PDA

View Full Version : Monthly Shooting Assignment - Nov & Dec 2006

Pages : 1 [2]

CGross
11-03-2006, 09:34 PM
But what about LF?

I'll have to defer to someone with alot more empiricl knowledge of LF than me!!

John Bartley
11-07-2006, 04:22 PM
Ok folks, we have to decide what the assignment is going to be. Following is a suggestion for making the choice easier in coming months so here it is.

1) We start by having someone choose the subject from among the suggestions posted so far (For this session, I'll select a victim to make the first choice :) )

2) Once that subject has been chosen, we all photograph, scan and post until the last day of the session.

3) During the week following the end of posting, the person who chose the current subject will decide which photo they either like best, or fits the subject best and the poster responsible for that photo becomes the new topic selector, nagging motivator for contributions and judge for the next round.

I can't take credit for this idea as it is in use at another forum, but it works well there, so maybe we could try it here? My thinking is that it eliminates the debate about the choice of subject and gets things under way quickly and positively.

Please tell me what you think ?? We need to get started on this round.

cheers

Stew Squires
11-07-2006, 04:54 PM
Are the shots posted to the gallery or attached to a reply?

Thanks

John Bartley
11-07-2006, 05:21 PM
Are the shots posted to the gallery or attached to a reply?

Thanks

Hi Stew,

The pictures are posted to the "Monthly Shooting Assignment" gallery.

cheers

copake_ham
11-07-2006, 07:34 PM
John,

You are a saint for taking this on - it must be worse than herding cats!

So, compliments delivered - what's the subject (or is it subjects, since you're doing two months)?

Oh, and does "neatness count"? ;)

Bromo33333
11-07-2006, 07:38 PM
Waiting with baited breath! :)
(Or is it the fish & chips I had for dinner .... ? ) ;)

John Bartley
11-08-2006, 06:17 AM
John,

You are a saint for taking this on - it must be worse than herding cats!

So, compliments delivered - what's the subject (or is it subjects, since you're doing two months)?

Oh, and does "neatness count"? ;)

Hehehe - trust me when I say that there's nothing saintly about me :). I just enjoy seeing the photographs.

I have a couple of victims in mind as first round choosers/judges, so I'll wait for a couple more days to see if anyone has any objections to the idea and if there are none, then we'll go ahead.

Just a note : this is not a contest, picking a "judge" (I dislike that title) is simply a method to expedite and provide some variety in the subject selection process.

Bromo : don't hold your breath ... you'll turn cod-blue and pass out :) We'll be underway soon - I promise.

cheers

kraker
11-08-2006, 05:28 PM
(...)
I'll wait for a couple more days to see if anyone has any objections to the idea and if there are none, then we'll go ahead.

No objections here, sounds like a sound plan to me!

John Bartley
11-11-2006, 10:29 AM
Ok folks .....

The topic selector, maybe better known as ::

Judge .... Jury (of one) ... and Executioner for the November/December submissions is ...

drum roll please ............ (okay - just pretend eh?)

wait for it .............

The Blansky - yup - it's true - he's gonna be here IN PERSON (virtually) and you'll be hearing from him shortly.

The Right Honourable (check that Canajun spelling eh?) Blansky is going to select a topic for the November/December submissions and then he's going to go away and leave us alone until the first week of January 2007 when he will reappear fully swathed in his Judges robes to inform us of his decision as to who will be his Judgely (is that a word?) successor.

Please stand by for His Worshipfullness ....

blansky
11-11-2006, 10:45 AM
THE SUBJECT OF NOVEMBER/DECEMBER SHOOTING ASSIGNMENT IS...........................WAIT FOR IT...................IS...............

Shoot the most remarkable expressive face that you can find. Then shoot that same face with the most incredible engaging laughter you can evoke from them.

Must be two seperate expressions.
They can't live in you household.

Judging will be on lighting as well as impact.

Michael

Markok765
11-11-2006, 10:50 AM
Yay! im great at portraits!

mark
11-11-2006, 10:31 PM
This is going to be damn tough.

John Bartley
11-12-2006, 06:39 AM
Yup ... this is gonna be tough. I may have to retire my 8x10 in favour of a 120 folder or my old Yashica 35mm .....

Well folks, we have until the last day of December, so get those thinking caps on and start looking for victims to photograph :)

cheers

blansky
11-12-2006, 02:31 PM
Part of the concept is to get outside your comfort zone.

Photographing trees is too easy. You just sneak up on them and shoot them when they aren't looking.

So is street photography in a lot of cases. Stalk and shoot. But here you have to engage your subject. Then evoke responses.

Michael

kraker
11-13-2006, 03:45 AM
Photographing trees is too easy. You just sneak up on them and shoot them when they aren't looking.

LOL! :D

Well, indeed, getting outside your comfort zone. It's quite an assignment, nice idea, but it won't be easy. (Nobody said it had to be "easy".)

blansky
11-13-2006, 10:40 AM
Well you've had a number of months to work on those other mamby-pamby assignments, now you're ready for the big time.

As for easy. What could be easier than taking pictures of people. There are billions of them around, they all look different, and now you get the chance to meet them instead of just slinking around shoot them when they aren't looking.

Michael

Christopher Walrath
11-17-2006, 05:30 PM
I like this one. I have always wanted to do something like this and now I have the excuse. not that I didn't have it before. This is cool.

robertarthur
11-27-2006, 04:00 PM
I have been contemplating a series on transportation for a couple of years (yeah I know, pitiful).

This might be the trick to get me off the couch and out of the office.

John Bartley
11-27-2006, 04:11 PM
I have been contemplating a series on transportation for a couple of years (yeah I know, pitiful).

This might be the trick to get me off the couch and out of the office.

It sounds like fun, but if you're going to have it as the subject of a monthly shooting assignment, then you'll have to be selected by "the blansky" by submitting a qualifying pair of photos for the for Nov/Dec assignment as described in this post :

http://www.apug.org/forums/showpost.php?p=390557&postcount=30

cheers