PDA

View Full Version : Postcard Exchange: Round 9 - Comments and Results

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

BWKate
01-15-2007, 05:56 PM
I keep each round in it's own separate box. Some people have made some interesting displays. Take a look at the postcard threads. There was a post and a photo of how someone (I forget who, maybe Art remembers) displayed their postcards and it looked very spiffy! Maybe later I'll look for the post.

Kevin Caulfield
01-15-2007, 06:17 PM
I'm impressed by the number of people who have already posted cards. I haven't checked my mail box for a few days, so I'm looking forward to it. Yesterday I finally had not so much a brainwave, as it was pretty obvious, about what to shoot for this round. It's a subject I've wanted to shoot for nearly 26 years. In 2003 I shot this subject for the first time, in Phoenix, but not very successfully. It's a subject I'm extremely familiar with. In 2004 I very nearly had the opportunity to shoot this subject away from its natural environment. So, on Saturday I'll be trying again. Then hopefully next week I'll get the results I want in the darkroom. ;)

Buster6X6
01-15-2007, 09:10 PM
I have another question. I would like to display these cards. Can anyone make any suggestions?
Hi Howard
What I have done is I bought a over size ring folder for which you can buy Clear plastic 4X6 inserts(4 x pro page). So now when I am showing them you can see front as well as back of the print.
Thanks guys for favorable comments on my entry.
Today I received two more prints Thanks to Chris Pendino from round #8 Very nice corner post and fishing boat hull from Tim Kershaw both prints are border less maybe I should try it next time, good detail and tonality.

Cheers Greg

BWKate
01-16-2007, 01:25 AM
I have another question. I would like to display these cards. Can anyone make any suggestions?

Howard,

I found the thread that has a couple of photos of how their postcard collections are displayed. Go to the thread labelled Postcard Exchange Round #6 and then go to Page 4. Nige had a very cool attachment of his display and David Goldfarb also had a photo in the thread of how he displays his cards.

Tom Kershaw
01-16-2007, 05:06 AM
Tim Kershaw

Cheers Greg

Tom Kershaw

simulatordan
01-16-2007, 07:48 AM
Hello All,

The last of mine went into the post today.

Regards Daniel

timeUnit
01-16-2007, 08:51 AM
I just want to mention that I will send cards to everyone on the list, but will do this late in the month. Things have been busy in many ways.

Thanks for your patience.

kraker
01-16-2007, 01:56 PM
Four more cards received the last few days.
Rüdiger, amazing detail in the structure of the cathedral, and very nice shadows.
Greg: I'm sure you could print 100 or 1000 of those and sell them as real postcards to a store. The sign, the two guys looking away, the look on their faces: it all fits. Brought a smile to my face, thanks.
Mark Fisher: well, the picture from Greg already put a smile on my face, but seeing yours, my smile only got bigger :D Such a happy photo. The big, happy, shiny (nice reflections) bee's face, and the "peace sign" fingers just next to it, brilliant. Really, this makes me think... Sure, I have walked around on some fairs with the camera, but I guess I would have completely "overlooked" such an opportunity. Glad to see you didn't miss it.
PepMiro: great view, great composition. These are the shots I can never take if I just stay in the Netherlands (flat, flat, flat). Looks like a quite wide-angle lens, looking at the typical "distortion" of the left pole. I like it.

That's my update for now. Just wondering, by the way... I've posted my cards about a week ago, if I remember well... did anybody receive one yet? (Or should I start to worry?:rolleyes: )

Buster6X6
01-16-2007, 02:38 PM
Sorry TomIt was a typo. Thanks for pointing it out to me.:(

Two more cards came today. Thanks to Mark Fisher and Busy Bee as already mentioned the "V" sign steels the show very nice.
Matt King with a oversize print of a Fraser River mouth very nice stain color. And I guess a wheel on a postal machine made a scratch just above the four polls, my wife looked at the print and said is that a "UFO"?:p It sort of looks like UFO.

Very nice showing so far, great exchange, great photographs.

Greg

Brian Jeffery
01-16-2007, 02:49 PM
Wow,

I got home last night after a long weekend away and I was pleasantly surprised by a pile of postcards on my door mat. I've now got twelve in total. Thanks everyone.

I've received cards from the following people (in no particular order): Mark Fisher, Mick Fagan, Greg (Buster 6X6), Joseph (PepMito), Matt King, Chris Pandino, Pete H, Ruediger, Jacco de Kraker (kraker), Tom Kershaw, Ingo and Tim Trapp. Too many I'm afraid to pass comment on in one post but I like them all, thanks. I have a couple of questions though:

Greg,

you took this shot using Ilford Pan 400. The Pan range of films are not widely available in the UK (understatement). What do you make Pan 400? How does it compare to HP5 Plus for example? The reason I ask is I noticed that this and it's lower speed relation were the only B&W films available in Hungary?

Mick,

stunning resolution in this shot. I'd be interested in knowing what equipment you used to take it? Did you use a tripod?

oh and Ingo you might like to know that your labels only just survived the trip. They are definately in danger of comming off completely.

Good shots everyone :)

Thanks for the nice comments,

Brian

PepMiro
01-16-2007, 04:14 PM
PepMiro: great view, great composition. These are the shots I can never take if I just stay in the Netherlands (flat, flat, flat). Looks like a quite wide-angle lens, looking at the typical "distortion" of the left pole. I like it.

Yes... it's a quite wide angle: 58mm Super Angulon XL with a 4x5 negative.
Thanks for your comments,
Josep

BWKate
01-16-2007, 05:08 PM
Received 3 postcards today!

PeteH:Beautiful shadows on the pathway. Gorgeous! Where was it taken, a park somewhere?

Mark Fisher: Hilarious photo of a busy bee ride! Made me laugh out loud! Laughed again when I saw the peace sign!

rst: Incredible range of tones in the speyer dom shot. Just awesome!

Thanks!

CPorter
01-16-2007, 07:27 PM
Came home to six new cards today from the following:

Tom Kershaw's Boat Hull, Mick Fagan's summer solstice; Pep Miro's Cassamanya's Peak; Buster6x6's Customers Needed; Rudiger Stobbe's cathedral; and, Pete H's Akershus Festning.

Thank you all for sending them---they are a joy to look at and I like them all. My wife and I are trying to come up with a way to display these; she thought that placing them in a large "French Style" photo display(s) and devoting some wall space for them might do. It's so nice to see some photos from APUGERs that are not on a computer monitor. Thanks.

I'll just comment on Rudiger's cathedral shot because it looks really nice, giving it being a handheld shot at 1/15th and great tones to boot.

Chuck

Tom Kershaw
01-16-2007, 07:40 PM
Good to see my cards have arrived across the pond. Greg, I wasn't cross. Received your card yesterday (if I remember correctly), fantastic. What business were / are they in?

Tom.

CPorter
01-16-2007, 08:06 PM
I forgot to mention that I got all my cards in the mail today.

Chuck

Buster6X6
01-16-2007, 08:30 PM
Hi Tom
For street photography it was the right moment. Already next minute they have turn there heads around and it would not have been a picture worth taking. I do not know if they new I took those pictures because it was a lot of photographers around. Also I don't remember what kind of business there were in. It was a wonderful outing, and Les was so easy to talk to. Great teacher.

Thanks for the comment Greg

Buster6X6
01-16-2007, 08:41 PM
Wow,

Greg,

you took this shot using Ilford Pan 400. The Pan range of films are not widely available in the UK (understatement). What do you make Pan 400? How does it compare to HP5 Plus for example? The reason I ask is I noticed that this and it's lower speed relation were the only B&W films available in Hungary?

Brian

Hi Brian

I have not used my 35mm camera in over two years. Thinking for street photography I would need faster shutter speed and if overcast 400 speed film. So I reached into my freezer and grabbed a film that has long expired.
This is the only time I used this film so no experience at all. I would say looking at the negatives I wish I had HP-5. Maybe the Pan 400 would work better with some other developer?

Cheers Greg

Pete H
01-17-2007, 03:39 AM
Received 3 postcards today!

PeteH:Beautiful shadows on the pathway. Gorgeous! Where was it taken, a park somewhere?

Thanks Kate. It was taken in the grounds of the castle in Oslo (festning is Norwegian for fortress). There has been a castle there since around 1300, with numerous additions and modifications over the centuries, so it's full of historical associations and in fact the military still use some of the buildings. Josep (Pep Miro) commented on the "calm sensation". I agree - it is a very peaceful atmosphere there, but it's been through some very un-peaceful episodes in the past.

simulatordan
01-17-2007, 07:26 AM
Hello All,

Four more cards have arrived.

Mark Fisher: Busy Bee ride. So! Felix is alive and living in Walworth County? A real blast from the past. Great fun, and well presented.

Tim Trapp: Rusty Truck. Another close encounter which made me search for understanding. I like this kind of shot: and this is a good one.

Buster6X6: Talk about 'seize the momment'. Teriffic shot, made by the close proximity of the sign. Good tones too.

Mick Fagan: Dramatic shot, full of textures. Interesting chose of filter too.

Thanks to all keep them coming.

Regards Daniel

Pete H
01-17-2007, 04:42 PM
Mark Fisher's card arrived today. What a fun shot! The reflection in the nose adds to it. :)