PDA

View Full Version : Art on the Avenue, Alexandria, May 7th

DBP
09-27-2006, 04:28 PM
Are any of you showing?

TheFlyingCamera
09-27-2006, 09:56 PM
I hope not... pregnancy in itself would be a major surprise to me!
I never got the call for entries for this so I didn't know about it. I assume you mean October 7, not May 7?

DBP
09-27-2006, 10:33 PM
It's an annual street festival, pretty colorful.

DBP
09-27-2006, 10:35 PM
Yes, I do mean October, but can't seem to edit.

c6h6o3
09-28-2006, 08:27 AM
Are any of you showing?

My pendulous, middle aged beer gut is showing; does that count?

As to the festival, there will be lot of photography (http://www.artontheavenue.org/exhibitors/2006_craft.htm#photography) there. From a quick glance at some of the websites, I'm not sure that there will be much to justify burning the gasoline it will take to get there.

I do like to go to these things occasionally to try to get a feel for how likely it would be that I would actually sell something at one of them. Maybe I'll hop on the metro and take a look.

Are you going down there?

naturephoto1
09-28-2006, 09:06 AM
Hi Bruce,

I won't be in Alexandria, but if you are interested, I will be at the Sugarloaf Crafts Festival in Gaithersburg, MD (Montgomery County Fairgrounds) October 13-15 and also November 16-19. For the October show, I have a booth and a half indoor booth and for the November show I have a booth and a half corner space in one of the Barns. My booth location in October is 139 (November booth assignments have not been made). I would welcome you or anyone else to drop by.

Rich

TheFlyingCamera
09-28-2006, 11:39 AM
My pendulous, middle aged beer gut is showing; does that count?

As to the festival, there will be lot of photography (http://www.artontheavenue.org/exhibitors/2006_craft.htm#photography) there. From a quick glance at some of the websites, I'm not sure that there will be much to justify burning the gasoline it will take to get there.

I do like to go to these things occasionally to try to get a feel for how likely it would be that I would actually sell something at one of them. Maybe I'll hop on the metro and take a look.

Are you going down there?

I dunno- some of the photogs there don't seem TOO horridly cliched. Maybe even interesting one or two. I feel lucky these days if you get more than one who has something you'd even consider buying. Especially with the current trend to oversaturated oversharpened over-photoshopped work.

DBP
09-28-2006, 04:47 PM
I hadn't looked at the list before. I can say that I really like Paige Ireland's work. The festival itself is a good opportunity for street photography. I'll put up an example from a couple of years back. I will be there, as it is walking distance from home for me. Let me know if you will be around and we can try to meet up.

c6h6o3
09-28-2006, 09:35 PM
Hi Bruce,

I won't be in Alexandria, but if you are interested, I will be at the Sugarloaf Crafts Festival in Gaithersburg, MD (Montgomery County Fairgrounds) October 13-15 and also November 16-19. For the October show, I have a booth and a half indoor booth and for the November show I have a booth and a half corner space in one of the Barns. My booth location in October is 139 (November booth assignments have not been made). I would welcome you or anyone else to drop by.

Rich

I thought the Sugarloaf Festival was at Sugarloaf. What's with the Fairgrounds? (The Fairgrounds is only about 10 minutes drive from my house, but the traffic and parking situation there is awful.) I'd much rather drive up to Sugarloaf Mountain. I'll definitely come and see you in October.

naturephoto1
09-28-2006, 09:55 PM
I thought the Sugarloaf Festival was at Sugarloaf. What's with the Fairgrounds? (The Fairgrounds is only about 10 minutes drive from my house, but the traffic and parking situation there is awful.) I'd much rather drive up to Sugarloaf Mountain. I'll definitely come and see you in October.

These are craft festivals put on by Sugarloaf Mountain Works (headquartered in Gaithersburg). They have been having craft shows for about 27 years at the fair grounds. The name may come from the mountain however. As to traffic and parking it is bad. They can draw about 27,000 paid attendees perhaps more to these shows.

If you want to get an idea of what I will be showing you can check my photos in my Gallery. I have a large show in RI before this. So I am not sure if I will have as much for display. As things stand there will be about 25 + images of color Nature, Landscape, and Wildlife images printed from a big Chromira printer. Images will be printed as large as 30" x 37 1/2" (in Cyro AR OP3 high end acrylic) and one piece (24" x 30") in museum glass. All images will have been taken with Leica R series cameras and Linhof 4 X 5 cameras.

Look forward to meeting you.

DBP
09-29-2006, 05:44 PM
Do y'all think I can get one of the moderators to fix the date?