PDA

View Full Version : Postcard Exchange: Round 9 - Comments and Results

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17

ingobohn
02-09-2007, 08:15 AM
Up to now I got 23 postcards. More than I expected. ;-)

Tom Kershaw
02-09-2007, 11:06 AM
I thought I should offer an update on cards. If your card isn't mentioned it doesn't mean I haven't received it, just that either I recall already making a comment about it, or it isn't in the pile sitting next to this keyboard.

Timothy (not sure about surname)- Very nice coffee toned cyanotype. Survived completely in the post. The composition seems to allude to that continental divide.

Jake (Black Dog) - Interesting subject. Is that snow in the top left corner?

James (blackmelas) - Thanks for the great card. Those trees look almost post-apocalyptic. The fibre base postcard with in-depth text is very enjoyable. Thanks for the personal comment as well.

Mark_S - So it isn't just England that has industrial heritage.

Matt King - your card reminds me of some places around here. Unfortunately , the card seems to have acquired some pinkish marks. How did you print directly on the back?

Brian McCarthy, - I enjoy this type of shot, focusing on details. Good light.

Simulatordan - The cooltones work very well for this image. The reflection of the boat in the water is great, the symmetry together with the sweeping lines of the rope combine to give a dramatic impression.

Eric Maquiling - Obviously taking road safety seriously. A decisive moment perhaps? Just looked at the other photos on your site, an interesting trip. Do you have family there?

Art - Never seen a polaroid transfer image before, but it works well in this instance. Do you have a web link to the process?

Randy - A huge tree. Incredibly dense vegetation.

HowardDvorin - Nice textures in the wood there, looks weather beaten.

Keven Caulfield - Great picture, sun glasses indoors. Did his ear piece fall out?

Tom.

MattKing
02-09-2007, 12:55 PM
Tom:

Thanks for your comments.

The pinkish marks may be the bar coding that Canada Post uses for a lot of its mail sorting.

I don't actually print directly on the back. I print on to adhesive labels that are larger than the photographs, and then trim.

I first make up a computer file that is formatted so as to put two sets of name and address and description information per 8.5" x 11" page, then I print that file on to some 8.5" x 11" Avery adhesive labels.

I then print two cards on each 8" x 10" sheet of photographic paper, and place each 8x10 onto an 8.5" x 11" adhesive label (approximately in the centre).

Finally, I trim the resulting composite using a paper cutter, by cutting to the edge of the image area (and keeping in mind the maximum size permitted by Canada Post, which is close to 5" x 7").

Matt

gr82bart
02-09-2007, 03:21 PM
Art - Never seen a polaroid transfer image before, but it works well in this instance. Do you have a web link to the process?http://www.polaroid.com/global/printer_friendly.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524441 759987&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=282574488338439&bmUID=1171056592879

Regards, Art.

Black Dog
02-09-2007, 04:34 PM
[QUOTE=Tom Kershaw;429260]I thought I should offer an update on cards. If your card isn't mentioned it doesn't mean I haven't received it, just that either I recall already making a comment about it, or it isn't in the pile sitting next to this keyboard.

Jake (Black Dog) - Interesting subject. Is that snow in the top left corner?

Tom-the Cairngorms are in the top left corner, and yes, there was some serious snow on them. Anyway I got some pics I'm really pleased with on this walk and I'll probably use some in a future exchange.

Pete H
02-10-2007, 02:31 AM
I have received 20 cards. The most recent is Kevin Caulfield's Pretenders, neatly caught in what looks like a moment of intimacy :)

Buster6X6
02-10-2007, 11:43 AM
One more post card came in yesterday" Old barn door" by Howard Dvorin.Thank you very much. I found Delta 100 just recently an I am impressed. The post card shows great tonal range and detail. Rodinal is my second choice developer.;)

Cheers Greg

timeUnit
02-10-2007, 04:55 PM
I've received 22 cards to date from these photographers:

Pete H
Ingo
Brian Jeffery (JeffB)
Bastiaan
Art (gr82bart)
Mark Fisher
Mick Fagan
BWKate
James (Blackmelas)
Jake (Black Dog)
Tim Trapp
HowardDvorin
Mark_S
Daniel (Simulatordan)
PepMiro
MattKing
Greg (Buster 6X6)
Rüdiger Stobbe (rst)
Kevin Caulfield
Tom Kershaw
Brian McCarthy
Randy Ellis

A BIG thank you to all of you!

HowardDvorin
02-12-2007, 04:26 PM
Hello,
I received a card form Kevin Caulfield, today.. I can hear the music.
HowardDvorin

BWKate
02-12-2007, 06:09 PM
Received Kevin Caulfield's: awesome shot of the Pretenders. Love the image and their music. Kevin, you were so lucky to see them live!
Also received Justin Low's: very dark image of a cathedral at night. Very interesting. Where was that taken?

kraker
02-13-2007, 01:20 AM
I've received 22 cards to date from these photographers:

(...)

A BIG thank you to all of you!

Henning, can you please check the stack of cards again, carefully? I did send you a postcard somewhere around half January; yet, I was not mentioned as one of the 22. If you still haven't received my card, I guess it's time to send it again. So, let me know!

timeUnit
02-13-2007, 07:17 AM
Kraker,

I will check! It might be a while before I have the chance, it's a busy week...

Black Dog
02-13-2007, 04:42 PM
The latest arrivals are........

Saluhallen by Henning-nicely observed and love the paper too. I'm going to be trying this out now Forte is RIP.The ultrawide lens has really enhanced the graphic patterns which contrast well with the people in the foreground.

Old Barn Door by Howard -I love abstract closeups like this.The bolts and the knothole remind me of eyes and the lighting has really brought out the textures. The Tamron 90mm is one of the best lenses around IMO{I note the late great Barry Thornton was also a fan}.

Interior by Justin Low-Very moody and with a real air of mystery about it which is enhanced by not knowing anything about the subject or location.

Pretenders by Kevin Caulfield-love the poses and the guy wearing shades indoors-always the sign of a real artiste LOL.The stagelights in the top corners also nicely fill up what would otherwise be large areas of dead black. Has Caulfield junior arrived yet BTW?

It's been a great round and I'm already looking forward to the next one!:)

Kevin Caulfield
02-13-2007, 06:35 PM
Pretenders by Kevin Caulfield-love the poses and the guy wearing shades indoors-always the sign of a real artiste LOL.The stagelights in the top corners also nicely fill up what would otherwise be large areas of dead black. Has Caulfield junior arrived yet BTW?

It's been a great round and I'm already looking forward to the next one!:)

Thanks - I was really happy with the way the lights fill up that space.

Yes, he arrived on Wednesday last week. Sorry I still haven't checked my mail for a long time now, so there will be many great postcards to check out when I finally get to it.

kraker
02-14-2007, 01:21 AM
I Actually already received these last week, but I'm posting the update now:

Howard, Old Barn Door: very nice textures, I like this one. The more I look at it, the more I see.

Kevin Caulfield, Pretenders: Wow, very nice! Really caught the right moment.

The flow of postcards is slowing down. Reflecting on "my first postcard exchange", I must say: I really enjoy it, and I plan to participate in future rounds for sure! :)

timeUnit
02-14-2007, 05:17 PM
Kraker,

I double checked just now, and I haven't received your card I'm afraid. If you want to send a new card I'd be delighted, but please don't feel pressured to do so.

Thanks,
H

Buster6X6
02-14-2007, 06:53 PM
I could not believe it I looked at my mail today and there was another card WoW.Thank you Kevin Caufield for very nice image of band "Pretenders" This image was done with existing light, No? It is amazingly sharp. Great job capturing the moment .

Cheers Greg

Kevin Caulfield
02-14-2007, 10:19 PM
Thanks, Greg. Yes, it was existing light. Anyway, even though I was in the front row, as this was a festival, I was still at least 15 or 20 feet from the edge of the stage, so flash wouldn't have helped much anyway. I've wanted to shoot the Pretenders for a long, long time, so I was happy to get the chance to get my SLR to a show.

kraker
02-15-2007, 01:49 AM
Kraker,

I double checked just now, and I haven't received your card I'm afraid. If you want to send a new card I'd be delighted, but please don't feel pressured to do so.

Thanks,
H

Hej,

I printed a few "spare" cards, so it's no problem to send it again. I'll post it within the next few days!

Pete H
02-15-2007, 03:24 AM
Yesterday a beautifully composed blue-toned card arrived from Bob :)

I've also enjoyed this exchange (my first) and I look forward to future rounds.