PDA

View Full Version : My Latest Wild Claim......Highest 12X20 ULF photos

Pages : 1 [2] 3

Jim Fitzgerald
09-20-2006, 09:23 PM
ROFL! Jim, you make this so much fun! 12X20 Folmer & Schwing camera of course. Lens was an ancient Wollensak f10 Process Velostigmat of 19" focal length that is a 4 - 4 protar VII type. I paid $45 for it. No filters. Film was the Efke 100 that I was crabbing about in the last thread. PyroCatHD 12 1/2 minutes in a tray. Thanks!

Jim, thank you for the info. I needed that. That old Wolly is a great lens! Again great portraits!!

Jim

Claire Senft
09-21-2006, 05:38 PM
Very, very nice. Where is the rest of the roll?

walter23
09-23-2006, 08:54 PM
"The road at
this point was so steep the only safe way
to hold the truck while jacking was to let
the front bumper impact the giant tree you
see in picture 4."

Nice.

Michael Slade
09-24-2006, 06:04 PM
Anytime I read about someone who has the 'front diff boiling', or read about somone who takes 'two spares', I have to try to hang out with that person.

Jim, you are tempting me to come back to Nevada and hit some of the spots I missed in the 2 years I lived there.

Nice shots. Having used the 12x20 briefly, the accomplishment of just unpacking the camera at 10K feet is amazing.

Now...about that 'superfluous' 12x20... :D

jimgalli
09-24-2006, 06:16 PM
Anytime I read about someone who has the 'front diff boiling', or read about somone who takes 'two spares', I have to try to hang out with that person.

Jim, you are tempting me to come back to Nevada and hit some of the spots I missed in the 2 years I lived there.

Nice shots. Having used the 12x20 briefly, the accomplishment of just unpacking the camera at 10K feet is amazing.

Now...about that 'superfluous' 12x20... :D

Aucchhh. Michael, ze extra 12X20 has fled away to places east.

MarkS
09-27-2006, 02:07 PM
Jim, marvelous work. You're an inspiration. Now if I could only view them at actual size on the monitor...

eddie gunks
10-02-2006, 11:19 AM
great stuff jim,

if you lend me the camera i will break the altitude record for a 12x20. i will even carry it myself!

eddie

Robert Hall
10-02-2006, 11:48 AM
great stuff jim,

if you lend me the camera i will break the altitude record for a 12x20. i will even carry it myself!

eddie

Careful there, Jim, I met Eddie on the edge of a cliff in the Grand Canyon. He seems to have little fear of heights and I would take him seriously about the height. :D

walter23
12-01-2006, 12:37 AM

Soeren
12-01-2006, 12:52 AM
WHAT NOT EVEN ABOVE THE TIMBER LIMIT !!!!!
Im disapointed Jim :D
Great Photos Jim
Cheers
Søren

SteveH
12-01-2006, 07:23 AM
Jim,
Awesome as usual. I am curious about how you actually developed the film - did you use tubes or trays ? I was talking with a friend of mine who shoots 8x10, and he was having issues with surge marks....Im assuming that it could possibly be even worse on such a large piece of film.

jimgalli
12-01-2006, 09:55 AM
Jim,
Awesome as usual. I am curious about how you actually developed the film - did you use tubes or trays ? I was talking with a friend of mine who shoots 8x10, and he was having issues with surge marks....Im assuming that it could possibly be even worse on such a large piece of film.

Hi Steve. 1 at a time in an 18X22 tray. I couldn't get the tubes to work one these. Surge marks no matter what I did including shaking the entire CPP from side to side regularly while it was turning.

sanking
12-01-2006, 03:06 PM
Hi Steve. 1 at a time in an 18X22 tray. I couldn't get the tubes to work one these. Surge marks no matter what I did including shaking the entire CPP from side to side regularly while it was turning.

Jim,

I am curious why you had such problems with tubes. I develop all of my 12X20 fim in rotary processing, using Beseler 16X20 drums on Beseler and Unicolor motor bases. I pour the developer in the drum, turn on the motor and allow for about fifteen seconds of turning, then I lift it off the base and rotate from side to side for fifteen seconds or so. After this first cycle I lift and roate from side to side for ten seconds every minute for the first half of development time, then every two minutes for the second half. I find that the initital up and down agitation on the horizointal should be done very early in development. With the Beseler and Unicolor motor bases RPM is fairly slow, for sure a lot slower than Jobo.

Sandy King

jimgalli
12-01-2006, 03:32 PM
Jim,

I am curious why you had such problems with tubes. I develop all of my 12X20 fim in rotary processing, using Beseler 16X20 drums on Beseler and Unicolor motor bases. I pour the developer in the drum, turn on the motor and allow for about fifteen seconds of turning, then I lift it off the base and rotate from side to side for fifteen seconds or so. After this first cycle I lift and roate from side to side for ten seconds every minute for the first half of development time, then every two minutes for the second half. I find that the initital up and down agitation on the horizointal should be done very early in development. With the Beseler and Unicolor motor bases RPM is fairly slow, for sure a lot slower than Jobo.

Sandy King

Sandy, Wish it wasn't so. Indeed, I bought the tank from you. Perhaps I'll try it again but do the first 5 minutes off the Jobo tipping end to end while I rotate.

sanking
12-01-2006, 03:42 PM
Sandy, Wish it wasn't so. Indeed, I bought the tank from you. Perhaps I'll try it again but do the first 5 minutes off the Jobo tipping end to end while I rotate.

Gee, the memory is completely gone. What kind of tank did I sell you? Is it a Beseler 16X20" print drum? If so, just curious to know if it has the dividers?

Another thing you might try is a weaker dilution. Say, instead of 2:2:100 try 1:1:100. And did you do a pre-soak with the rotary tests?

Sandy

jimgalli
12-01-2006, 04:10 PM
Gee, the memory is completely gone. What kind of tank did I sell you? Is it a Beseler 16X20" print drum? If so, just curious to know if it has the dividers?

Another thing you might try is a weaker dilution. Say, instead of 2:2:100 try 1:1:100. And did you do a pre-soak with the rotary tests?

Sandy

It's the Jobo 3063 and you can put 2 1220's in it using the ribs to hold them in place. I get tire tracks in 2 places where the ribs are not constant.

I just pre-soak enough to get the goo off the back of the film. About 90 seconds. No dividers in the JOBO if it ever had any. Thanks for trying to help.

sanking
12-01-2006, 06:12 PM
It's the Jobo 3063 and you can put 2 1220's in it using the ribs to hold them in place. I get tire tracks in 2 places where the ribs are not constant.

I just pre-soak enough to get the goo off the back of the film. About 90 seconds. No dividers in the JOBO if it ever had any. Thanks for trying to help.

Ahhh. Now I remember. I am pretty sure I never actually tried to develop two sheets of 12X20 fim in that drum. I originally bought it for 20X24" film and have always used the Beserl 16X20 drums for 12X20.

Can you insert two 12X20 sheets in the drum without any dividers? If the dividers are creating a surge track you can be sure that will show up on the film.

Best,

Sandy

Zebra
12-01-2006, 06:44 PM
Hi Jim

there are many more experienced than I but I use the 3063 drum for my 20 x 24 negs. I was having density line problems as well but they were solved when Clay suggested the slowest Jobo speed coupled with taking the drum OFF completely from the rotation and shaking it vigorisously for 10 seconds or so for every minute and half/ two mintues of development and then back onto the slowest rotation of the drum. The problem disappeared immediately for me.

Monty

sanking
12-01-2006, 09:24 PM
Hi Jim

there are many more experienced than I but I use the 3063 drum for my 20 x 24 negs. I was having density line problems as well but they were solved when Clay suggested the slowest Jobo speed coupled with taking the drum OFF completely from the rotation and shaking it vigorisously for 10 seconds or so for every minute and half/ two mintues of development and then back onto the slowest rotation of the drum. The problem disappeared immediately for me.

Monty

What Monty writes is very consistent with my experience. I have found it very important to do the first shake on the horitzonatl axis very soon in the development period, for sure no more than 20-30 seconds after you begin the cycle. Any surge marks that begin in the first 30-45 seconds of development will get worse with time.

Sandy King

jimgalli
12-01-2006, 09:42 PM
Thanks both. I can put 2 12X20's in the 3063 drum with no dividers. The ribs hold them in place nicely. The problem is that the ribs aren't continuous. There are 2 3/4" or so breaks where the developer can flow without the same break that the ribs provide. On my final attempt (until now) I moved the entire CPP from side to side fairly vigorously for 15 seconds out of every 60. Beginning right from the start. It didn't work. What Sandy says about the beginning being much more important than later on in the dev rings true with everything I've ever heard. Blue sky is the killer of course. I'll try it again with a couple of sacrificial sheets and do the first 5 minutes completely off the Jobo. I always run the Jobo at the slowest possible rate just past the "on" detent.