PDA

View Full Version : November is Medium Format Folding Camera Month!!

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4

Ole
10-19-2006, 11:48 AM
The Zeiss Ikon is ready.

So is the Daiichi Zenobia, the Voigtländer Perkeo, and the Balda Belfoca. And just maybe my travelling Bessa-I will come home in November?

Ole
10-19-2006, 11:51 AM
Only one photo per participant please.
Any vintage medium format folding camera is allowed. We are including the Baby Graphics (2-1/2x3-1/4) and the vintage Plaubel Makinas.

Two questions:

1: is a "participant" a person or a camera?

2: Should rollfilm backs be used on those cameras originally made for sheet film? I have a cute little Voigtländer Bergheil 6.5x9cm too - and a rollfilm back for it.

Steve Smith
10-19-2006, 12:50 PM
The Zeiss Ikon is ready.

So is mine!

Steve.

doitashimashite
10-19-2006, 12:54 PM
Yoooo-hooo! Count me in! I'll be there, with my Agfa Isolette.

Alex Hawley
10-19-2006, 03:16 PM
Two questions:

1: is a "participant" a person or a camera?[?QUOTE]
The idea was one shot per person that applies to the MF Folder Month, the best one you get from how many or how few cameras you may have. However, there sure ain't nothing that says you can't post any other shot on APUG that you desire.

[QUOTE=Ole;379695]2: Should rollfilm backs be used on those cameras originally made for sheet film? I have a cute little Voigtländer Bergheil 6.5x9cm too - and a rollfilm back for it.

No restriction on that either. That was one reason why I posed the question about the Baby Graphics because they used a 6x9 sheet film, and also had the 120 roll film backs. Some of the old Kodak folders also had glass plate adapters. Wonder if anyone will have one of those?

Ole, can we make this thread a sticky?

wilsonneal
10-19-2006, 03:33 PM
I acquired an Isolette from the 'bay just for this purpose. Should be here shortly and hopefully in some working order. I pulled out my old Agfa and the bellows had deteriorated to dust, so 'had' to go shopping.
Neal

Ole
10-19-2006, 03:54 PM
The thread has been successfully Stuck.

That's what it says when a thread is "stickified" - I kid you not!

Hmmm... Now you got me wondering if I have any 6.5x9cm glass plates. ;)

NO! I'll use roll film. Drop that plate thought, and forget about the sheet film too. I'll be a good boy and use real roll film in a camera made for roll film.

I think.

So far, at least.

Alex Hawley
10-19-2006, 03:59 PM
Thanks for stickyfying Ole.

Drop that plate thought, ---

And please don't drop a glass plate!! :o

Dug
10-20-2006, 03:02 PM
Hi Doug:

I've tried a couple of tricks with the film size challenge. Do you have any problem with light leaks at the edge, when you use the 120 on the 616 take up Spool?

I think I'll be able to get 5 exposures, but the "window" on mine coincides with the 6x4.5 numbers on the roll, so I have to read in 2 1/2 exposure increments (2, 4.5, 7, 9.5, 12, 14.5).

Panoramic indeed, although it's hard to get that sense from those tiny viewfinders!

Matt

Matt - I unload the finished spool of 120 film on the 616 spool in the darkroom or changing bag and transfer it to something light-tight if I won't be developing on the spot. The 616 takeup spool is wider than 120, so the finished roll cannot be exposed to light. The issue I am concerned with is that the spacers (nickels -US five cent pieces) do not shim the 120 roll tight enough to create tension and may affect film flatness. This is not a show-stopper though. The big black chunk in the middle of the lens elements that I discovered last night is a bigger problem....

MattKing
10-20-2006, 03:25 PM
Matt - I unload the finished spool of 120 film on the 616 spool in the darkroom or changing bag and transfer it to something light-tight if I won't be developing on the spot. The 616 takeup spool is wider than 120, so the finished roll cannot be exposed to light. The issue I am concerned with is that the spacers (nickels -US five cent pieces) do not shim the 120 roll tight enough to create tension and may affect film flatness. This is not a show-stopper though. The big black chunk in the middle of the lens elements that I discovered last night is a bigger problem....

Doug:

Thanks - I've found that the 120 film cannisters that J & C sell are big enough to hold the 616 spool, so if you are looking for something that doesn't require taking the film off the spool in the field, you may want to try them (in the changing bag, of course).

My 616 camera has a spring loaded pressure plate, so film flatness isn't as vulnerable. One thing you might try though to provide tension is small 7/8" fabric pads that are designed to be put on to the legs of chairs, to protect floors. They are just squishy enough to provide some tension. Just be careful to check for shedding.;)

Good luck with the black chunk.

Matt

noblebeast
10-21-2006, 12:14 AM
Sounds like great fun, and my Zeiss Ikonta B has been sadly neglected lately, crying "Feed me Seymour, feed me!" Time to load her up again.

Joe

P C Headland
10-21-2006, 04:59 PM
I'll be in.

Now, just have to decide what to use: Agifold, Iskra I, Iskra II, Certo Six, Moskva 5, Franka Rolfix II, Ikonta 524/2 (no, can't use that, the shutter is separated from the camera by some 10000km...), Century Graphic or soon to arrive Super Ikonta III.

Maybe it would be a good time to by something else just for this ? :o

Choices, choices....

jgjbowen
10-21-2006, 06:46 PM
Now that I have a 7x17, I guess that makes my 8x10 my "medium format" folding camera :p

Dug
10-24-2006, 12:02 AM
Doug:

Thanks - I've found that the 120 film cannisters that J & C sell are big enough to hold the 616 spool, so if you are looking for something that doesn't require taking the film off the spool in the field, you may want to try them (in the changing bag, of course).

My 616 camera has a spring loaded pressure plate, so film flatness isn't as vulnerable. One thing you might try though to provide tension is small 7/8" fabric pads that are designed to be put on to the legs of chairs, to protect floors. They are just squishy enough to provide some tension. Just be careful to check for shedding.;)

Good luck with the black chunk.

Matt

Matt:

The chunk-ectomy was successful! I was able to dismantle and clean all lens surfaces with ROR (Residual Oil Remover) and get rid of the large chunk, the smaller chunks, and the other deposits that have built up over the latter part of the previous century. I remember taking pictures of my sister's cat with this camera and being impressed with the performance in the early to mid 1980s. On to November!

landsknechte
11-01-2006, 11:26 PM
Great timing with this one... I picked up a nearly mint Voigtlander Jubilar over the weekend for a whopping three dollars, and have been itching to play with it, as it's the only folder I have that still takes commonly available film.

Alex Hawley
11-02-2006, 01:06 AM
Bump. OK everyone. Its November!

Dug
11-08-2006, 01:46 PM
Eight inches of rain in Seattle in 7 days. November has not been kind for image-making (yet). The Kodak Six-16 folder is pretty bullet proof, but not waterproof. Anyone else having any luck?

wilsonneal
11-08-2006, 07:49 PM
Not sure yet. I was out in NYC in today's torrential rains with my new-to-me Franka Solida III (Thanks Matt). Haven't souped the HP5 yet but I am optimistic about some frames of people with umbrellas by the NY Public Library's lions. I hope I got something worth printing to justify my soaked feet.
Neal

colrehogan
11-08-2006, 09:13 PM
Have taken the grand total of two shots with mine.

25asa
11-09-2006, 07:31 PM
I shot a roll of Adox 100 thru the Kodak No. 2 Folding Autographic Brownie with the Rapid Rectilinear - but didn't like any of the compositions.

For grins I took a shot of the moon, hand held on the last frame.
1/50th at US16.