PDA

View Full Version : Discuss this Esther Bubley photograph

Pages : [1] 2 3

donbga
08-17-2006, 05:58 PM
I thought I would let folks dicuss this photograph without revealing the name of the photographer.

I found this photo a few days ago on the web and I was immediately smitten with this image. Prior to my discovery I wasn't familiar with this photographers work, though they are not unknow. What do you think? I'll reveal the photographers name if no one else can or does.

roteague
08-17-2006, 06:22 PM
Thanks Don. The image is a bit small, but looks historical - I would guess from the 50s. Regardless, I like the repatition of lines and shapes. I don' t know who this image is from, but find it enjoyable anyway.

Sparky
08-17-2006, 06:33 PM
Is this a troll? That's not even a photograph!

Bob F.
08-17-2006, 06:37 PM
Certainly looks like an Edward Hopper-esque painting but too small to see clearly. May be an Edward Hopper inspired photo... Like I said, too small to see.

Whatever, I'd kill for that composition and lighting...

Cheers, Bob.

Claire Senft
08-17-2006, 06:38 PM
Mr. Teague, having my golden years, the 50s,to as being historical has so emotionally effected me that I forgot my opinion of the photo.

copake_ham
08-17-2006, 06:40 PM
Is this a troll? That's not even a photograph!

Don't know if its a troll and don't know if its not a photo but I do remember those gum dispensers in the subways (and els) back in the good 'ol days. Why they sold chewing gum in the subways defies understanding (if you get my drift)

Of course, I never saw a station which had a dispenser on every other post!

blansky
08-17-2006, 07:06 PM
I like it.

Michael

Amund
08-17-2006, 07:16 PM
Hmm, reminds my of some "photos" I saw, by a guy who created them entirely in PS..

blansky
08-17-2006, 07:39 PM
It reminds me of Edward Hopper Nighthawks.

Michael

blansky
08-17-2006, 07:42 PM
Or Bedard.

Michael

roteague
08-17-2006, 07:50 PM
Mr. Teague, having my golden years, the 50s,to as being historical has so emotionally effected me that I forgot my opinion of the photo.

:o Sorry about that..... If it helps, I'm in my 50s, so the 1950s isn't that much of a stretch for me.

blansky
08-17-2006, 07:57 PM
Damn.

Isn't there some sort of age restrictions on this site. Some sort of gold toner for services rendered and, see ya.

Michael

Jon King
08-17-2006, 08:01 PM
Well, it reminds me too of Hopper. The perspective, shadows and colors are similar to many of his paintings.

I'm curious who made it.. and yes. .I've bookmarked the sitting ducks web site (thank you Blansky)

firecracker
08-17-2006, 08:23 PM
Well, it reminds me too of Hopper. The perspective, shadows and colors are similar to many of his paintings.

I thought of the "Early Sunday Morning" painting.

donbga
08-17-2006, 08:28 PM
Certainly looks like an Edward Hopper-esque painting but too small to see clearly. May be an Edward Hopper inspired photo... Like I said, too small to see.

Whatever, I'd kill for that composition and lighting...

Cheers, Bob.

Well I'm glad to hear that others were reminded of Edward Hooper also. That was one of my first thoughts, though I doubt if the photographer was trying to imitate Hooper. Most of thier work was done in B&W and worked with-for Roy Stryker and the FSA. She/he had a long career as a photojournalist and was a long time free lancer for Standard Oil in the 40's and 50's as well as working for Life, Pepsi-Cola, UNICEF, Pan Am traveling around the world making photo-stories.

The photograph was made with a camera and film - no Photoshop.

tim atherton
08-17-2006, 08:36 PM
Damn - I was wracking my brain to remember where I'd seen it recently. I was sorting through an old pile of magazines in the archives and came across an article on her - gotta love serendipity... There were several other NY colour ones as I recall? From the late 40's

Aggie
08-17-2006, 08:40 PM
Dorthea Lange?

donbga
08-17-2006, 08:42 PM
Damn - I was wracking my brain to remember where I'd seen it recently. I was sorting through an old pile of magazines in the archives and came across an article on her - gotta love serendipity... There were several other NY colour ones as I recall? From the late 40's

You are getting warm Tim. The photographer is a her, but not Dorthea Lange.

Aggie
08-17-2006, 08:45 PM
Margret Borke White?

donbga
08-17-2006, 08:48 PM
Margret Borke White?

Nope!