PDA

View Full Version : Popular Photography : Inside Straight - Film Forever!

freestyle
10-10-2006, 04:25 PM
Please see the following article published in the November issue of Popular Photography written by Mr. Herbert Keppler, titled "Film Forever!". The article describes in great detail the wide range of photographic products that Freestyle supplies to the vast traditional film and darkroom photographic community, which is very much alive and thriving.

http://www.popphoto.com/
http://www.freestylephoto.biz/

David A. Goldfarb
10-10-2006, 04:39 PM
Does the man never age? Keppler looks just like he did when I read his column in _Modern Photography_ some 25 years ago.

dmr
10-10-2006, 04:40 PM
I've enjoyed Mr. Keppler's articles ever since I was in my teens. I'll be sure to pick up the November issue. I do still read it fairly regularly. :) Thanks for the note.

eddym
10-10-2006, 04:50 PM
Does the man never age? Keppler looks just like he did when I read his column in _Modern Photography_ some 25 years ago.
Maybe he's been retouched in photoshop... ;)

copake_ham
10-10-2006, 05:02 PM
Unfortunately, Keppler seems to be the only regular contributor to PopPhoto that believes in film.

I am winding down a 3-year subscription I foolishly bought from that digi-rag.

I had the "distinction" of being one of a group of subscribers who were "polled" about six months ago. All the questions were related to whether or not they needed to increase their digi-coverage even more!

Keppler's like the proverbial "nice girl"; what's he doing hanging out in a rag like PopPhoto? :mad:

Curt
10-10-2006, 05:37 PM
I like it when the retailers tell a little about their products. Too often we only hear from the end user who may have a different point of view depending on how they used the product. I like the article for the shot in the arm and I applaud Freestyle for the information and support.

Curt

David Brown
10-10-2006, 06:38 PM
It's also interesting that Keppler has changed the name of his column from "SLR" to "Inside Straight" so that he can write about more things than slr's. I mean, what's left to write about? More pixels? Yawn ...

I, too am running on the fumes of a 3 yr subscription that won't be renewed. I got the November issue today, and I'll look through it and read Keppler's article and whatever else is of interest, and then it goes to the recycle pile. :)

But, in all fairness: if PopPhoto was still writing the same type of articles it has always written about film photography, we'd all be complaining that we "had read all this before." Well, we would. :rolleyes:

Dug
10-10-2006, 06:45 PM
November's Popular Photography was suprisingly readable (contrary to the previous 20 or so month's editions). There was the freestyle article as well as an article about the psychological aspects of photography and photographers that was quite interesting.

Of course there was the usual stuff that you see every month - like the 12-color printer for $1900US which requires $900US for a new set of ink cartridges (?!?!). I guess I just don't "get it".

arigram
10-10-2006, 07:40 PM
Just out of curiosity... I didn't see any Freestyle ads in Emulsion, why is that?

Eric Rose
10-10-2006, 09:33 PM
smacks of an advatorial to me. I know in some sports mag a product can be "editors pic" by paying for it. If not, all the best to a lone voice in the digi wilderness.

Uncle Bill
10-12-2006, 10:34 AM
I read that article and it was a well written feature on Freestyle, nothing wrong with that I will be writting pieces like this in my PR career. However in the concept of objectivity, I would have also highlight JandC photo and other specialty houses.

I get all my information on photography off APUG, RFF, and Flickr these days because that is where the like minded people are.

Bill

Black Dog
10-17-2006, 03:05 AM
So will I-though UK B&W, Ag and of course Emulsion are all VG:)

Dave Wooten
10-17-2006, 06:42 AM
I read that article and it was a well written feature on Freestyle, nothing wrong with that I will be writting pieces like this in my PR career. However in the concept of objectivity, I would have also highlight JandC photo and other specialty houses.

I get all my information on photography off APUG, RFF, and Flickr these days because that is where the like minded people are.

Bill
Agree here and also with Ari and Eric,

A more journalistic article would have definately included J and C, Ilfords renewed and continued dedication, the special offerings of Kodak and Ilford to the ULF community-more choices out there than ever at the present-the introduction of magazines like Focus and Emulsion, with major emphasis on current trends in fine art photography and Gallery exhibitions at an all time high...with an emphasis on film photography, also the major revival in alternative processes! Of course this will not happen in an "ADvert" article.

It would not have hurt and it would not have been out of line at all to put a line in about APUG, WORLD"S LARGEST MOST ACTIVE AND SHARING FORUM DEDICATED TO FILM PHOTOGRAPHY, on which the subject company of the article does advertise and is strongly supported.

Save your pennies, nickles and dimes.......

In the comfort and privacy of your own home, You can just click on the attachment provided (thank you very much FS) with the 1st post on this thread to read the article....no need to purchase this mag. In my not so humble opinion, unfortunately for dedicated film photographers, this magazine for quite some time has not been and is not now worth the rack price nor the subscription price. :)

Black Dog
10-17-2006, 10:17 AM
I discovered APUG through a mention in UK B&W-thanks for that:)