PDA

View Full Version : Minimalism in photography/ Discussing Vicky Dasilva photographs

Jim Chinn
10-26-2006, 03:11 PM
I found this site linked to at the Gallery Hopper web blog. In a recent thread someone asked about contemporary photographers working in a minimalist way and good portion of this work would fit that definition.

I can't seem to be able to upload a specific image off her site, so here is a link. If anyone wants to upload one please do.

http://www.vickidasilva.com/

Michel Hardy-Vallée
10-26-2006, 06:52 PM
Funny, it's the same idea I had when I took the Brownie shots that I have in my gallery, but she did so in a much more accomplished way.

I like the graffitis, I think they are the ones that work the best with the idea.

Gay Larson
10-26-2006, 07:53 PM
Very interesting. I also like the graffiti. I think the later work is more minimalistic though.

Les McLean
10-26-2006, 08:17 PM
A lot of the minimalism is a straight rip off of Mark Rothko, I'm not too impressed

Ray Heath
10-26-2006, 08:32 PM
g'day Jim, they don't appeal to me, nice swirls and colours, but not a good use of photography

bruce terry
10-26-2006, 09:41 PM
The work on this site comes across way more maxed-out than minimalist. A hopped-up 'photographic' image isn't my idea of spare, of minimum.

Jim Chinn
10-27-2006, 12:11 AM
They are minimalist in that the components of the flourescent lighted works consist of simple color and form. I think her work is currently being shown along with Dan Flavin neon sculptures somewhere in NYC.

For those not familiar with Flavin, he is considered one of the major minimalist influences from the 1960s.

here is an example of his work for anyone interested.
http://www.artseensoho.com/Art/LEOCASTELLI/flavin98/flavin.html

spiralcity
10-01-2007, 03:36 AM
I loved the covered bridge shots. These are great pics. Thanks for posting the link.

Sparky
10-01-2007, 03:51 AM
They are minimalist in that the components of the flourescent lighted works consist of simple color and form. I think her work is currently being shown along with Dan Flavin neon sculptures somewhere in NYC.

For those not familiar with Flavin, he is considered one of the major minimalist influences from the 1960s.

here is an example of his work for anyone interested.
http://www.artseensoho.com/Art/LEOCASTELLI/flavin98/flavin.html

EXCEPT - that flavin's work MIGHT be considered Minimal-ISM only through the 'minimal' use of material in his medium of choice. I see this work as being more about graphics maybe... about line and form. There's certainly a 'performance' or 'ritual' aspect that complicates any discussion of it though.

S.F. Sorrow
03-02-2009, 01:35 AM
Those photographs look a lot more psychedelic then minimal! Still, I think Vicki did an excellent job executing the play of time and color. What sort of fluorescent tube did she use that doesn't need to be plugged into AC power?

rudolf
03-03-2009, 03:01 PM
Also, I cannot say it's minimalistic photography.
It's rather an abstraction "art".
I don't like it. :)

Well, anyway isn't Kenna's work best example of minimalism in photography?

naeroscatu
03-03-2009, 05:40 PM
As said this looks more of abstract work to me than minimalistic. When I say abstract work I don't mean art though. To me art touches the soul, makes you think. This work is just... sort of an intersting experiment.
Simple compositions and strong message is what I call minimalistic art and the above reference to Kenna is a very good one.