PDA

View Full Version : Discuss this Esther Bubley photograph

Pages : 1 2 [3]

SuzanneR
08-18-2006, 09:35 AM
Well, curiosity got the better of me and I did a quick search.

Hope I'm not spoiling the fun, but think it must be Esther Bubley, who I confess I hadn't heard of before. Great name (almost as good as 'bloviated' :) ). Seems like she has very solid credentials...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Esther_Bubley

Cate

Thanks for the link, Cate. I love discovering great photographers I've never heard of!!

donbga
08-18-2006, 09:36 AM
Well, curiosity got the better of me and I did a quick search.

Hope I'm not spoiling the fun, but think it must be Esther Bubley, who I confess I hadn't heard of before. Great name (almost as good as 'bloviated' :) ). Seems like she has very solid credentials...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Esther_Bubley

Cate

Cate,

You win the rubber cigar. Good work! :)

Nathan Smith
08-18-2006, 09:39 AM
Well, assuming that it IS by Esther Bubley (which hasn't yet been confirmed) I'm glad to have been informed/reminded of her.

(Sorry, it HAS been confirmed - I'm too late on the draw today I guess)

Having said that, this would been more:

1.) fun if the poster got around to telling us the answer sooner before things turned into an argument which you should assume will happen if you wait long enough since they almost always do, and

2.) useful if we all discussed the aspects of the photo which made it work so well.

The composition is obviously wonderful, I'd love to see a larger version to better appreciate the painterly effect and better understand how it was acheived. This is one that I think would not have been nearly as effective in B&W, she apparently thought so too.

catem
08-18-2006, 09:44 AM
Cate,

You win the rubber cigar. Good work! :)

Thanks Don. If I'd known there was a prize I wouldn't have complained.
(But do it again and it'd better be a real one :p ).

Cate

tim atherton
08-18-2006, 11:06 AM
Well, assuming that it IS by Esther Bubley (which hasn't yet been confirmed) I'm glad to have been informed/reminded of her.

www.estherbubley.com

http://www.estherbubley.com/nyc_el_frame_set.htm

Artur Zeidler
08-18-2006, 11:27 AM
One further thought is that using another photographer's picture in this way, without a credit, is almost certainly illegal. Actually it's illegal with a credit, but most people aren't going to be too worried about that.
R.

In most jurisdictions this falls clearly under Fair Dealing (or Fair Use depending on where you are.)

As much as some people dislike them, hotlinks would also be more preferable than saving a file to APUG, as you are then not even posting the photograph on this site, merely giving a visul link to its original loaction.

(Not that it would prevent someone choosing to pursue a lawsuit nor does it excuse any real infringements, but jurisdiction in such cases is interesting. The copyright law which applies is always that where the infringement took place - which is where?)

Other than that, if such threads bug you, it probably has more to do with you than the content of the thread. Climbing onto an imaginary high horse usually does not help much with that.

Roger Hicks
08-18-2006, 11:37 AM
Dear Artur,

No, I don't think it would be fair dealing, because that's normally for the purpose of review or discussion of a photographer's (or writer's) work, and concealing the photographer's name rather removes it from this realm. As I said, no one is likely to bother but if you annoy enough people...

Nor do I see an 'imaginary high horse'. I see a statement about a particular kind of thread, with an express rider that it was the type of thread that annoyed me, not a personal attack. Perhaps I could have expressed it better, but at least I tried.

The response was then a personal insult in one post, and glee at annoying me in another. .

Would someone be that rude face-to-face? Probably not. Not unless they really enjoy the occasional punch in the mouth. Saying 'Ah, but it's the internet' is no excuse.

Cheers,

Roger

Ole
08-18-2006, 12:44 PM
Moderator's note:

I've updated the title of the thread with the photographers name.

Now will you please all be nice to each other, and stop using expressions like "bloviated old fart"?

pentaxuser
08-18-2006, 02:38 PM
I can be as polite as can be on this one because all I can see in the space for the attached thumbnails is empty space. I notice that the latest gallery photo is missing again.

Anyone else having this problem? There was no problem this afternoon. Looks like I need to get my insults in quick in future before the phoots disappear and I am left wondering what it is that's exercising the community to have a go at each other.

pentaxuser

Bob F.
08-18-2006, 02:43 PM
I can be as polite as can be on this one because all I can see in the space for the attached thumbnails is empty space. I notice that the latest gallery photo is missing again.

Anyone else having this problem? There was no problem this afternoon. Looks like I need to get my insults in quick in future before the phoots disappear and I am left wondering what it is that's exercising the community to have a go at each other.

pentaxuserAll looking fine to me - everything where it should be. Try refreshing the browser window - you may have a cached version that needs clearing.

As for the rest, I see we are in cat-herding mode again...

I for one am grateful for the original thread as it has introduced me to a class act of whom I was not previously aware.

Cheers, Bob.

mark
08-18-2006, 03:10 PM
Bloviated old fart! God, what a great phrase. I am always on the look out for cool words.

Okay. Now a question, why is the photgrapher's name important? Can't the image be looked at as an image alone?

I liked the idea of this thread. It is a great image and not knowing the author made it better because there was no baggage at all attached to it.

pentaxuser
08-18-2006, 03:32 PM
http://www.apug.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=5632

Despite Tim's attempts to throw us off with the erroneous date - it is clear that this is a picture of a couple of his fellow al-Quedda operatives who are attempting to "blend in" to the local popluace by wearing current fashions.

As anyone in NYC who rides the subways will tell you - the first thing we need to do is check their "backpacks" for explosives.

"Tell a police officer, tell an MTA employee [if you can find one], but don't keep it to yourself." Even if it is Santa bringing you Aunt Selma's fruitcake!

So wrong! It's Doyle and Russo. You must remember the early scenes in the original French Connection. By the way Hackman's drunken scene in the cell in French Connection II as he is drinking brandy to help his cold turkeying from Heroin is one of the best drunks I have ever seen.

pentaxuser

pentaxuser
08-18-2006, 03:45 PM
BobF Thanks. I did what every Ned Ludd should do in that situation. I shut down Windows and re-booted and everything is fine.

I thought Michael's thumbnail of NightHawks was even more painterly and 40s/50s ish.

The best painter today reproducing this feel of people in a vaguely late 1940s/1950s look is Jack Vettriano. If you like this look I am sure you'll like his paintings.

pentaxuser