PDA

View Full Version : What is "Fine Art"?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11

Steve Smith
06-22-2009, 08:38 AM
What is art as opposed to fine art?

One of my friends owns a gallery. I asked her what the difference was between art and fine art. She said about 40% extra on selling price!

Steve.

JBrunner
06-22-2009, 09:22 AM
There's art, and then there's Art, and of course fine art, and also Fine Art, which BTW is different than Find Art, which is a children's book with very complicated and colorful illustrations, in each of which a certain Canadian photographer and his camera is hidden.

jnanian
06-22-2009, 09:48 AM
One of my friends owns a gallery. I asked her what the difference was between art and fine art. She said about 40% extra on selling price!

Steve.

EXACTLY

it is a term concocted
to assure higher sales prices ...
just a label ...

jgcull
06-22-2009, 02:24 PM
>>>"My wife asks me when I am going to create beautifull images in stead of technical perfect images...<<<

That makes me smile. You've gotta love those people who know you closely enough to say that! Don't you?

Willie Jan
06-23-2009, 03:46 AM
>>>"My wife asks me when I am going to create beautifull images in stead of technical perfect images...<<<

That makes me smile. You've gotta love those people who know you closely enough to say that! Don't you?

maybe i should ask my wife to coach me:D

ChristopherCoy
01-16-2012, 11:00 AM
I see the term 'fine art' all the time in the photography world, but I truly have no idea what it actually is. When I think of a 'fine art' portrait, I think of a model sitting in a classical pose on the end of a settee, with some low key lighting, and rich jewel toned colored fabrics. Or I think of some abstract photo that would be hanging in some expensive, swanky New York or Beverly Hills loft space. Whether or not that is actually what 'fine art' is or not I don't know, but those are the images that the words bring up in my mind when I hear the words.

A lot of photographers use the term and according to Wiki, 'fine art' photographs are created solely for aesthetic purposes, unlike photojournalism photos which are created to tell a story.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fine_art

Is there an actual definition to Fine Art, or has the term become so mainstream and muddy that it is an 'umbrella' term now, covering many different styles of photographs? Does the method of printing (i.e. canvas, b&w, mounted) define it as 'fine art'? Or is it a particular style of shooting/lighting?

What is your opinion or fact?

wildbill
01-16-2012, 11:16 AM
Here's a thread from the last time someone asked the same question: 6 pages
http://www.apug.org/forums/archive/index.php/t-31823.html

here's another: 5 pages
http://www.apug.org/forums/archive/index.php/t-63323.html

keithwms
01-16-2012, 11:16 AM
Oh lord. This has been debated so many times :blink: Always ends the same way: to each his own.

I will say this: Those photographers who describe their own work as "fine art" risk invoking all manner of visceral reactions. My advice is to avoid the term as you would the plague, ebola, amoebic dysentery, or a staph infection. You must strive to cleanse yourself of all pretense and resist any attempts by others to adhere bleak diagnoses to your work. "Fine art" is a fundamentally useless term now.... just in my opinion.

ChristopherCoy
01-16-2012, 11:23 AM
It may be the same conversation, but I posted a new thread.

All opinion's aside, are there any techinical differences between Fine Art and a 'regular' photograph?

keithwms
01-16-2012, 11:24 AM
No.

David A. Goldfarb
01-16-2012, 11:26 AM
Fine art is art that is for no other purpose than display, as opposed to applied art. The term has nothing to do with whether something is good art or bad art.

ChristopherCoy
01-16-2012, 11:27 AM
Fine art is art that is for no other purpose than display, as opposed to applied art. The term has nothing to do with whether something is good art or bad art.

That's what I was looking for. Thanks!

Aristophanes
01-16-2012, 11:27 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fine_art

ChristopherCoy
01-16-2012, 11:29 AM
Here's a thread from the last time someone asked the same question: 6 pages
http://www.apug.org/forums/archive/index.php/t-31823.html

here's another: 5 pages
http://www.apug.org/forums/archive/index.php/t-63323.html

Perhaps the topic should be a sticky thread....

Vilk
01-16-2012, 11:34 AM
... Always ends the same way: to each his own. [...] "Fine art" is a fundamentally useless term now...

I'll have to tell the Fine Art Dept at our university... Poor souls, I bet they have no idea! :cool:

Roger Cole
01-16-2012, 11:58 AM
It's like a Supreme Court justice once said of obscenity (someone will know who this was, I don't feel like looking it up,) "I can't define it, but I know it when I see it."

That's less true of "fine" art than obscenity, I think, but the definition of "art for the sole purpose of display, not applied art" makes good sense to me.

I agree to avoid the term. The real problem with using this as a descriptive term for one's own work is that "fine" implies excellent quality in most people's minds, even though it isn't meant that way in this term. There ought to be a value-neutral term meaning "art solely for display." Then again, there is - art. Various "applied art" are sub-categories, and if isn't any of those, it's just art. Maybe. ;)

batwister
01-16-2012, 12:14 PM
I'll have to tell the Fine Art Dept at our university... Poor souls, I bet they have no idea! :cool:

I'm willing to bet that half the students don't!

David A. Goldfarb
01-16-2012, 12:40 PM
Three threads, merged and stuck.

benjiboy
01-16-2012, 01:11 PM
"Fine Art Photography" to me is what other people aspire to produce, I'm still struggling with photography.

willy13664
01-21-2012, 04:52 PM
It means most of them discovered they could put their crayons in a pencil sharpener.

In the case of Photography, I'm sure if Stiglitz Flat Iron building is anything to go by, he forgot to focus first!

What do I know, I'm not a fine art student, just a photography student trying to take pictures people might like, but I don't read the right books, the emperor is naked and his balls are turning blue.