PDA

View Full Version : MF Folding Camera Month

Pages : [1] 2

Alex Hawley
10-04-2006, 04:16 PM
This is another semi-loony idea hatched in the Chat Room today. How about having a Medium Format Folding Camera Month?

The basic idea would be to shoot photos with a medium format folding camera during a one-month period, then post the best one you get in the APUG Gallery. No restrictions on film choice, B&W or color, either one.

By far, most of these cameras are of vintage age and there is a wide variety of them. Exposure and focusing is all done manually, often "guessing" on the focusing distance with uncoupled rangefinders. But they can still produce quite good results. I noted that one of the Ilford Postcard winners was shot with an Agfa Isollette.

If anyone is interested, please answer the poll questions. Should we run the month from October 15 to November 15 or November 1-30?

I think the Baby Graphics (2-1/4x 3-1/4) should be allowed. They are MF (6x9) folding cameras, are of the same vintage, and can be easily hand-held. They have the advantages of ground-glass focusing and sheet film, but so what? But I can see that some people might have a problem with that, so I have included it in the poll questions. I dont have one myself right now, but I have used them in the past.

Let's see where this goes.

Stephanie Brim
10-04-2006, 04:21 PM
Yes, Nov. 1-30, and yes to Baby Graphics. Heh. I'll be using my Agfa 6x9, though.

Alex Hawley
10-04-2006, 04:23 PM
Thanks Stephanie. I must give credit where it is due: Stephanie was the other partner in crime hatching this idea.

Stephanie Brim
10-04-2006, 04:26 PM
I do so like to hatch crazy schemes, don't you know. :D

Will S
10-04-2006, 04:38 PM
And I shot one of my postcard entries with a Fuji Gs645 folder, but I don't think that is what you have in mind.... Or would it be accepted? (I can always switch to my Ansco Titan.)

Thanks,

Will

Stephanie Brim
10-04-2006, 04:39 PM
I think we're thinking antique or older folding cameras. ;)

pandino
10-04-2006, 05:02 PM
I'm in! I don't use my folders nearly enough.

Does a non-modified Polaroid 110A count? It's vintage (i.e. older than me) and it folds.:D

I don't have a real convenient way of scanning. Are scans limited to prints, or is a neg scan okay?

Alex Hawley
10-04-2006, 05:04 PM
And I shot one of my postcard entries with a Fuji Gs645 folder, but I don't think that is what you have in mind.... Or would it be accepted? (I can always switch to my Ansco Titan.)

Thanks,

Will

I didn't think about the more modern ones Will. How about we restrict it to vintage folders?

Alex Hawley
10-04-2006, 05:06 PM
I'm in! I don't use my folders nearly enough.

Does a non-modified Polaroid 110A count? It's vintage (i.e. older than me) and it folds.:D

I don't have a real convenient way of scanning. Are scans limited to prints, or is a neg scan okay?

I would think any of the Polaroid folders qualifies Chris. No restricitons on scanning. Whatever works for you.

David A. Goldfarb
10-04-2006, 05:06 PM
Sure, I've always got my Perkeo II--"The Pocketblad"--in my briefcase. Every month is MF folder month for me!

simulatordan
10-04-2006, 06:00 PM
Hello Alex and Stephanie,

I've got a 1950s Ensign Selfix 820 that I use in 6x9 format not nearly as much as I would like. Great idea count me in. Have you thought about whether the posts should be 'contact prints' or enlargements or both?

Regards Daniel

Stephanie Brim
10-04-2006, 06:13 PM
I'll most likely be doing a negative scan...I could do a contact print, but I'd have to get the supplies to do it in a short amount of time and that won't be easy.

Alex Hawley
10-04-2006, 06:21 PM

I've got a 1950s Ensign Selfix 820 that I use in 6x9 format not nearly as much as I would like. Great idea count me in. Have you thought about whether the posts should be 'contact prints' or enlargements or both?

Regards Daniel

Doesn't make any difference to me how you make your prints Daniel. After all, Polaroids are actually contact prints.

simulatordan
10-04-2006, 06:32 PM

Thank you both for your quick response, happy with that. Ready when you are.

Regards Daniel

Rolleiflexible
10-04-2006, 08:12 PM
I've got my 6x6 Super Baldax fired up and ready to go. Melanie's reluctant but I'll coax her somehow into putting up some more of her work from her Agfa -- it will cost me bigtime, but for you all, I'll do it.

DBP
10-04-2006, 08:14 PM
I'd have to vote against the Baby Graphics, even though I like carrying mine around. The problem is, from there it's a tiny step to 6x9 Linhofs, Horsemen, Plaubel Makinas, etc. which seem like overkill.

Alex Hawley
10-04-2006, 08:34 PM
I've got my 6x6 Super Baldax fired up and ready to go. Melanie's reluctant but I'll coax her somehow into putting up some more of her work from her Agfa -- it will cost me bigtime, but for you all, I'll do it.

Hey Sanders, is that really a 6x6 Super Badass? Sorry, couldn't resist.

Hope Melanie joins in. I appreciate your sacrifice :rolleyes:.

Nancy
10-04-2006, 09:26 PM
Sounds like a good idea. I don't use mine nearly enough.

Jeremy
10-04-2006, 10:04 PM
Time to get back the Iskra I lent out!!!

jnanian
10-04-2006, 10:32 PM
the mamiya is slowly turning into a paper negative camera,
but i just fixed the "foth" so i should be okay ...

great idea!
-john