lopaka
02-09-2007, 01:55 PM
Art, you would likely fly into Detroit and change planes there. Traverse City would likely have a better choice of flights and rental cars. Just another option to consider.

Bob

billschwab
02-09-2007, 04:47 PM
Art, you would likely fly into Detroit and change planes there. Traverse City would likely have a better choice of flights and rental cars. Just another option to consider.Bob's got a point, but Pellston is pretty well equiped airport these days. Major rental cars and 4 flights from Detroit daily via NWA. It is only 6 miles from us, Traverse City is almost 90.

Bill

Lopaka
02-09-2007, 08:46 PM
That's good to know - I wasn't aware Pellston's service had grown so. Cherry Capital Airport does more PR.

Bob

billschwab
02-19-2007, 04:53 PM
I've had a lot of notes from folks about this year's gathering. It is still on and you can find lodging and area information at this LINK (http://www.northlightworkshops.com/links_area.html). I've been offered a block of rooms at The Birchwood Inn (http://www.birchwoodinn.com)at a discount if we can fill 10 of them. Think on this if you are not planning to camp and let me know via PM as soon as you can. If we hit 10, I'll book the block. I'd also like to have a few things planned for us as a group for this year. Anyone with suggestions or that would like to do a demo of some kind, feel free to make a pitch.

I'm off to Iceland in a couple of days and plan to get together this year's information package soon after my return.

Till then...

Bill

jamie young
02-19-2007, 08:33 PM
I still want to do a cirkut shot of the group, with a few people running around. I could also go out and look for photos to shoot and show others how the cameras work. I have a number of Al vistas and kodak panorams as well, and have started shooting with them. I have in the past put together a panoramic photo presentation- more of a slide presentation talk, if anyone is interested.
I'll be bringing a couple of cirkuts, roundshots, al-vistas (al vistas are large format antique swing lense cameras), and maybe some graflexes.
Jamie Young
Madison, Wi

billschwab
02-19-2007, 08:36 PM
This sounds great Jamie. I have a large area where we could show your slides. More as it nears.

Bill

I have in the past put together a panoramic photo presentation...

CGross
02-21-2007, 12:37 PM
Jamie, I would really like to watch and learn how your cirkut's work and see your presentation.

On a side note: Of those attending the gathering at Bill's, are any of you also attending the View Camera Conference in Louisville? It's a week after.
Since Louisville is so close to Cincinnati, I am definately planning to go.

Cody

I still want to do a cirkut shot of the group, with a few people running around. I could also go out and look for photos to shoot and show others how the cameras work. I have a number of Al vistas and kodak panorams as well, and have started shooting with them. I have in the past put together a panoramic photo presentation- more of a slide presentation talk, if anyone is interested.
I'll be bringing a couple of cirkuts, roundshots, al-vistas (al vistas are large format antique swing lense cameras), and maybe some graflexes.
Jamie Young
Madison, Wi

jmxphoto
03-13-2007, 01:23 AM
I'm having my annual family vacation about 5 minutes down the road from cross village that week. I'd like to join in on some of the festivities. I've recently had a film reawakening after several years of shooting, well, you know. I recently acquired a Graflex Pacemaker 4x5 that I've been shooting polaroids with to sort of stick my toe back in the water. I'm working back up to film. I'm interested in darkroom work though I've only developed film. I shot a good amount of 35mm and 6x7 before 2004. So basically, yeah, I'm a very enthusiastic large format noob. Thankfully not knowing what I'm doing never stopped me before! :)

-James

billschwab
03-13-2007, 07:38 AM
Hi James! You will be more than welcome. Family from the area... or just a favorite spot chosen for the festivities? Anyway... more will come soon on all of this.

Bill

jmxphoto
03-13-2007, 12:35 PM
Hi James! You will be more than welcome. Family from the area... or just a favorite spot chosen for the festivities? Anyway... more will come soon on all of this.

Bill

We live in Saginaw, but several years ago my wife scoured the internet and found a great deal on a large lakefront cabin. We've rented it for one week a year ever since and her family joins us. There's so much to do in the area including Mackinac Island, lighthouses, the bridge, fort, waterfalls, beaches, there's a lot to do and it's quiet if you don't want to do anything. Plenty to take pictures of! :D

billschwab
03-13-2007, 12:55 PM
Plenty to take pictures of! :D Endless! You must be along 119 - "Tunnel of Trees". Beautiful. We're very close. We'll be setting up a dinner at the Legs, maybe that will work for you.

Stay tuned...

Bill

billschwab
03-18-2007, 06:22 PM
Northern Michigan Photographer's Gathering
Cross Village, Michigan
June 19 - 25, 2007

Skill Level: All
Fee: Free

Sorry to take so long with this announcement! The 2007 Northern Michigan Gathering of Photographers is set and this will be the only announcement made in the APUG site, so pass the word on to anyone you know is interested that may miss this posting. An announcement will also be going out to my subscription list.

Please direct all future questions and comments via my workshops website. Notice that we have extended this year's gathering due to popular request. No one wanted to leave last year!

Although the event is free of charge, you must still REGISTER (http://www.northlightworkshops.com/workshops/register_form_gathering_2007.html) to attend. Upon registration you will be sent directions and further information about attending the event. This year we have a block of rooms reserved at the nearby Birchwood Inn, a very nice place to lay your head after a long day of socializing and shooting. A minimum of 10 rooms must be booked to get the discount rate. If you wish to choose this option and reserve a room, simply make this choice on your registration form. Once we have a count that matches or exceeds 10, we will make the group booking.

Please use the following links to:

See More Info and Photos of 2006 (http://www.northlightworkshops.com/workshops/michigan_gathering/)

Register (http://www.northlightworkshops.com/workshops/register_form_gathering_2007.html)

Download Information Packet (http://www.northlightworkshops.com/pdf/michigan_gathering_info_2007.pdf)(Adobe PDF)

Ask Questions and Contact (http://www.northlightworkshops.com/contact.html)

Thank you! Hope to see you there!

Bill Schwab

North Light Workshops (http://www.northlightworkshops.com)

Travis Nunn
03-18-2007, 07:16 PM
Hey Bill, I really wish I could attend this but I can't. If, however, you do this again next year, I'll be there.

billschwab
03-19-2007, 03:06 PM
Northern Michigan Photographer's Gathering
Cross Village, Michigan
June 19 - 25, 2007

Forgive me!!! I mean June 19 to 24.... Sorry about that.

Bill

Jerry Basierbe
03-19-2007, 05:59 PM
Not that we'd mind staying the extra day!!

Jerry

Forgive me!!! I mean June 19 to 24.... Sorry about that.

Bill

jp80874
03-28-2007, 09:36 PM
Bill,

I am hoping you will make time to show us an Iceland travelogue, complete with prints and war stories.

John Powers

jamie young
03-29-2007, 06:40 AM
I second that - I spent three days there, and long to go back. An incredible landscape.
Jamie

billschwab
05-08-2007, 11:42 AM
Hi All,

Just a quick note to say that the block of rooms is set-up at the Birchwood Inn and you can call in your reservations at any time. Ask for the North Light Press room rate. A lot have signed-up, so I urge you to make your reservation soon. You do not have to reserve the full date range of June 19 - 24 to get the discount rate. I know most seem to be arriving on Thursday. Newsletter soon....

www.birchwoodinn.com

Bill

gr82bart
05-21-2007, 02:04 PM
Well, this is a dilemma for me ... this meeting coincides with an event associated with one of my many other hobbies - the annual Origami USA Convention in NYC. I've been asked to teach one of my favourite models that was created by origami legend Samuel Randlett. I first learned origami from his two books. As well Kiyo Yoshizawa will be presenting a collection of work made by her late husbad Akira, who is the founder of modern origami art. Hmmm .... what to do, what to do?

Regards, Art.

jp80874
05-24-2007, 09:39 AM
Beginning to gather things for the venture north. Black flies have just come out south of Cleveland, OH. Mosquitoes can’t be far behind. What was the most successful black fly and mosquito repellant last year? My pharmacist says look for the highest “deet” content in the repellant. What was your experience?

Thanks,

John Powers