PDA

View Full Version : Postcard Exchange: Round 9 - Comments and Results

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

Buster6X6
01-09-2007, 12:11 PM
Ingo
You are on my list so in 7-10 days you should be getting my card.

Herzliche Grusse von Canada - Greg

reellis67
01-09-2007, 12:55 PM
Art, there is no need to apologize for stating your feelings. I made an assumption that turned out to based on less than all the facts and there is no reason to feel that you shouldn't say how you feel about it.

The same goes for anyone else who feels that this didn't work out the way it should have - if you are upset about this, I want to hear about it. Send me a PM, or an email, or something, and I will do whatever I can rectify the situation. The last thing I want is for people to become disenfranchised with the Exchange because of my blunder and drop out.

The main thing that I would like to establish is that everyone feels that they can speak their mind about both problems and suggestions, and that everyone understands that I will do what ever I can to make sure the Postcard Exchange remains something that people enjoy and feel good about participating in.

Ruediger (rst) has generously offered a program that will match up names and ensure that everyone who chooses to participate will be treated equitably in the next round, so this problem, and a few other things that were pointed out to me off-list, will not occur in future exchanges.

Lastly, my own cards are printed and will be hitting the mail over the next few days, so depending on where you live, you should start seeing them arrive soon...

- Randy

Buster6X6
01-09-2007, 02:48 PM
One more card came in today. Very nice diagonal composition.Thank you very much Ingo. Keep them coming.

Cheers Greg

kraker
01-09-2007, 03:13 PM
Whoa, just offline for a few hours, and now I see I have caused quite a discussion... :o

Hey, you are on my list, why am I not on your list? :confused:

I share your confusion, and I didn't expect to receive cards from anybody but the people to whom I sent one... I don't (well... didn't) expect to get more than 10 cards in return for the 10 I sent, and I certainly didn't decide on the 10 with "hitting the bonanza" in mind (as gr82bart calls it), I want to be clear on that.

That being said... I *do* have a few spare prints, so if the 10 from my list all receive their print, I can send a *few* more...

kraker
01-09-2007, 03:24 PM
My cards (31) sent out this afternoon. From my POV it seems reasonable to expect 31 cards in return, otherwise others are benefiting (i.e. receiving cards) when they haven't put the effort into sending the full set.

With all respect, that last remark seems like an unfortunate choice of words. Speaking for myself, I chose to print only 10, this being my first participation in the postcard exchange. It's not a matter of "not putting the effort into sending the full set". Printing and sending 10 cards is *my* effort *this time*, just to try things out and see if I like this exchange, see how much time it costs, just get that feeling. Other will have their own perfectly valid reasons for printing less than the 31 prints. Money could be an issue, or whatever. That doesn't mean these people don't "put an effort" into this exchange.

Then again, to be clear: I share your point of view. Send 31, receive 31; send 10, receive 10.

PepMiro
01-09-2007, 04:40 PM
PepMiro:

Where is Andorra? I think it's between Spain and France close to the Pyrennees? Is it a country? Forgive my ignorance but I can't wait to send you a postcard and I wonder how long it will take.

Andorra is a little country (about 65.000 unhabitants) placed in the middle of the Pyrenees range, between Spain and France.

It has less than 500 km2 of extension, the official language is Catalan and currency is Euro.

It's one of the oldest independent states and democracies of the world: 13th century.

The economy of Andorra is based mainly on the tourism. About 10 milion tourists visit the country every year.

This is my first postcard exchange and I'm also intrigued about how much time will my postcards need to arrive all over the world.

Best,
Josep

simulatordan
01-09-2007, 04:45 PM
Hello All,

It is a pity when what is intended to be an exchange of postcards becomes a discussion about why he has more than me. I take part because I would like others to see images which are of value to me. Comments and encouragement/advice is welcomed.

I chose to print 31 cards, If I only get 20 back then that is 20 more than if I had not taken part.

The contact with you lot, where ever you come from, is important to me in a society which is becoming increasingly egocentric.

Let's have fun and enjoy the game.

By the way mine are all printed, I'm hand writing the details and expect to have them in the post by Saturday.

Regards Daniel

Tom Kershaw
01-09-2007, 06:26 PM
Kraker,

Perhaps my statement was a bit strong. Mostly, I think it's important for people to know roughly what to expect from participating.

Hope you enjoy my card,

Tom.

TimVermont
01-09-2007, 08:18 PM
Time constraints allow me to do this once a year or so, and the poverty of my handwriting forces me to use labels.

I’m grateful to Randy for organizing this. I’m happy to read that my cards are arriving and being enjoyed. Ruediger’s matching program sounds like the solution for future rounds.

I look forward to something besides bills in my mail box for the next several weeks.

For those who can't print for the full round, may I suggest putting a scan of your card into the gallery so that even those who don't get one can enjoy it?

Tim

kraker
01-10-2007, 01:34 AM
Kraker,

Perhaps my statement was a bit strong. Mostly, I think it's important for people to know roughly what to expect from participating.

Hope you enjoy my card,

Tom.

Not to worry, Tom, I guess that goes for my reaction too (it being a bit strong, that is). Should have slept on it first. Anyway, I think the bottom line is that we all(?) agree here: no harm done for this round, but next rounds, clarify beforehand what people can expect. The general preference being: send "n" cards, expect to receive "n" cards.

I'm still enjoying this very much, I hope you all are.

Mick Fagan
01-10-2007, 01:48 AM
Well, all of mine went out today.

I found this list to be very interesting, more so than others I have participated in. The USA and Australia were down, whilst the rest of the world was up.

This round has more countries represented, it will be interesting to see the next round.

Mick.

rst
01-10-2007, 03:25 AM
OK, mine are on their way now. And I also received two more cards today.

Thanks to Ingo, Chrins Pandino, Pete from Norway and Brian Jeffery. I like them all.

Hehe, and then there was one more card in the mailbox today, from Janet and I think this is a card from round 8. A stunning image captured with a pinhole camera - great.

And I am sorry about the discussion I caused, sorry, I was just confused about the lists, no more. I send my cards and no matter how many cards I receive, this is fun. Of course, receiving cards is also fun ;)

Regards
-- Ruediger

reellis67
01-10-2007, 08:59 AM
Just real quick I would like to say that the blame for this misunderstanding rests solely on me - I had good intentions, and thought that I understood the previous system, but I made a poor judgment call, so please direct any frustration my way. No one should feel bad in any way about how they feel concerning the organization of this round, or place blame on anyone but me for how it played out. Nor should anyone feel bad about posting a question about the way the addresses were distributed.

In all future rounds I will use Ruediger's program to ensure that everyone is even on the send and receive numbers, and later today I will be updating the details of the Exchange in the locked post that Nige made a while ago so that there is something concrete that everyone can easily locate with all the details.

That said, I have gotten a couple of really nice looking cards so far, and hope to have time to get the mail (I've a rural post mailbox) sometime today and find a few more. As someone already said, it's really nice to find something other than a bill in there!

- Randy

BWKate
01-10-2007, 10:13 AM
Recieved a very interesting postcard from Ingo. Like the abtract pattern of the stairs. Thanks.

ingobohn
01-10-2007, 11:48 AM
Great - I got the first two cards! :)

1) Pete H.:
I love that pic! It reminds me of some good times I had years ago when I was working several times for some weeks for a company near Oslo (Hagan). One damned ;) cold December Sunday morning I visited the first (but not the last) time Akershus Festning near Aker Brygge. Although it was crowded there some times (especially at the weekends) it was a sort of peacuful location.
I like the rays of light breaking through.
Well, well, well, walking down the memory lane...

2) Brian Jeffery:
The little girl is definitvely the eye catcher on your photo! And gives a contrast to the cold an monumental mill engine.
By the way, I didn't know so far that Ilford's postcard paper is also available in pearl!?

Brian Jeffery
01-10-2007, 12:32 PM

The little girl is definitvely the eye catcher on your photo! And gives a contrast to the cold an monumental mill engine.
By the way, I didn't know so far that Ilford's postcard paper is also available in pearl!?

thanks for the nice comments ingobohn.

I had set my camera up on a tripod and was waiting for people to walk into the shot and I couldn't believe my luck when the little girl wandered along and just stood there.

As to the pearl finish. Well, I don't normally purchase this particular finish, but I was running low on postcards so popped down to my local Jessops and was pleasantly surprised to see they had a pack. So pleased in fact I didn't notice that it was pre Harmon Technology stock (slightly different packaging) or that it was pearl. However, not to worry as the paper seems fine and I quite like the finish. Looking at the Silverprint (http://www.silverprint.co.uk/index.html) web site it appears that pearl postcards are still available.

Brian

MattKing
01-10-2007, 02:34 PM
My 24 postcards are now in the gentle, caring hands of Canada Post!!

I didn't use the Ilford Postcard stock - I made my own, and took advantage of the fact that Canada Post has a very generous definition for what constitutes a postcard - hope the larger size doesn't create a problem for anyone.

I too have received two very nice cards - one from Ingo, the other from Tim Trapp. My wife's all keen about this too - I see a postcard album in the works.

This is fun.

Matt

kraker
01-10-2007, 03:10 PM

1) Pete H.:
I love that pic! It reminds me of some good times I had years ago when I was working several times for some weeks for a company near Oslo (Hagan). One damned ;) cold December Sunday morning I visited the first (but not the last) time Akershus Festning near Aker Brygge. Although it was crowded there some times (especially at the weekends) it was a sort of peacuful location.
I like the rays of light breaking through.
Well, well, well, walking down the memory lane...

2) Brian Jeffery:

Today I received exactly those same cards. Both very nice images indeed.

I was going to ask where in Norway the picture was taken, but I guess that's already answered by Ingo :) (Although it doesn't ring a bell, really). Scandinavia in general is my favourite holiday target, but Oslo is ...16 years ago. Seeing this picture makes me want to go there. Great lighting, nice long shadows, it's a beauty.

As for Brians postcard: the little girl, just enough movement in the machinery and the serene, quiet atmosphere in the rest of the frame adds up to a great composition.

Thank you both!

CPorter
01-10-2007, 05:55 PM
Got a nice postcard from Tim Trapp in Vermont, interesting perspective on the headlight, thanks for sending it. My list contains 12 but it has my name on it too, so 11 will go out probably this coming weekend or sometime next week.

This is my first time so I wanted to do a limited number to see how it goes and I'm looking forward to it. I have to use 5x7 Ilford paper but I intend to trim down to 4x6 so there will be no white border on my cards. I have six printed so far but ran out of paper. I may have to cut an 11x14 sheet to several 5x7's to finish the remaining 5 cards. Not sure what information people are interested in knowing so I'll try to include the stuff any Apuger would like to know.

Chuck

Tom Kershaw
01-10-2007, 06:38 PM
On Tuesday morning received cards from:

Tim Trapp (complete with label over part of image)

Brian Jeffry (I wonder what she is thinking about?)

Chris Pandino (Good use of selective focus)