PDA

View Full Version : 1922

Justin Cormack
10-30-2006, 06:33 PM
I picked up some glass plates (half plate) from an amateur photographer in 1922. Whats was the normal printing paper of the day? They look ortho or pan to me (unlike the earlier plate I have), and not hugely contrasty (the early one wouldnt print on grade 2 paper but would salt print).

Its always nice to print old negs as they would have been...

glennfromwy
10-30-2006, 11:14 PM
If the plates originated in the UK, it's good odds they would have been printed on Ilford paper. You may want to try them on fiber base semi matte.

Ian Grant
11-04-2006, 09:40 AM
Modern papers are quite different in characteristics.

In 1922 there were plenty of other B&W paper manufacurers in the UK. Kodak, Kosmos, Barnet, Criterion, Kentmere, not sure if Wellington's, Mallandain's or Cadet and Neal were still trading, and I'm sure I've missed a few, Also paper from "The Actien Gesellschaft für Anilin Fabrikation" (Agfa) was imported.

Perhaps a better starting point would be Centennial POP paper, made in the UK by Kentmere & sold by Retro Phographic

Ian

If the plates originated in the UK, it's good odds they would have been printed on Ilford paper. You may want to try them on fiber base semi matte.

Ole
11-06-2006, 09:23 PM
Try any decent graded fiber paper. Grade 2 or 1 I would expect to be fine. The "authentic" paper would probably be single-weight gelatin-silver at that time - so-called "gaslight paper".