PDA

View Full Version : Marc Riboud; Eiffel Tower painter.

John Bragg
09-12-2006, 05:02 AM
http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://www.hackelbury.co.uk/images/artists/riboud/riboud_pic02.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.hackelbury.co.uk/artists/riboud/riboud_pic02.html&h=500&w=332&sz=41&hl=en&start=39&tbnid=zthQBRt_2y1djM:&tbnh=130&tbnw=86&prev=/images%3Fq%3DMarc%2BRiboud%26start%3D20%26ndsp%3D2 0%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26ie%3DUTF-8%26sa%3DN

Hi Folks,

This picture is one of my personal all time favorites, always reminds me of Stan Laurel for some reason... Dont know why??? Always makes me smile !!
Hope some of you like it too ?

Regards, John.

Bill Mitchell
09-12-2006, 08:44 AM
It's a masterpiece. I couldn't afford a real print, so a poster of this wonderful image hangs on my living room wall (between posters of Ronis' nude at the wash basin, and Man Ray's Violin d'Inges). Thanks for posting it.

Gay Larson
09-12-2006, 12:27 PM
It made me laugh. I really like it, but wonder is he really a painter or was he posing? How high up were they. Lots of questions, no answers.

blansky
09-12-2006, 01:30 PM
Stan Laurel, Buster Keaton, what a great picture.

Michael

John Bragg
09-12-2006, 05:52 PM
It made me laugh. I really like it, but wonder is he really a painter or was he posing? How high up were they. Lots of questions, no answers.

Apparently this was not posed. Riboud just saw the guy doing his very dangerous job in a completely noncholant manner, cigarette in mouth and not a care in the world.

copake_ham
09-12-2006, 06:23 PM
Apparently this was not posed. Riboud just saw the guy doing his very dangerous job in a completely noncholant manner, cigarette in mouth and not a care in the world.

Could be - but these kinds of pics were very popular in the '20's and '30's and relied on using unusual angles to portray a riskier position than was reality.

There is a famous picture of a bunch of ironworkers taking a lunch break during the building of the Empire State Building. They are seated in a row on a steel girder, casually munching their sandwiches seemingly hanging in mid-air with a huge void below down to the distant city streets. Anyone here have that pic available?

Blansky mentioned Buster Keaton. He specialized in being pictured in these kinds of "harrowing" situations.

Bill Mitchell
09-12-2006, 06:40 PM
[QUOTE=copake_ham]
There is a famous picture of a bunch of ironworkers taking a lunch break during the building of the Empire State Building. They are seated in a row on a steel girder, casually munching their sandwiches seemingly hanging in mid-air with a huge void below down to the distant city streets. Anyone QUOTE]

It was by Lewis Hine, but I can't find a link.

Curt
09-12-2006, 06:57 PM
That's the way I felt after dinner and a bottle of wine up there. Great picture I would love to see a picture of the photographer.

copake_ham
09-12-2006, 07:12 PM
This is one I found.

I don't think it's the exact one I remember - Hines probably took a number of them since these guys kept falling off and ruining the shot!

Laurent
09-14-2006, 05:27 AM
Are you sure it is from Lewis Hine ? I was pretty sure about this, but the only reference I could find credited "Anon" (don't even know if this is a real name or means "anonymous").

It really looks like Hine but am unsure

copake_ham
09-14-2006, 10:49 AM
Are you sure it is from Lewis Hine ? I was pretty sure about this, but the only reference I could find credited "Anon" (don't even know if this is a real name or means "anonymous").

It really looks like Hine but am unsure

Was found, fully-credited, on the website of a major US newspaper that sells prints of it for significant $.....