PDA

View Full Version : Azo like emulsion in several grades

Pages : 1 [2]

Photo Engineer
12-07-2006, 07:30 PM
My rank ordering puts baryta and watercolor at the top of the 'difficult' list. However, with a 'thin' emulsion and slow application with the right surfactant, the emulsion spreads over the hills and valleys of the textured surface papers just fine, but not always. There are a fair number of failures.

Baryta has problems due to its hard surface after the calendaring process.

PE

juan
12-08-2006, 07:12 AM
Juan, you would have to get the opinion of some experts in Azo. I doubt it though as I cannot get the Azo paper support.

PE
The thoughts expressed at Michael and Paula's site was that the 3-D effect in Azo came from a combination of the emulsion and development in amidol. Supposedly, the emulsion developed from the bottom up. I'm not sure if this is correct or not - nor do I know, if this theory is correct, whether the development is due to the emulsion or the paper support allowing the developer through from the back.

juan

Photo Engineer
12-08-2006, 09:41 AM
The thoughts expressed at Michael and Paula's site was that the 3-D effect in Azo came from a combination of the emulsion and development in amidol. Supposedly, the emulsion developed from the bottom up. I'm not sure if this is correct or not - nor do I know, if this theory is correct, whether the development is due to the emulsion or the paper support allowing the developer through from the back.

juan

Juan;

I find it difficult to believe that development starts from the bottom up in a diffusion limited process. The emulsion always wets from the top down, even on FB support. Development follows the wetting process, downward.

As for the 3D effect, I wouldn't call it that, but I have seen prints as good as Azo prints on other papers. I think that it depends on the skill of the operator and the care taken.

PE