PDA

View Full Version : Postcard Exchange : Round 9 - Details and Sign-up

Pages : 1 [2] 3

reellis67
12-06-2006, 02:09 PM
I feel that Bob is correct here, and that perhaps I should clarify my views a bit, if I can. I think that it is important to remember that there is a certain commitment when you join an exchange to complete your part of the bargain, and sometimes people will get upset if you don't. My default position is to give people a break, but since people do contact me about people who did not send cards, I have to attempt to find a middle ground. My main goal here is to try to make sure that everyone feels welcome to participate in the Postcard Exchange, doesn't feel heavily pressured if they are running behind. I would ask two things: one, that if you are going to be late that you please let us know so that everyone understands the situation - most people are quite understanding as long as they are not left in the dark - and two, that you sign up for an amount that you think you can do without undue stress, so that you can enjoy the exchange and still be able to send your cards so that others may enjoy the exchange too.

I know I've missed the deadline a few times <cough> for other exchanges, both on and off APUG, at one time or another, so I understand what it's like to be in that spot. That's why I put in the initial post about not being able to participate again until you have mailed your cards. If you can get caught up, please do, but I will not pester you via email or PM about it - I will simply not include you in the next round until you get caught up.

I hope that by both allowing people to print fewer cards and limiting the exchange to people that have completed the previous round that we will get to a point where only the cards on 'postal vacations' will be unseen. Lastly, I would also encourage anyone who does not get a card from someone in particular to contact them about it, as cards *do* get lost in the mail from time to time - they can get torn or jammed in machinery and, while the postal services of the world try to do a good job, they do have the occasional problem with small, thin pieces of mail like a postcard.

Thanks for all who have joined, and to those who have sent cards in the past. And, please, feel free to contact me to voice your opinion, good or bad on anything I've posted here (especialy the bad, because there is often a lot to be learned from criticism...)

- Randy

eric
12-06-2006, 02:12 PM
Okay, I'm in for the Minimum amount. I can bang off a dozen or so of the same image.

Bob F.
12-06-2006, 03:10 PM
I am often a day or three late myself on these sort of things, so I know how things can slip by one. None the less, that is an excuse that only works for a limited time and it is clearly not acceptable for people to let it drag on indefinitely.

I think the idea of not allowing anyone to participate until they have caught up is an entirely sound one and should reduce the problem of non-delivery in short order (Famous Last Words, Vol. 6)...

Cheers, Bob.

Black Dog
12-06-2006, 05:14 PM
:) :) Count me in for 30-the darkroom will be finished soon........famouser last words LMSO;)

bmccarthy007
12-06-2006, 06:06 PM
Count me in for 30. Round 8 was my first & I really enjoyed it. At last count, I think I had rec'd 22 or 23 vs. the 30 I sent out. I hope to post mine to the gallery soon (just need to borrow a little scanner time at work!).

It's a little disappointing to not get a full reply set, but stuff happens & I understand how the day job & everything else life throws at us gets in the way. While it's said the road to hell is paved with good intentions (& I've laid my share of asphalt down!) I'm not ready to condemn anyone for not meeting their obligation. As others have said, I think it's fair to ask folks to catch up before committing to do it again. One of the benefits of the matching method Nige introduced in the last round is that people can commit to a small number of cards and not put off printing & sending them out because it seems too daunting of a task to do 30 or more.

It's been a wonderful experience for me & my family to see the beautiful & interesting cards come in from all over the world. Thanks again to Nige and to Randy for organizing.

Brian

rst
12-07-2006, 01:22 AM
And anyway the 22 out of 30 were worth the 30 I sent.

Regards
-- Ruediger

BWKate
12-07-2006, 06:04 PM
I joined in Round #5. Received all for that Round except 2. (The total for that Round was I think in the twenties)
Round #6- Received all except 1! Total number was something like 37 , we sent an extra one to Simon from Ilford if we wanted to.
Round #7- Sent out 45 and received 35. That was perhaps my most disappointing round. Still fun though but the cost was starting to get a bit high.
Sat out Round #8 because I was moving.
Back again for Round #9!
Here's hoping everyone who signs up sends their cards! I owe some prints to a couple people that I intend to honour so I better get right on it.

CPorter
12-07-2006, 09:13 PM
I would like to sign up for this round. This is my first exchange and I'm only going to print about 15 cards, I want to see how it goes before I make a commitment to more cards. I'm on a very tight budget and only want to pay for postage to US folks only. Hope that is ok with everybody.

Chuck

BWKate
12-09-2006, 01:20 AM
Usually the rounds include people from all over the world.

rst
12-09-2006, 03:31 AM
... and only want to pay for postage to US folks only. Hope that is ok with everybody.
Chuck,

if you are on a tight budget, why don't you assign for say 10 cards around the world, instead of sending 15 cards to the US only.

If we all start with "but I want to send cards only to people in Europe" or only in the US or only in the US but not in ... say ... Florida etc. - who is going to organize the next round since we will drive Randy mad in deciding on the groups for this round ;)

Hey, looking at the stamps I must say, it is cheap to send a card from the US to Germany compared to the price you have to pay the other way round. But that probably does not help you.

Regards
-- Ruediger

Mick Fagan
12-09-2006, 09:29 AM
About the best thing the postcard exchange does for me, is the fact that the majority of cards come from all over the world.

That was the best incentive to joining!

Mick.

CPorter
12-09-2006, 09:29 AM
I was told by Randy that it would not be a problem. I really don't think it should have an impact on how others may participate, I think folks will continue to do what they do regardless of what I do. But I see what you are saying-----this is my first time to exchange and I just want to see how it goes.

Thanks,
Chuckk

reellis67
12-11-2006, 11:23 AM
So far, it looks like the count is right at 20 people, but as more people join in I'll update the count. As I stated in the original post, feel free to let me know how many you would like to print if you don't think you want to print the total number. Also, please be sure to PM me with your mailing address so that I have it to send to all participants.

Lastly, thanks again to all who have signed up for this round!

- Randy

BWKate
12-11-2006, 11:59 AM
I'm on my way to spend a delightful Monday in the darkroom printing my postcards. My favourite way to spend the day. It's kind of rainy and windy outside and I just finished driving my son and two of his friends to middle school so I'll first have breakfast, make a lunch, and then head off to the darkroom I use.

I haven't picked my image yet. Maybe another one from my China trip.

reellis67
12-11-2006, 12:06 PM
Kate,

That sounds great - I really enjoyed your last one. I've just today finished for this term (grad school) so I actualy have a life again, for a short while, and I too plan on getting into the dark quite a bit over the next few weeks. Happy printing!

- Randy

eric
12-11-2006, 12:52 PM
I did a print session yesterday during the daytime in my garage. Looks like some prints got fogged from too much light coming into the sides of the garage door.

But at night, I banged out about 15 postcards. I'm ready. What sucks about Nova...its hard to do a lot of prints. I can expose a whole bunch of postcards, stick them in a deep tray, and shuffle like cards. With the Nova, its as many clips as I have.

I wonder if I can get those picture stamps with postcard postage amounts?

reellis67
12-11-2006, 12:54 PM
The postcard stamps I got the last time were of butterflies, but you could always get custom stamps made. I've though about getting APUG stamps before, but I never seem to have time to do it well, and in the end I've fallen back on the standard stamps...

- Randy

Mick Fagan
12-11-2006, 04:17 PM
Our stamps for overseas, are tax exempt, they are an export item, would you believe. As a result, we cannot use some of the real fancy ones we have internally.

I'm printing mine on the weekend having chosen the negative last night.

Mick.

gr82bart
12-11-2006, 04:31 PM
Looks like the count of sign ups to date is around 18 which I think is good. A small number.

Regards, Art.

Kevin Caulfield
12-11-2006, 06:58 PM
Our stamps for overseas, are tax exempt, they are an export item, would you believe. As a result, we cannot use some of the real fancy ones we have internally.

I'm printing mine on the weekend having chosen the negative last night.

Mick.

Are you sure about that, Mick? As far as I know, you are allowed to use any Australian stamp for overseas postage. I do it all the time.