PDA

View Full Version : "Annual" Northern Michigan Gathering 2007

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

billschwab
05-24-2007, 06:25 PM
Hi John,

"Deep Woods Off" works well. Black Flies haven't been a problem though. I am up here by the lake right now and haven't been bitten once. It is a hot... still day too. If they were bad, they would be biting on a day like today. It has been really dry and maybe this is working in our favor.

Bill

jp80874
05-24-2007, 07:50 PM
Oh come on Bill. The ice just went away Tuesday. Of course there are no black flies yet. We just got them today in Cleveland, 425 miles away. Thanks I will look for Deep Woods Off.

Since you are there would you check which brand of MI county map book you have and I will order the same. That way when you tell us where to go there is half a chance I will be able to find it.

In all seriousness, has it been dry enough to worry about fire? Would you like those of us who are driving to bring a fire extinguisher?

Thanks,

John

Frank R
05-24-2007, 10:00 PM
Bill, I am very tempted to come. I have a job interview on Friday and I might be starting a new job within the next couple of weeks.

How late can I let you know?

smieglitz
05-24-2007, 10:38 PM
...What was the most successful black fly and mosquito repellant last year?...

Ether. :p

Joe

smieglitz
05-24-2007, 11:14 PM
Y'all,

I just picked this up yesterday and started to adapt it today into a wetplate collodion mobile darkroom which I hope to have operational by Bill's gathering next month. It should also be able to go from red to totally black inside in case anyone needs to load holders, etc., throughout the day. I'll also now have a use for those magnetic "Darkroom In Use : Do Not Enter" signs. And, a comrade at work has donated a vintage placard expressing the sentiment "If this van's a 'rockin', don't come a knockin".

Michigan vanity license plate "TINTYPE" is on its way to me. :p

http://my.net-link.net/~jsmigiel/images/technical/collodion/RV/Shasta_01_720.jpg

"I said, now I've got my Magic Bus"

Joe

mjs
05-25-2007, 08:02 AM
It should also be able to go from red to totally black inside in case anyone needs to load holders, etc., throughout the day.

Sweet, Joe, and very generous of you. I was wondering how I was going to reload 8x10 film holders. I figured under my sleeping bag in my tent at night, but I'll bet your way is a lot more comfortable!

Mike Sherck

jp80874
05-25-2007, 09:52 AM
Thanks Joe. I wondering the same. I was just starting to build a portable one like your second generation darkroom, but had decided to bring tape and plastic for the hotel bathroom. Very kind of you.

John Powers

Lee L
05-25-2007, 10:36 AM
Brings new meaning to the phrase "lets go out in the van and get loaded". :)

Lee

billschwab
05-26-2007, 10:50 AM
Since you are there would you check which brand of MI county map book you have...John, It was the one put out by Michigan Natural Resources Magazine.... in 1984! I guess I should look for a new one! There is a little shop in Cross Village near here that has very nice detailed maps of Emmet County for 2.99. I was just there this AM and there is a big pile of them. I'll be on the lookout for a new county map book and will pass the word when I find a good one.

As for fire... the danger is quite high. We will have only one campfire in the designated circle. Those that may be smokers, I most likely do not have to tell you to be very careful and pocket your butts. Nothing worse than finding them in the woods...

Bill

billschwab
05-26-2007, 12:05 PM
Joe!

What a cool machine! I look forward to seeing it up here in the woods. Glad you'll have dark capabilities as well. Several have asked and I'm not sure I'll have a place ready yet.

I will be bringing a complete platinum printing set-up with the intent of doing a demo and quicky workshop. I will send a note out to the list soon asking for a small lab fee from those that are interested. If so, you might want to bring a few negs as well.

Bill

smieglitz
05-29-2007, 09:33 PM
Yesterday I took it over to a friend's house to use his ladder and replace a roof vent.

I managed to find an old cassette of Woodstock I. Drove around listening to Canned Heat's "Going Up the Country." Far Out!

LOL...

jamie young
06-11-2007, 10:07 AM
I finally made room reservations today. Can't wait to head north.
I'll be giving a slide show talk on pan photography on friday, and we'll be shooting a cirkut group shot at some point, per Bill's schedule. I'm looking forward to seeing Joe do wet plate, and am curious who else is going? Post your web site if you have one. so we can see your work ahead of time.
Jamie Young
www.jamieyoungphoto.com

jp80874
06-12-2007, 07:43 AM
Peter Schrager and I are staying at the Birchwood Inn, arriving Monday. Anyone else coming in early? Looking for dinner conversation Monday or breakfast at the Inn Tuesday.

Peter has some work in the galleries here and a show just finished at the Valley Photo Center. I'll bring some 20x24 B&W enlargements from 8x10 negs of a greenhouse series done last fall, “six acres under glass”. One piece of that work is juried into the six state FAVA show at Oberlin. I'll also bring work in progress, 7x17 contacts of the Ohio-Erie barge canal in the Cuyahoga Valley National Park, how it has changed since it was functional circa 1810-1913.

Looking forward to meeting all, seeing interesting work, watching interesting people make work, and shooting film.

John Powers

CGross
06-12-2007, 12:47 PM
John, I am arriving slightly early!! Probably getting up to the Petosky area around 9:00 am on Tuesday and poking around the area until the afternoon.

On a side note. Is there any place between Cincinnati and Grand Rapids that I could get 4x5 film? Not Detroit though, unless something west of Detroit. I will most likely be driving through Dayton, Fort Wayne, Lansing to get to GR. But could go through Toldeo, Ann Arbor, as well.

If anyone knows a place, great, if not no biggie. Just looking to pick up some more readyloads.

jp80874
06-12-2007, 01:27 PM
snowymtphotos,
I would call Midwest Photo Exchange Jim Andracki, LF Dept. 614) 261-1264 3313 N. High St. Columbus, OH 43202. If he has it, UPS Ground will deliver any place in the state next day.

When I moved up in size I sold off sealed boxes. I have four open boxes of sheet film, not ready loads, in the freezer. If you get desperate I can bring those and do a piece count in the dark room.

Dodd Camera's Professional store in Cleveland went down to carrying one box of 4x5 two years ago.

I would think Calumet or B&H could get it to you before the weekend with two day UPS service.

Let me know if you need the open boxes.

John

CGross
06-12-2007, 02:25 PM
I will definately call Jim, and if anything order something from Calumet.

I have plenty of sheet film, but if you will never use the open boxes, bring them along and I'll pay you for them. My biggest challenge is empty boxes !!!!

I just moved up to 4x5 so have no empties to put exposed film in....have been staring at some matte board thinking about whipping up a film box, but haven't tackled that yet.

Cody

Dan Henderson
06-12-2007, 02:39 PM
Hey, if you're driving through GR (or Kalamazoo for that matter) you might give Norman's Camera a call. They might have some 4x5 film, depending on what you want. Looking forward to seeing all of the old faces and meeting the new ones up north next week. I'm planning to get there early Wednesday morning.

CGross
06-12-2007, 11:14 PM
Thanks Dan. I may give them a call. All of the local shops here in Cincinnati do not carry any readyloads or much LF film for that matter. Arrrggghh!!

Quick check on the long range weather forecast at accuweather is showing the following:

19th - Morning rain; overcast Hi 70 L 42 - Looks like potential for evening rain
20th - Clouds and limited sun Hi 66 L 45
21st - Times of clouds and sun Hi 69 L 50
22nd - Sunny to partly cloudy Hi 74 L 56
23rd - Rather cloudy Hi 76 L 60
24th - Mostly cloudy and warm Hi 80 L 57

Overall it looks like pretty favorable weather.

Cody

Thomas Bertilsson
06-14-2007, 03:21 PM
Let me wish everyone a happy gathering. I had this fairly firmly set in stone to attend this year, but some recent developments have put a halt to it. Next year, next year... Have a lot of fun, and post lots of images in the galleries!
- Thomas

North Light Press
06-15-2007, 12:52 PM
Hello All,

Bill here. I mistakenly put this thread on ignore and can't undo it for some reason. Anyway, this is the reason for the posting under my business' name.

I am working on the final details of the loose schedule that will go out later this evening. The first couple of days will be pretty low key as most aren't arriving until Thursday or Friday. I should be there by 2PM Tuesday and you will be welcome to come and set-up camp then. I have to ask this year that everyone park up on the road to keep the place as free of cars as we can. You can drive in to drop your camp gear and then move it back out to the road. We only have 2 small roads on the property and it can get pretty bottled up in there with only a few cars. Parking on the main road is no problem as there is plenty of room on the side and very little traffic down our dirt road.

More if I think of it.

As for the weather... up in the Straits area can often be quite different due to the meeting of the 2 Great Lakes. Very often the rest of the state can be socked-in and we will be beautiful. However it does go the other way as well, so cross your fingers!

Bill