PDA

View Full Version : How low can I go.... to 11x14

wirehead
11-14-2006, 06:01 PM
So the cost of 11x14 B&W film is not entirely obscene (compare to 20x24 film, heh heh :P ). I'd be happy with 11x14 contact prints. I like the idea of people looking at me even funnier than they do now....

How inexpensively can I do ULF? Assuming I get a single multi-purpose lens, a used body, and a minimalist set of accessories for it, what is a good dollar amount to plan for? It's looking like I could get a lens for a few hundered based on postings to classified, but what about the rest?

User Removed
11-14-2006, 07:03 PM
I would say around 2,000.00

If needed, I have a Burke & James 11x14 camera for sale for 1,650.00

wfwhitaker
11-14-2006, 07:36 PM
With ULF in general, the kicker is going to be the film holders. Unless you get lucky, you're going to find that even used, they'll set you back close to $300 per. If you can find a camera that has clean usable holders included, you'll probably be way ahead.

jnanian
11-14-2006, 07:56 PM
So the cost of 11x14 B&W film is not entirely obscene (compare to 20x24 film, heh heh :P ). I'd be happy with 11x14 contact prints. I like the idea of people looking at me even funnier than they do now....

How inexpensively can I do ULF? Assuming I get a single multi-purpose lens, a used body, and a minimalist set of accessories for it, what is a good dollar amount to plan for? It's looking like I could get a lens for a few hundered based on postings to classified, but what about the rest?

hi there

i recently acquired a 11x14 camera that "needs a little work"
for not very much money. i will be devising my own back for it ( probably a 11x14 and a 7x11 ) and i will be shooting paper instead of film. i have planned out the back of the camera and it will cost me some or black foamcore/ 8ply board and either a pane of ground glass already made, or i will try to make it myself on the cheep. knowing that film holders are very expensive ($200+ used at places like midwest photo exch. ) i have devised a way to use paper with a "drawbridge" or hand made dark slide so i can have a sheet of black foamcore for each sheet if paper i plan to expose. sounds kind of elaborate, but it is gonna be easy once i get to "jerry's" ... all in all, so far it has cost me what i paid for the camera, and a bottle of india ink ( i already have the pva ) to de-pinhole the bellows. i already have a lens or 2 that will cover the real estate, but even if it doesn't, i don't really care :)

have fun!
john

doughowk
11-15-2006, 05:35 AM
There are alot of hidden/unexpected costs with going ULF. The filmholders are the big sticker shock. A lens that will cover the format is another - I got a barrel lens relatively cheap for my 7X17. Film processing - I use grey conduit pipe to make tubes. Film itself is not cheap. Then negative storage and a larger darkcloth. This is all presuming that you get a workable camera at reasonable price. Don't know if I would have made the jump if I had known all the costs; but the end results are very rewarding.

photomc
11-15-2006, 06:56 AM
Agree with doughowk, go with one of the process barrel lens. Seem to recall the 305 Agfa Super Intergon that I got from Sandy King (maybe he will step in) will cover 11x14. Nice glass but does not go in a shutter, so the old hat shutter works...etc. Just to find out if you like it or not, why not build yourself a pinhole 11x14 out of cardboard and use paper negs to see if you like the format? Just a thought.

pandino
11-15-2006, 09:56 AM
I'd say Ryan is pretty close to the right figure for a camera, depending on the condition of the camera.

I recently went down this road and there are a bunch of other things you'll need. Like lens(es) with greater coverage, heavy duty tripod & head, bigger dark cloth/tent. Add add'l the cost of the 1 film holder and you're at about $2500-$2750.

Then you'll want: larger contact printing frame, packard shutter, film developing drums and regular vists to the chiropractor. :p

I love having the big image and tons of bellows draw for smaller formats (w/reducing backs), but I'm not sure I can afford to remain in this club for much longer. I may also be putting my kit on the block soon.

photobum
11-17-2006, 08:23 AM
How much for ULF? With a home made pinhole camera and a paper negative I'd say about 87 cents.

wirehead
11-17-2006, 09:08 PM
Hrm. The idea of starting with an 11x14 pinhole camera sounds awfully appealing.

John Kasaian
11-18-2006, 12:19 AM
You can even try a 16x20 pinhole camera. The downside of course is that you have to tie the cardboard box down really well or it will blow off your roof rack or out the bed of your pick up truck when driving down the road (!)

User Removed
11-18-2006, 07:59 AM
Usually if someone is interested in shooting ULF, it's because they are wanting the sharp detail and tonal range from a ULF negative. Personally, I don't consider doing a pinhole camera that takes 11x14 paper a "ultra large format camera".

He posted this in the forum about ULF cameras...not pinhole cameras.

Harrigan
11-18-2006, 08:16 AM
There is some middle ground between a pinhole and a $2000.00 camera in 11x14. If you are patient you can probably easily find an 11x14 camera for less than 2k and maybe alot less if it needs small repairs. I've seen 11x14's go for under 1000 in need of minor repairs and some people have gotten them for much less than that.

Film holders for 11x14 aren't cheap but antique wood ones can sometimes be found for a decent price if you are patient and look. I bought 6 11x14 holders for $150.00 about 2 years ago. I got lucky and would expect to pay 75-150 for an antique wood 11x14 holder. Keep in mind that antique wood ULF holders almost always need a little work to be tight.

Lenses for 11x14 are also pretty easy to find and inexpensive if you can deal with barrel lenses. You can find anything from wide angles to longer process type lenses for 100-200ea in barrel.

wirehead
11-18-2006, 01:00 PM
My general thought is that an 11x14 camera might be worth cobbling together in various stages, starting with a cardboard pinhole camera and then turning it into a real quality camera over time.

User Removed
11-18-2006, 02:41 PM
Look here...If your interested in shooting 11x14 camera, don't fart around and waste time with making cardboard cameras and buying pieces of garbage here and there. Just get a credit card, do some wise shopping for a used 11x14, 2-3 holders and a decent barrel lens. On top of this, you will also need an 11x14 contact printing frame (or large, thick piece of glass) and anything else you will need in your darkroom.

Shooting an 11x14 sheet of paper in a cardboard box is not going to tell if you like shooting with an 11x14 camera, or even if you can visual photographs in that size! The only way to do this is to actually TRY!

If your smart with your purchases, you can do everything for under 2,000.00, and if for some reason shooting 11x14 camera is not for you...turn around and sell it all for the same price you paid! Heck, you might even make a profit!

If you need some help finding stuff, just let me know.

Ryan McIntosh
www.RyanMcIntosh.net

JosBurke
11-30-2006, 02:11 PM
I agree with Ryan--if you want a beater--a beater is what you''ll get--as my Jim Galli has decided--he wants a real 11x14--no playing around any more. Well I happen to have a DD V-11 (I posted those pics just to tease Jim as they are sooo hard to get) but I also have 2 more 11x14's---I have a Wisner 11x14 Traditional in "as-new" condition as never used--A very very nice camera and a big old black Folmer-Schwing 11x14 that I bought locally for $500 that has boo-coo's of accessores from the 11x14 format back down to 5x7 and takes a big 9 inch lensboard which is a plus in iteself as neither the V-11 nor the Wisner will accept that Giant Dallmeyer 6D that I have----I don't need three 11x14's--if interested the 11x14 Wisner can be had for about 3 grand plus shipping and I'll include a good film 11x14 Holder--no junk and it is a first rate camera--the V-11 is not available and as Jim Galli well knows they are really hard to find and expensive----Wisner pics upon request !!
Email me!

jimgalli
11-30-2006, 03:52 PM
Been wanting to make a smart-ass comment to Joseph all day but the post comment section of the classifieds seems to be broke. Jos has had twice as many people visit his ad as have visited my WTB.

wirehead
11-30-2006, 07:32 PM
Hrm.

Interesting. So, how interchangable are the bits going to be? Do I have a reasonable expectation of getting any 11x14 lens and not needing to spend a bunch of time and/or money figuring out how to properly mount it? The idea of building some of it myself over a long span of time sounds rather appealing. Or the idea of having a functional camera at all times, even if it's just a pinhole or an 11x14 lens on an 8x10.

Because just being careful about picking up the bits involves having a stack of useless gear for some span of time. That's just not very fun for me.