PDA

View Full Version : Les McLean/ Texas Workshop Print Exchange

Pages : [1] 2 3

Valerie
08-17-2006, 04:49 PM
Ok Guys & Gals--here's the long-awaited for info on our exchange, based on PM's Todd and I received:

Send each participant a print (Todd's and Steve's prints can be mailed together to either one's address).

Prints due in six weeks (that would be about the last week of September).

Size is up to each person.

If you did not get a list of addresses, PM me or Todd. Barry and Brandon--where are you guys??? We would love to include y'all in this!

kwmullet
08-18-2006, 07:02 AM
Sounds great! I'm glad you guys got the ball rolling on this. Yet another motivation to get my darkroom completed soon.

-KwM-

Valerie
09-15-2006, 04:29 PM
Awesome!!! I received my first print from the workshop exchange. Thanks so much Clay!

Valerie

kwmullet
09-17-2006, 04:40 PM
Awesome!!! I received my first print from the workshop exchange. Thanks so much Clay!

Valerie

Our home now has a second print from Clay for our modest collection of exchange prints. As usual, anything from Clay is at once both humbling and motivating, as I would expect any print would be from someone who has achieved his level of mastery.

Thanks very much for the print, Clay! When you have time, maybe you can post a bit about the story behind the shot and anything special you did to create it (in the light or the dark). I was thinking it was a Holga shot, but Dianna swears it's a Diana shot.

-KwM-

clay
09-17-2006, 06:15 PM
It's a Diana shot alright. The most important thing to remember about shooting toy cameras is to be lucky that day. I generally always shoot the thing with the widest aperture, and count on pyrocat developer to help tame any crazy overexposure in the highlight areas. It also helps to use a film like Tri-X (400TX) or HP-5 that has a shoulder in it's characteristic curve. Other than that, I just get a lot of practice at estimating distance. The shot I sent everyone was taken on a pretty gloomy day, so it was a bit thin and low contrast. I ended up printing it with a 4-1/2 contrast grade filter and doing some dodging on the longhorn's horn to keep some detail there. I developed it in Ilford Warmtone and used my homebrew bleach and redevelop sepia toner that I have tuned up to give me purplish colors on Ilford MGIV.

wfe
09-21-2006, 10:20 AM
Thanks for the print Clay, very nice !!! :)

All of my prints went in the mail today.

Regards,
Bill

kwmullet
09-25-2006, 03:55 PM
Thanks for the print Clay, very nice !!! :)

All of my prints went in the mail today.

Regards,
Bill

Bill,

Your print graced my doorstep about two minutes ago.

My involuntary reaction when I peeled back the wonderfully intricate packing to reveal the print was to exclaim "oh my lord!"

Wonderful print, image and subject matter. Thanks for the cover sheet with the tech details. When you have time, please tell the narrative of the image.

I could just sit and look at that image for an hour, but I've got a test to study for, so I'll have to hold off on that until later in the week.

Thank you VERY much!

-KwM-

Valerie
09-25-2006, 04:04 PM
Mine arrived today as well......wonderful!!! Thank you, Bill!

(My paper order arrived as well...hope to get my prints in the mail in a few more days!)

clay
09-27-2006, 12:26 PM
Bill,

Great print! I received it on Monday, and it is one fine printing job. Congrats.

wfe
09-27-2006, 12:36 PM
Bill,

Great print! I received it on Monday, and it is one fine printing job. Congrats.

Thanks Clay it is one of my favorites.

Regards,
Bill

Valerie
09-27-2006, 04:05 PM
I guess I should have done this sooner. But, for those of you sending prints to a "certain someone" overseas, you can send them to me and I will send them to him all together. Yes, I DO promise not to keep them for myself! LOL

kwmullet
10-10-2006, 05:10 PM
Got back from class to find that during the rainy, mucky day, another "joyful square of foamcore" arrived at my doorstep. None of the day's moisture got inside the package, which when I opened it, revealed two beautiful prints.

Steve and Todd, thanks for two wonderful prints to add to our collection! Self-deprocating comments by Steve to the contrary, there's not a single thing I would change about either print.

I would hang them outside the nigh-completed darkroom, but I wouldn't want anyone to mistakenly think they were my work.

I'll have to do some good thinkin' on how to approach this exchange. Given what I've seen already, I'll have to really pull a rabbit out of a hat and do something special for my contribution.

cheers,

-KwM-

Valerie
10-10-2006, 06:20 PM
Got mine too!!!! Steve, Todd--they are soooo beautiful! I am going to clear a wall just for exchange photos!

shicks5319
10-11-2006, 08:39 PM
hi all,

I have missed this thread altogether; basically relying on the round of PM's sent early on.

Glad to hear the NM shipment is making its destination alright.

Todd and I did NOT make a print for Les or Lee, but I think it's a wonderful idea. Hold on Valerie and I get another set over to you in a few days for that purpose.

This is a lot of fun. First one I have been involved in.

wfe
10-12-2006, 06:54 PM
Steve and Todd,
I received my twofer, beautiful prints that are a wonderful addition to my collection. Thanks !!!

Regards,
Bill

toddstew
10-16-2006, 07:33 PM
Hey all,
I'm glad everybody is doing this. It's always nice to receive prints in the mail, but these are especially nice because we all share something surrounding this work. To everybody who is worried about not meeting the "deadline"; don't worry about it, take your time.
Thanks everybody,
Todd

JustK
10-24-2006, 12:34 PM
Greetings All!

I am happy to report that I mailed a photo yesterday to half of the group - Bill, Clay, Val. And I will be in the darkroom this week, to print more of the same, or something different, for the rest of the group -Todd, Steve, Kevin.

Thanks again for your patience and encouragement!!!

BTW I won't be opening any of your photo packages until I have finished sending all of mine out, and I am looking forward to that very special time, it will be kind of like Christmas! :) :D

Blessings to You and Yours,
Krystyna

kwmullet
10-24-2006, 12:42 PM
You guys are something else. I wish the workshop wasn't just a one-time thing. Sure would be nice if we could get together and compare progress and directions about once a quarter or so.

Once I start taking actual photo classes at UNT, those folks will have quite a high mark to meet.

-KwM-

David Brown
10-24-2006, 12:51 PM
You guys are something else. I wish the workshop wasn't just a one-time thing. Sure would be nice if we could get together and compare progress and directions about once a quarter or so.
-KwM-

Other than the obvious travel issues, I'm sure a regular reunion could happen. Especially if you include the similar workshop participants from the prior year. ;)

"If you build it, they will come."

toddstew
10-24-2006, 07:42 PM
I would love it if we could all get together again in the future. It's amazing how well we all seemed to get to know each other within the span of a few days. Let's start talking about it. There's a big photography festival going on this summer in Santa Fe. I would be happy to get us all together for something then if people were interested.
Todd