PDA

View Full Version : Houston Area Alt-process (and stuff) Gathering October 28

Pages : [1] 2

clay
09-20-2006, 09:16 PM
I sort of hijacked that other thread, so I thought I ought to start a new one, and apologize.

So here is the deal:

We have done these twice before. The format is basically spending an afternoon looking at everyone's work. In the interest of brevity, we generally try to limit the number of prints to half a dozen, but with the understanding that anyone at any time can bring out a gazillion prints to share with someone one-on-one away from the main group. In the past, the processes represented have been monochrome, gum, tri-color gum, gum over platinum, bromoil, Rawlins oil, photogravure, and some others I have probably forgotten.

I will post more specifics later, but in general, it goes from noon until 5 or six, and involves food and drink.

I'm still deciding what process we can demo.

Thanks!

Clay

PS Please let me know if you are thinking of attending.

Jeremy
09-20-2006, 09:25 PM
I'd love to see some carbon printing demoed :)

I already sent you an email, Clay, but I'm planning on attending if I can get someone to cover my lab duties that Saturday.

photomc
09-21-2006, 06:47 AM
No apology needed Clay, that was what the thread was for..to see if any like minded folks wanted to get together to cuss/discuss/shoot/etc.

Since I haven't the time at present to pull something together this is very welcome. Sounds like a bit like a Platapus Party a la Bostick&Sullivan, but Texas style. If work schedule allows, hope to be there.

Rocky Boudreaux
09-21-2006, 10:17 PM
Glad to see the post and continuation of Houston meetings.
Wish I could be there perhaps next time.
Getting settled in Monroe, LA and will contact you directly later.

So how about the Monroe, LA area, any others in this area that would like to have a meeting?

Rocky

scootermm
09-21-2006, 10:23 PM
Ill be there Clay.

Valerie
09-22-2006, 10:53 AM
Any objections if I show up without any prints, as I don't do alt. process? I'll just lurk in the back and be very quiet!

Valerie

clay
09-22-2006, 10:56 AM
Come on! These things are always fun because you get to see some work and processes that are really interesting. I'll post more specifics later this weekend.

Any objections if I show up without any prints, as I don't do alt. process? I'll just lurk in the back and be very quiet!

Valerie

Jeremy
09-22-2006, 11:54 AM
maybe Tri-Color gum demo? :)

i should have my first 2 critiques from studio class this semester to share.

photomc
09-22-2006, 06:31 PM

Valerie

Besides that, some consider Silver printing alternative....sure would be a let down to not see some of your work since I missed it during the workshop in May.

Now if we can get lee and David to come you get the TCP too!!;)

clay
09-22-2006, 07:45 PM
It is shaping up to be a nice gathering. I think it looks like maybe a dozen or so people are going to try to make it. Heck, we will even have a surprise 'celebrity guest' alt-process printer from Montana!

Besides that, some consider Silver printing alternative....sure would be a let down to not see some of your work since I missed it during the workshop in May.

scootermm
09-22-2006, 08:02 PM
clay. thanks so much, in advance, for organizing this... really looking forward to it.

Jeremy
09-22-2006, 09:39 PM
is Christina Anderson coming down?

It is shaping up to be a nice gathering. I think it looks like maybe a dozen or so people are going to try to make it. Heck, we will even have a surprise 'celebrity guest' alt-process printer from Montana!

clay
09-22-2006, 11:19 PM
is Christina Anderson coming down?

That is the rumor, yes.

David Brown
10-20-2006, 10:06 AM
... some consider Silver printing alternative....sure would be a let down to not see some of your work since I missed it during the workshop in May.

Well, yes! Clay has given me dispensation to come with silver gelatin, so I've been spending hours in the darkroom this week. And Lee is coming. The TCP decends on Houston! ;)

clay
10-20-2006, 06:10 PM
This is actually turning out to be a fairly well-attended meeting. It looks like we will have a half dozen or so profs and students from Stephen F. Austin (and their visiting lecturer, Christina Z Anderson), another 3 or 4 from the DFW area, and a few Austinites, not to mention the locals. Now if Valerie can only convince Keith Carter to drive the 90 minutes from Beaumont, I can start selling tickets!

It ought to be fun. I am thinking about starting the whole thing a little earlier so people will have plenty of time to show their work.

I will supply the food and modest drink requirements. If you plan on drinking a six-pack by yourself, go ahead and bring that and a driver. No one is allergic to sweetbreads and anchovy quiche, I hope?;)

Well, yes! Clay has given me dispensation to come with silver gelatin, so I've been spending hours in the darkroom this week. And Lee is coming. The TCP decends on Houston! ;)

David Brown
10-22-2006, 09:38 AM
I am thinking about starting the whole thing a little earlier so people will have plenty of time to show their work.

Clay:

Some of us are going to be on the road and off APUG by the middle of the week. Can you let us know a time change by Wednesday? :)

photomc
10-22-2006, 06:37 PM
Now if Valerie can only convince Keith Carter to drive the 90 minutes from Beaumont, I can start selling tickets!

:D :D I'd even pay then...even if it does mean getting that close to Houston :D

Sounds like it is going to be fun Clay, and Thank You again for putting this together.

sacsai
10-22-2006, 07:42 PM
Anyone know of such a class in the raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill area of North Carolina?
Thanks,
Cheebug[/B]

clay
10-22-2006, 08:38 PM
Let's still plan on getting started at noon. For those interested in cheap-skatism, I can do a demo of making homemade potassium oxalate developer in the driveway prior to the start of the meeting. Say 11:00 or so.

Jeremy
10-22-2006, 10:08 PM
Let's still plan on getting started at noon. For those interested in cheap-skatism, I can do a demo of making homemade potassium oxalate developer in the driveway prior to the start of the meeting. Say 11:00 or so.

Sounds like fun!