PDA

View Full Version : LOOK WHAT I BOUGHT AT AUCTION

Gay Larson
08-14-2006, 04:50 PM
http://www.shopgoodwill.com/viewItem.asp?ItemID=2132322

Wondering if I made a mistake but the last two photographs really peaked my interest. Don't know what I'll do with them?? Did I make a huge mistake?

ann
08-14-2006, 05:00 PM
as long as your happy and love the photos.

they look wonderful

pgomena
08-14-2006, 05:54 PM
Looks like a nice little collection of cartes-de-visites. Their qualities of posing, lighting and process will delight and amaze you. Enjoy.

Peter Gomena

Sean
08-14-2006, 06:00 PM
They look to be in great condition, nice find!

Kino
08-14-2006, 06:35 PM
You could have a lot of fun, making up stories of extended family members, "Uncle Harry died in Instanbul under mysterious circumstances and was buried in a lead coffin", etc..

Have fun!

Gay Larson
08-14-2006, 10:24 PM
You could have a lot of fun, making up stories of extended family members, "Uncle Harry died in Instanbul under mysterious circumstances and was buried in a lead coffin", etc..

Have fun!

I won't have to make up stories, we have some pretty good ones but perhaps for the middle eastern photos I might have to embelish!

Jim Chinn
08-14-2006, 10:45 PM
They look pretty neat. I think there is some kind of a gene in some photographers to collect old work. Walker Evans was fanatical about collecting post cards. I have a small collection of hand colored lantern slides.
It's a nice simple way to have a connection to an earlier time in the medium's history.

Charles Webb
08-21-2006, 02:27 PM
studying these early photographs will give you a great understanding of the early lighting techniques and posing methods used by the fine portrait photographers of long ago. Much of the technique is as good today as when your photo collection was originally made.

A good buy in my opinion!

Charlie............................

DKT
08-21-2006, 02:49 PM
they're probably albumen prints. the smaller ones are carte-de-visites, and the larger ones are most likely Cabinet cards....

Gay Larson
08-21-2006, 05:29 PM
they're probably albumen prints. the smaller ones are carte-de-visites, and the larger ones are most likely Cabinet cards....

Thanks very much, this helps.

DKT
08-21-2006, 06:53 PM
what do the backs look like? any interesting designs or logos?

Gay Larson
08-21-2006, 10:06 PM
Almost all of them have a logo on the back, some are quite ornate. One has a picture of a house with the word "Melander" above it, that is the name of the studio. One has a poem on the back of it identifying the subject, it is from Boston. The poem reads" Remember me when this you see and always bear in mind that Hilda is my given name and Andersen comes behind". It is a portrait of a woman. The two of the middle eastern man have his name written in cursive "David Shahbaz" Several say "instantanous process"