PDA

View Full Version : Monthly Shooting Assignment - Nov & Dec 2006

Pages : [1] 2

John Bartley
10-31-2006, 08:33 PM
I PM'd davidb to see if he was going to return to run this MSA forum and his reply was that he would be away for a while and so he would be unable.

I volunteered to lead the last one just to fill the space left by davidb, but all joking about coups aside, if anyone else wishes to be the forum leader, I certainly won't resist being overthrown :).

Regardless who leads, we need suggestions for the next two months. I would suggest that we take suggestions for a week or two, then vote/poll/make a decision so that we can take photos and submit them before the end of December.

Any ideas? Maybe some of the same ideas that were suggested and not used previously?

cheers

Bromo33333
10-31-2006, 08:49 PM
How about ... transportation...?

kraker
11-01-2006, 06:46 AM
How about ... transportation...?

Interesting, could be something!

Just pitching in a crazy idea: for the people shooting B&W: express the subject "colo(u)r" using B&W; for the people who insist on shooting colour: express "Black and White" using colour.

Anyhow... I hope I do have some time and inspiration to join the assignment this time. It's certainly not due to a lack of interest that I didn't join last time.

(edit... ah, post number 100! I should really start thinking about a post in the "introduce yourself" thread...)

John Bartley
11-02-2006, 03:36 PM
Two good ideas!

Some ideas from previous months ::

1.--School Buses!
2.--Old barns

--Jeffrey

looking up
at my feet
what i saw today
check this out

Ray Heath

car washes at night
liquor stores at night

Jeremy Moore

The Old and the Young

Donald Miller

mark
11-02-2006, 04:09 PM
How about parallels

roteague
11-02-2006, 05:22 PM
Hmm.... there seems to be a trend here. All the assignments seem to be "micro" oriented - objects, buildings, etc - but nothing grand, like beaches, mountains, lakes, etc. Just an observation.

Markok765
11-02-2006, 05:47 PM
How about street photography?

John Bartley
11-02-2006, 06:01 PM
Hmm.... there seems to be a trend here. All the assignments seem to be "micro" oriented - objects, buildings, etc - but nothing grand, like beaches, mountains, lakes, etc. Just an observation.

Good point Robert. Marko has broadened things a bit with "street photography". Would you like to have one of your topics added as a suggestion for the list?

cheers

mark
11-02-2006, 07:36 PM
You can't find parallels in the grand landscape?

John Bartley
11-03-2006, 05:54 AM
You can't find parallels in the grand landscape?

You're absolutely correct, they certainly could be found in a landscape and almost anywhere else too.. (cityscapes / factory floors etc)

We have a few good suggestions so far. We'll keep taking them for a few more days and then start either a discussion or a poll to decide unless someone else would care to suggest a different/better course of action.

cheers

Jim Noel
11-03-2006, 12:13 PM
How about "In My House", or "In My Yard"

roteague
11-03-2006, 12:43 PM
The reason for my observation is that I see that most here on APUG always look towards the macro, like mud cracks, rocks, trees, any small item they can single out with their lens. While there is certainly nothing wrong with that approach, it seems that very few even try to look at the things in any other way (look at the gallery).

One thought, however. When you look at the work of the masters, like Ansel Adams, you see that they also mastered the grand landscape (or it could be any other grand scene). Take a look at this image, by one of our own APUG members: http://www.apug.org/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=19392&cat=2. How many here would feel comfortable taking this kind of shot?

Perhaps, it is time to stretch the comfort zone a bit and look outside the micro box many have placed themselves into.

Just my .02c worth,

Shawn Dougherty
11-03-2006, 03:52 PM
The reason for my observation is that I see that most here on APUG always look towards the macro, like mud cracks, rocks, trees, any small item they can single out with their lens. While there is certainly nothing wrong with that approach, it seems that very few even try to look at the things in any other way (look at the gallery).

One thought, however. When you look at the work of the masters, like Ansel Adams, you see that they also mastered the grand landscape (or it could be any other grand scene). Take a look at this image, by one of our own APUG members: http://www.apug.org/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=19392&cat=2. How many here would feel comfortable taking this kind of shot?

Perhaps, it is time to stretch the comfort zone a bit and look outside the micro box many have placed themselves into.

Just my .02c worth,

I think the key here is not to merely step back and make a picture of a big scene but to apply the same level of organization used in "macro" work to larger areas. This organization of visual relationships on a grander scale, is in my opinion, one of the hardest things to pull off. I'd say Michael A. Smith would be one of the masters of such photography... I would site the following photograph as a breakthrough in my photographic seeing

http://www.shawndougherty.com/palmpoles.html

Simply stepping back isn't enough, but to step back and make something more than a representation of what's in front of you is the real challenge.

Just my .02c

roteague
11-03-2006, 04:10 PM
I think the key here is not to merely step back and make a picture of a big scene but to apply the same level of organization used in "macro" work to larger areas. This organization of visual relationships on a grander scale, is in my opinion, one of the hardest things to pull off. I'd say Michael A. Smith would be one of the masters of such photography... I would site the following photograph as a breakthrough in my photographic seeing

http://www.shawndougherty.com/palmpoles.html

Simply stepping back isn't enough, but to step back and make something more than a representation of what's in front of you is the real challenge.

Just my .02c

Good points Shawn. Michael's work is a good example, butI would also suggest Jack Dykinga, Joe Cornish or Ken Duncan (for panoramic format) as well.

I didn't want to make my comments too tied to landscape photography, since I am aware that not everyone likes that kind of work, but I think the same principles apply. A grand landscape, is one where the viewer is led from the foreground through the image into the distant background. Many here seem to have trouble with seeing the image as a whole - they tend to see just a single object (however that may be defined), and while they do look at the object's surrounding, they never really give consideration to how that object interacts with or is part of the overall landscape itself.

Your Palm and Poles image is an excellent image (one that I would love to see hanging on a wall), but I see it as more of an intimate landscape; I can't find the relationship of the palms to the distant mountains (this is tough to do in a panoramic format).

Once again, this doesn't mean that the intimate landscape itself is bad. In fact, I have much more trouble photographing this concept myself, than I do the grand landscape (and I see it as something I need to work on).

Shawn Dougherty
11-03-2006, 04:39 PM
I understand your position and am familier with Jack and Joe's work, thought not Ken Duncan's. I think the difference between the type of land scape photography to which you refer and that that I prefer comes down to a matter of taste. Of course, doesn't everything?

Thanks for the compliment, it is appreciated. As far as the relationship between the mountains and palm trees in my photograph, it is primarily visual. You have the overlapping and receeding triangles of dark trees and light mountains set over the trianlge of grass below, the palms and poles fill the frame in a different way and provide vertical and horizontal movement as well as texture.

"A grand landscape, is one where the viewer is led from the foreground through the image into the distant background. Many here seem to have trouble with seeing the image as a whole - they tend to see just a single object (however that may be defined), and while they do look at the object's surrounding, they never really give consideration to how that object interacts with or is part of the overall landscape itself."

Once again I don't think people have a problem so much as they simply have different asthetic tastes than you. I also think the grand lancscape can mean many things and to try and pin it down with such rules is a little silly. I guess it's neither here nor there and reguardless of what the assignment turns out to be I'm sure there will be many different types of vision represented, thankfully!

I don't mean to sound confrontational, I'm really just pissed that you're in Hawaii! Best. Shawn

kwmullet
11-03-2006, 04:55 PM
How about an assignment that could apply to any subject matter, like:

Triangle or Three.

roteague
11-03-2006, 07:15 PM
I don't mean to sound confrontational, I'm really just pissed that you're in Hawaii! Best. Shawn

No worries, I didn't see your comments as confrontational at all. I rather enjoyed discussing the difference between the intimate and grand landscape.

As for Hawaii, well it has been pouring rain here all week, with flooding, landslides and road closures. Today, it has finally cleared up a bit.

Shawn Dougherty
11-03-2006, 08:17 PM
No worries, I didn't see your comments as confrontational at all. I rather enjoyed discussing the difference between the intimate and grand landscape.

As for Hawaii, well it has been pouring rain here all week, with flooding, landslides and road closures. Today, it has finally cleared up a bit.

Glad to hear that, I enjoy it, too! Most of my friends couldn't care less about photography in general let alone have an opinion about this subject...

We have our share of rain, snow(does this make up for the landslide?), flooding and road closures here in PA, I'll bet when it clears up you've got the better end of the deal! I like the seasons, here, I shouldn't complain too much. The real problem is cloud cover. The airforce built a base nearby because this is one of the most cloud covered areas of the country... What a great distinction. Nothing a red filter can't fix I suppose. Best. Shawn

CGross
11-03-2006, 08:49 PM
As seen through a normal lens (pick your format), focused at infinity?

Markok765
11-03-2006, 09:04 PM
As seen through a normal lens (pick your format), focused at infinity?

But what about LF?