PDA

View Full Version : Any Western NY State APUGGERs?

Pages : [1] 2

Bromo33333
09-25-2006, 07:52 PM
Just curious. Given this is the land of Kodak! :)

jgjbowen
09-25-2006, 08:55 PM
I'm a former Western New Yorker. Grew up in Olean, but relocated to Richmond, VA 20 years ago. I still get to Western NY to visit family every summer. Beautiful country along the Southern Tier......I miss it.

John

StephenS
09-25-2006, 09:10 PM
You gonna peek in my windows or something? Or you looking to share a garbage plate at Tahoes?

copake_ham
09-25-2006, 09:34 PM
I'm eastern NY (and also downstate) but look for Earl (a.k.a. Trius) a dis-planted Canuck who's up in your neck of the woods. Has a fixation on aged cheddar and ON wines - but otherwise seems harmless.

Also check out the "upper middle class shooter thread" that started today. Around page 2 a fellow from the Finger Lakes (digital waters? ;) ) added a couple of cents to that thought.

You are not alone....and only you can decide if that is a good thing!

RichSBV
09-26-2006, 12:39 AM
Just curious. Given this is the land of Kodak! :)

More like "the shadow of kodak"...

If you're from around here, then you know what "South of 5&20" means :p

Poco
09-26-2006, 06:00 AM
I'm a little further west -- Buffalo.

Mark H
09-26-2006, 08:12 AM
Utica area...
Iwas out to visit a friend there in Rochester recently who is connected to Anderson Alley. Seems like a great area for artists.

Photo Engineer
09-26-2006, 10:05 AM
You must not pay attention to location information in posts. LoL.

I see quite a few of us here all the time, although none of us seem to get together.

PE

rjs003
09-26-2006, 09:03 PM
How about Waterloo, New York been here most of my life except for a stint in the Navy and a five year assignment in Plattsburgh, New York. Now making a living in the wine business here in the Finger Lakes.

Earl Dunbar
09-26-2006, 09:57 PM
I'm eastern NY (and also downstate) but look for Earl (a.k.a. Trius) a dis-planted Canuck who's up in your neck of the woods. Has a fixation on aged cheddar and ON wines - but otherwise seems harmless.

Also check out the "upper middle class shooter thread" that started today. Around page 2 a fellow from the Finger Lakes (digital waters? ;) ) added a couple of cents to that thought.

You are not alone....and only you can decide if that is a good thing!
Yup, I'm here, in Rochester, not far from the Yellow Father on State St.

George is jealous of my cheeses.

Earl Dunbar
09-26-2006, 09:59 PM
I guess we should do an APUG meet around here sometime. Someone want to volunteer a winery location ... wink-wink, nudge-nudge, know what I mean?

Bromo33333
09-28-2006, 03:40 PM
Do you guys think we should have a "field day" at some mutually agreeable location?

rjs003
09-28-2006, 07:50 PM
Earl,
If you are looking for a winery location for a meet I can be found at Knapp Winery five days a week. Located in Romulus, New York. The month of Oct isn't a good time for me, as we are up to our arm pits in the harvest of the grapes. ( Pun intended) If we could get a weekend with good weather I would be very interested in a get together.

RichSBV
09-29-2006, 03:35 PM
A "weekend with good weather"? In this area???

copake_ham
09-29-2006, 03:52 PM
A "weekend with good weather"? In this area???

Hasn't been much better on the eastern side of the State either this year. Why do the only nice days happen in the middle of the week!

mmmichel
09-29-2006, 05:56 PM
I'm another one from the land of the shrinking yellow father and I'd be up for a getogether. I'm surprised we haven't heard from Frank P. yet.

Earl Dunbar
09-30-2006, 06:43 PM
Just checked in on this... I was a Knapp today(!), for tasting and lunch with a group of over 30. It was very pleasant ... I bought the '04 cab franc. I a bit of a cab franc freak.

The '05 pinot is VERY promising ... after my barrel tasting at Hillebrand in a couple of weeks I'll see how deep a hole I've put in my credit card... maybe then I'll put away some of the pinot.

rjs003
09-30-2006, 08:29 PM
Earl,
If you are a fan of Merlot, we just bottled a very fine 04 that is the best I have tasted. We also have a Merlot crop on the vine, which isn't something that happens every year. This crop looks to be a very special vintage that will be ready in about two years.
By the way, while you were enjoying lunch I was working on my new darkroom. It goes sloooowly!

copake_ham
09-30-2006, 09:00 PM
Just checked in on this... I was a Knapp today(!), for tasting and lunch with a group of over 30. It was very pleasant ... I bought the '04 cab franc. I a bit of a cab franc freak.

The '05 pinot is VERY promising ... after my barrel tasting at Hillebrand in a couple of weeks I'll see how deep a hole I've put in my credit card... maybe then I'll put away some of the pinot.

Earl,
If you are a fan of Merlot, we just bottled a very fine 04 that is the best I have tasted. We also have a Merlot crop on the vine, which isn't something that happens every year. This crop looks to be a very special vintage that will be ready in about two years.
By the way, while you were enjoying lunch I was working on my new darkroom. It goes sloooowly!

I haven't been into Finger Lake wines for a very long time and was unaware that you are now having success with Merlot and Cab Franc. I do remember the preachings of Dr. Konstantin Frank (?) back when I was a college student at SUNY/Buffalo.

Are these true French varietals or hybrids you're working with? Ditto regarding the Pinot?

Perhaps it's time for a trip out that way...

Bromo33333
09-30-2006, 10:48 PM
I haven't been into Finger Lake wines for a very long time and was unaware that you are now having success with Merlot and Cab Franc. I do remember the preachings of Dr. Konstantin Frank (?) back when I was a college student at SUNY/Buffalo.

Are these true French varietals or hybrids you're working with? Ditto regarding the Pinot?

Perhaps it's time for a trip out that way...

They are having a great deal of success with French Varietals. You will find the Cab S they do will be somewhat lgihter, the Pinot isn't bad at all, and the other reds will be on the lighter side - but all good.

And of course, Reisling, Gewurtz, and the other whites are excellent.

I never went for Cab Franc - has a very sharp taste to me that I haven't become accustomed to.

But it is worth a trip, though the quality is improving, it is still somewhat uneven.