View Full Version : paper negative + polaroid 350

Mustafa Umut Sarac
10-29-2006, 10:19 AM
i have a polaroid 350 and i found people take pictures with paper negatives.
After the development , how do you print it ? I am not trusting to scanners , i want a analog solution.

Best ,

Mustafa Umut Sarac

David A. Goldfarb
10-29-2006, 10:22 AM
If you make a paper negative, you can contact print it to another sheet of paper, emulsion-to-emulsion. Find a brand of paper for the negative that doesn't have any printing on the back, or the printing will show up in the final print.

Mustafa Umut Sarac
10-30-2006, 04:41 PM
Dear List , Dear Mr. Goldfarb , As you know Ansel Adams was using Agfa Brovira at the end of his career. Is agfa still manufacturing this paper ? Does it have printing at the back ? Where can I buy it fresh , cheap and suitable for 350 ?
What is the ASA of this paper ?

Best ,

Mustafa Umut Sarac

David A. Goldfarb
10-30-2006, 05:00 PM
Agfa paper usually had printing on the back, and the Brovira of Ansel's day is long gone. There may be some more modern Agfa paper around in stock, but I don't think they've been making B&W paper for a while now.

Ilford paper usually doesn't have any printing on the back.

10-30-2006, 05:09 PM
Agfa is out of business, but Brovira papers can still be found cheap on eBay.
ISO for paper is somewhere around 10, so you will need long exposures. The Polaroid 350 is an automatic camera, which lets you set film sensitivity from ISO 75 to 3000, but has no manual shutter or B setting, which probably makes it unsuitable for what you plan to do. Also, you will have to reload your camera in the darkroom or in a changing bag after each shot.
Maybe you could fool the camera by taping off the "electric eye" that controls exposure, leaving only a small hole to let some light through. You will have to experiment to get it right, if it works at all. Remember that the maximum exposure time on these shutters is 12 seconds. Why don't you try some outdated (=cheap) Polaroid packfilm first?
Oh yes, don't use multigrade paper: the color of the object photographed will influence the contrast, especially if you have greens and blues in the shot.

Joe VanCleave
11-01-2006, 02:46 PM
I've shot paper negatives in a Polaroid Land 800 with some success. I use Arista grade 2 RC, which I rate at EI=2.


I find that the shutter on the Land 800 is able to give me exposures adequate for paper.

For printing, I contact print onto FB paper. Arista and most Ilford papers don't have watermarks. But I find that using paper as "film" works better with graded paper negatives, especially in daylight scenes that are rich in UV/blue; this light would activate the high-contrast emulsion in VC paper, giving blown out contrast in sunny conditions.

I've also found it possible to enlarge 4x5 paper negatives, on my Beseller 4x5 condensor enlarger. Place the paper negative emulsion side down in the glass carrier, and open the lens aperture wide open (f/4). Typical printing times are around 45 seconds on Forte or Ilford FB paper.

11-01-2006, 03:14 PM
hi there

you might see if you can find some varycon paper -- it works very well for paper negatives.


when you make your contact print, you can get both emulsions wet and stick the papers together and put them under a sheet of glass to make sure you get a good bond ..

good luck!