PDA

View Full Version : Postcard Exchange: Round 9 - Comments and Results

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17

BWKate
02-01-2007, 02:11 AM
Received 5 cards in the mail the other day! Wow that was a good day.

Mark_S: Beautiful inky black shadows and ruined mill from Lowell, MA. Love the subject and the print.

bmccarthy: It's great getting out for a walk because you can find some interesting things to photograph. And yes the shadow of the ironwork does seem animated. Well done!

Black Dog: Your Shell in Window is subtle and very unique. I love the delicate tones.

Randy Ellis: Your 500 year old oak tree is awesome! It must be so huge. Very well done.

Bastiaan: I always look forward to your postcards because they are so one of a kind. Love the image as well as the subtle hand colouring. Your printing is fabulous as usual. Love the fibre!

Thanks everyone!!!

BWKate
02-01-2007, 02:14 AM
Received Mick Fagan's: Mac Mansion today. Great shot Mick. Like the format. It's incredibly sharp. Thanks!

Kevin Caulfield
02-01-2007, 06:33 AM
I must also compliment Mick on his card, which, as a first for me, he literally hand-delivered to me. I even got to see the beast with which he made that shot. :)

Buster6X6
02-01-2007, 12:13 PM
I received three more cards today. As with previous post card exchanges I was thinking this is it no more cards and then three more appeared in my mail box. Great.
reellis67From Washington state garden" Massive live oak" Amazing detail, did you use your Bronica?or LF camera? The print IMO has a great tonality.Well done.
The next one is from Eric Mequilling "School children going to school" I really like this photograph. Image is sharp with just enough panning. And I like your presentation, How did you get black border? Tape?Very well done, me like.
Third one from Hanning/ timeunit "Super heavy" I like this paper and developer combination>WoW.Did you use easel ? or did you use some other method to create this uneven border? The image is almost three dimentional.Nicely done. By the way my sister in law lives in Goteborg for past thirty years, nice place. My wife went there for a visit two years ago.I plan to go when I retire ( for a visit). Seems like work is always interfering with fun stuff.
I hope you are feeling better.
Cheers Greg

eric
02-01-2007, 04:02 PM
The next one is from Eric Mequilling "School children going to school" I really like this photograph. Image is sharp with just enough panning. And I like your presentation, How did you get black border? Tape?Very well done, me like.

Thanks

4 blade easel
Long lens (in this case, a 90mm ektar and 35mm film). I like a lot of room in between paper and lens. I mostly use my hands for burn/dodge.

reellis67
02-01-2007, 06:33 PM
I would like to thank everyone who has sent cards so far, every card that I have recieved so far has been a real treat, and it sounds like the cards I didn't get were just as good! A couple of people have mentioned that they will be late in getting their cards out, and I really appreciate you guys letting us know.

I think that most everyone has either sent their cards or has already let us know that they have sent them just recenly or are running behind for various reasons. For the few others that have not sent your cards yet, I would appreciate a quick note so that everyone knows that your just running behind. I don;t want to rush anyone, but rather just want to check up and see how you are doing.

Again, thanks to all for participating - this has been a very rewarding round!

- Randy

eric
02-02-2007, 01:16 PM
Got a 'roid xfer yesterday in the mail from Art. Nice. That's a lot of work! One roid, one sheet of paper. 20 people or so, that's more than $30 USD. And that paper, nice!

reellis67
02-02-2007, 01:57 PM
Art always does impressive work with those transfers. I'm lucky enough to have a few from previous exchanges.

- Randy

HowardDvorin
02-02-2007, 03:43 PM
I received a beautiful card from Justin Low, today.

HowardDvorin

Mick Fagan
02-02-2007, 09:29 PM
This is the best round I have participated in, the quality and breadth of subjects is fantastic. It also appears that virtually all participants are actually getting their prints out on or near the time limit. Everyone always have things changing in their lives which can make sending out a set of cards to within a certain time frame, a bit hard.

I'll be posting a more in depth reply at a later date, on the cards.

I do though have one question of Kevin Caulfield, regarding his card.

One it's really, really good.

Two what speed did you rate the film at.

Three what was your developing dilution (if any) and what was the developing time.

The reason I ask is that I'm probably going to use that film for a near identical subject in the future and I can mix up FX-37 from chemicals in my darkroom.

I got the recipe from the APUG archives, great repository.

FX-37 is supposed to be the closest published developer to FX-39, according to the APUG archive.

Hope the baby has arrived safely.

Mick.

Kevin Caulfield
02-02-2007, 10:34 PM
I must apologise that there are several I would have received, but haven't got to my PO box for quite some days.

Many thanks, Mick. The film was Ilford Delta 3200, rated at 3200, developed in FX39 at 1:5 (their recommendation, as opposed to their usual 1:9) for 9 minutes at 20 C, all as per Paterson recommendations.

This was from A Day On The Green in the Yarra Valley, and I was right up front, using my Olympus IS300, probably at about 150mm for that shot.

The baby has still not arrived, and is now a couple of days overdue.

Thanks again.

kraker
02-03-2007, 06:04 AM
Quick update, postcards received since my last post:
Jake (blackdog): good to see some snow this winter, even if it's not outside. Nice to see a photo from a fellow Mamiya C3xx user.
Randy: Great picture, amazing subject, the massive live oak.
Brian McCarthy: lock and gate, nice textures and shapes indeed.
Mick Fagan: Nice details, nice tones. The print has arrived "a bit" mangled, maybe that's due to the long trip. It almost looks as if some of the resin coating came off...? Anyway, nice print!
timeUnit: A great picture, very nice toning, and very nice paper. And I immediately noticed the guy looking, funny to read your story on the back. Jättebra, tack så mycket!
Art: that is certainly something special! I'm a polaroid-newbie, how does this "transfer" work? Very nice, totally different from all others I received. Haha, our cat was licking the card a few days back. Any bad chemicals in there? I guess not, she still walks around happily. Maybe she gets high on it... :p

That's all for now. Haven't read much comments on my photos yet, I'd be interested in any feedback, good or bad.

gr82bart
02-03-2007, 07:04 AM
Art: that is certainly something special! I'm a polaroid-newbie, how does this "transfer" work? Very nice, totally different from all others I received.Thanks for the kind words. Basically you need to use a DayLab (http://www.daylab.com/) system to make an image from your slide onto Polaroid film. Then before the film has a chance to develop, you break open the pod and 'transfer' the image onto paper that has been primed in warm water. That's it! The Polaroid Transfer process (http://www.polaroid.com/global/printer_friendly.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524441 759987&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=282574488338439&bmUID=1170504711061&bmLocale=en_US) is pretty simple.

Haha, our cat was licking the card a few days back. Any bad chemicals in there? I guess not, she still walks around happily. Maybe she gets high on it... :pWell, I'm glad your cat liked it too!

Regards, Art.

kraker
02-03-2007, 12:02 PM
Thanks for the kind words. Basically you need to use a DayLab (http://www.daylab.com/) system to make an image from your slide onto Polaroid film. Then before the film has a chance to develop, you break open the pod and 'transfer' the image onto paper that has been primed in warm water. That's it! The Polaroid Transfer process (http://www.polaroid.com/global/printer_friendly.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524441 759987&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=282574488338439&bmUID=1170504711061&bmLocale=en_US) is pretty simple.

Thanks for the information. Polaroid would be a whole new (some would say: old) world to explore. Maybe I will, someday... ;)

Well, I'm glad your cat liked it too!

Your postcard is much appreciated at our home. (must be the rough surface...)

Now excuse me while I rescue your print from the cat's tongue :D

Justin Low
02-03-2007, 07:17 PM
I received a beautiful card from Justin Low, today.

HowardDvorin

Glad you like it! I'm sorry I didn't have the time to write on the back of each card; perhaps the next round. :)

eric
02-03-2007, 08:13 PM
Got one the other day from HowardDvorin. Nice sample of some texture.

Kevin Caulfield
02-04-2007, 12:11 AM
Many thanks, Mick. The film was Ilford Delta 3200, rated at 3200, developed in FX39 at 1:5 (their recommendation, as opposed to their usual 1:9) for 9 minutes at 20 C, all as per Paterson recommendations.

Ooops!!! Sorry, Mick. That was 11 minutes at 20C. The resaon I got that mixed up was that I recently processed another film at 22 C for 9 minutes.

reellis67
02-04-2007, 04:33 PM
Amazing detail, did you use your Bronica?or LF camera? The print IMO has a great tonality.Well done.

Thanks! It was taken with an M645 1000s, my primary medium format camera (I can't remember which lens though...) and printed with Ansco 130.

- Randy

HowardDvorin
02-04-2007, 05:13 PM
Hello,
I received a card form Henning,today. A very nice shot of a market place.

HowardDvorin

ingobohn
02-05-2007, 05:14 AM
Sorry, sorry, sorry... Had not much time the last days to post whenever a new card has hit my mailbox. :-(
Two out of all theses cards were extraordinary: one cyano type print and a pola transfer print. Wow - great!!!