PDA

View Full Version : plate thickness

meltronic
10-14-2006, 06:32 AM
Can someone who has held a glass plate (not I) tell me the average thickness of glass and if possible the usable range of thickness for 9x12cm plate holders?

Matt

Justin Cormack
10-14-2006, 07:46 AM
Around 1.5mm the one I have lying around.

If you are making your own it seems that its hard to buy glass thinner than 2mm (picture glass) - when my new ground glass arrives I am going to try to align it for this.

The range depends on the holder design I guess - 1-2mm should be ok in general, but ground glass alignment might be an issue.

Roger Hicks
10-14-2006, 09:06 AM
Dear Matt,

1.6-1.8mm including gelatine on half a dozen I just measured.

Register should not be a problem as most plate-holders push the plates forwards against the front of the holder, i.e. any variation is behind the plane of focus.

My Gandolfi plate holders will take anything reasonable, probably up to 2.5mm, maybe even 3mm, while my Linhof film/plate holders (all sizes) look to be good for just over 2mm.

Cheers,

Roger (www.rogerandfrances.com)

Jim Jones
10-14-2006, 11:27 AM
The ASA diminsions from 1944 were from 1.2mm to 1.5mm thickness.

meltronic
10-14-2006, 11:34 AM
Thank you, fellows. That helps enormously. I'm considering coating Fujifilm liquid emulsion onto glass. Anyone ever tried it?

Ole
10-14-2006, 03:46 PM
My Gandolfi plate holders will take anything reasonable, probably up to 2.5mm, maybe even 3mm, while my Linhof film/plate holders (all sizes) look to be good for just over 2mm.

The Linhof Universal Film&Plate holders, 9x12cm, won't take "modern" Slavich glass plates. They're just a little too thick.

The same plates fit easily in most, but not all, my old 9x12cm metal plate holders for 9x12cm cameras (Voigtländer holders are fine, some others are not).

Ray Heath
10-14-2006, 06:17 PM
Thank you, fellows. That helps enormously. I'm considering coating Fujifilm liquid emulsion onto glass. Anyone ever tried it?

g'day mel, i tried a couple as well as acetate and tracing paper, all kinds of issues to overcome,

haven't had time to get back to it, but i'm thinking the results need not be 'perfect' the process/materials should add a new/different dimension to the imaging, else why bother