PDA

View Full Version : Looking for info on a light meter...

steveanalog
11-04-2006, 05:00 PM
I was going through some of my equipment, old and newer, and I found a light meter That I had purchased used at my favorite camera store. It is a Gossen LUNA-PRO F, aparrently sold in the late 1970"s. It came without a manuel, or more than likely I lost it. I went to the Gossen Web Site and found a manuel that is close, but not the right one. Can anyone give me any help, history, cost when new etc. It is in pristeen condition and I am thinking about teaching myself how to use it. Any information will be deeply appreciated.:confused:
Thanks again, Steve

Roger Hicks
11-04-2006, 05:12 PM
I was going through some of my equipment, old and newer, and I found a light meter That I had purchased used at my favorite camera store. It is a Gossen LUNA-PRO F, aparrently sold in the late 1970"s. It came without a manuel, or more than likely I lost it. I went to the Gossen Web Site and found a manuel that is close, but not the right one. Can anyone give me any help, history, cost when new etc. It is in pristeen condition and I am thinking about teaching myself how to use it. Any information will be deeply appreciated.:confused:
Thanks again, Steve

Dear Steve,

First off you need the battery adapter to allow the use of modern silver cells. After that -- well, it's unbelievably simple. At the risk of appearing rude, if you can't figure out how to use it without the manual, I'm not sure the manual will help. I bought mine in the mid 70s and I don't think I ever had a manual.

Cheers,

R.

JBrunner
11-04-2006, 05:47 PM
Set the film speed(small dial). Position the meter where you wish to take a reading. Push the big red button (the small red button is the battery check). Turn the big dial until the needle is on "0". Speed and aperture relationships can now be read on the dial. You can push and hold the button again (it can be rotated to lock it down, if you desire) after the reading is set and by moving the meter about, read how many stops over or under a given area might be from the initial reading by watching the needle. Caution: observing the EV readings can lead to zoning out.

steveanalog
11-04-2006, 05:53 PM
Dear Steve,

First off you need the battery adapter to allow the use of modern silver cells. After that -- well, it's unbelievably simple. At the risk of appearing rude, if you can't figure out how to use it without the manual, I'm not sure the manual will help. I bought mine in the mid 70s and I don't think I ever had a manual.

Cheers,

R.

Thanks for your reply. Not to show my lack of knowledge, if you are refering to todays batteries, " modern silver cells", it already uses them. It uses a 9 volt. I am looking for a manual, for two reasons, one to help myself understand and fully use all aspects of the meter, and also to have a complete system for collective purposes. I will over look your rudeness, apparently we all aren't as smart as you. Thanks again for your reply, I wish I could say it helped. Steve

Roger Hicks
11-04-2006, 06:19 PM
Thanks for your reply. Not to show my lack of knowledge, if you are refering to todays batteries, " modern silver cells", it already uses them. It uses a 9 volt. I am looking for a manual, for two reasons, one to help myself understand and fully use all aspects of the meter, and also to have a complete system for collective purposes. I will over look your rudeness, apparently we all aren't as smart as you. Thanks again for your reply, I wish I could say it helped. Steve

Dear Steve,

I apologize for what you perceive as rudeness, and also for my mis-remembering: I was thinking of the original Luna-Pro, not the F, which I also have. Of course the F does not use silver cells, but as you say, a 9v battery.

I'd still ask, though, why you need a manual. In incident mode it is used like any other incident meter; in reflected mode, like any other reflected meter. ANY book or web-site on metering technique should tell you all you need to know: I'm not quite sure what you mean by 'collective purposes'. There is a 'correction' ring, which is best left on '0'; a battery check (the little green button on the right); a flash/ambient button (on the left, in for ambient, out for flash). Press the big red button (upper left) to take a reading; use the dial to get a null reading. The ISO dial is not hard to figure; use the main index, or one of the Zone indices if you are reading a limited area (a spot meter is a better bet).

With the exception of the gate time when mixing ambient and flash, for which I freeld admit you need the instruction book, I really don't see what there is on this meter to require further explanation.

What do you need to know? I'll help if I can.

Cheers,

R.

steveanalog
11-04-2006, 06:20 PM
Set the film speed(small dial). Position the meter where you wish to take a reading. Push the big red button (the small red button is the battery check). Turn the big dial until the needle is on "0". Speed and aperture relationships can now be read on the dial. You can push and hold the button again (it can be rotated to lock it down, if you desire) after the reading is set and by moving the meter about, read how many stops over or under a given area might be from the initial reading by watching the needle. Caution: observing the EV readings can lead to zoning out.

Thanks for your reply, and the information, deeply appreciated. I start using it tomorrow, thanks again, JBrunner, Steve

steveanalog
11-04-2006, 06:29 PM
Dear Steve,

I apologize for what you perceive as rudeness, and also for my mis-remembering: I was thinking of the original Luna-Pro, not the F, which I also have. Of course the F does not use silver cells, but as you say, a 9v battery.

I'd still ask, though, why you need a manual. In incident mode it is used like any other incident meter; in reflected mode, like any other reflected meter. ANY book or web-site on metering technique should tell you all you need to know: I'm not quite sure what you mean by 'collective purposes'. There is a 'correction' ring, which is best left on '0'; a battery check (the little green button on the right); a flash/ambient button (on the left, in for ambient, out for flash). Press the big red button (upper left) to take a reading; use the dial to get a null reading. The ISO dial is not hard to figure; use the main index, or one of the Zone indices if you are reading a limited area (a spot meter is a better bet).

With the exception of the gate time when mixing ambient and flash, for which I freeld admit you need the instruction book, I really don't see what there is on this meter to require further explanation.

What do you need to know? I'll help if I can.

Cheers,

R.

I apologize also I may have started out on the wrong foot. Thanks for your input, I will put in use tomorrow when I put it and me to the test, so to speak. I am anal about having the instruction manuals for all of my equipment, according to Gossen they list this meter as a collectable, so if it is actually that, it is worth more with it. Thanks again, and I will put my fangs away. Steve

Roger Hicks
11-04-2006, 06:38 PM
I apologize also I may have started out on the wrong foot. Thanks for your input, I will put in use tomorrow when I put it and me to the test, so to speak. I am anal about having the instruction manuals for all of my equipment, according to Gossen they list this meter as a collectable, so if it is actually that, it is worth more with it. Thanks again, and I will put my fangs away. Steve

Dear Steve,

If you are happy to accept my apology, I cheerfully accept yours. I'll see if I can find an instruction book: I have two of these meters, bought new as part of a job lot when Paterson lost the Gossen distributorship (before regaining it again). I may have a box, too, though I really can't be sure. I've moved at least twice since then.

We have completely different viewpoints about instruction books. As one who used to write them (for computers and software), my own view is that if a product needs an instruction book, it also needs redesigning until it doesn't...

In any case, I have my doubts as to the value of a collectable/collectible meter, with or without instructions (opinions on the spelling vary).

Cheers,

R.

Lee L
11-04-2006, 07:06 PM
This should be the correct manual. The meter went by a slightly different name in Europe:

http://www.gossen-photo.de/pdf/ba_lunasixf_e.pdf

Lee

JBrunner
11-05-2006, 04:33 AM
a battery check (the little green button on the right);
R.

Roger is correct, it is green. Guess I zoned out. (working from memory, I gave mine away. A mistake I regret.)

steveanalog
11-06-2006, 06:12 PM
Thank you Lee, you are correct. I don't know how I missed the instruction manual you pointed out, looking to hard I guess. I have printed it off, and I will put it to good use, Thanks again
Steve

johnnywalker
11-06-2006, 07:31 PM
I bought one of these on Ebay earlier this year, and just bought a "spot" (15 or 7.5 degree) attachment for it, as well as an enlarging attachment. I know they're old, but never thought of it as "collectable". I also have the manual for it which I will copy for you if you're not satisfied with the internet one. It's a flash meter as well, although I haven't tried to use this function.

Curt
11-06-2006, 08:59 PM
I did the same as jonnywalker did and bought the meter with case and bought the spot attachment soon after. I havn't checked the flash metering but it measures just about the same as my Zone IV modified Soligor meter. I wanted one for a backup and it's a perfect backup if not a primary meter. It's a little on the big size but it's worth the weight.

Curt
11-06-2006, 09:15 PM
Sorry for the name misspelling I should have typed Johnnywalker. Some days I just can't type worth a darn. Verizon is on and off this time of day and is very frustrating which is no help either. I missed spell checking too because I was in a hurry to avoid being cut off.

Curt

DBP
11-06-2006, 09:56 PM
I doubt that any light meters are collectable in the usual sense. Many photographers accumulate them, but I have never heard of anyone collecting them.

Changeling1
11-23-2006, 12:20 PM
Thank you Lee, you are correct. I don't know how I missed the instruction manual you pointed out, looking to hard I guess. I have printed it off, and I will put it to good use, Thanks again

Steve

The manual that came with my LPF was quite comprehensive and touted itself to be a "complete course in photography" or something similar. It covers "multiple pop" exposure and bellows extension and a basic zone system for metering. The location of the manual eludes me but I can say that my Luna Pro F has worked well for the 21 years that I've owned it. I used it a lot in my former studio for metering flash. One can obtain some beautiful vintage and later model meters off ePay for outrageously low prices. I recently purchased a pristine digital Ultra Pro with leather case and manual for $60.00. :)