PDA

View Full Version : Postcard Exchange: Round 9 - Comments and Results

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

Buster6X6
01-17-2007, 08:01 PM
Thanks Rudiger Your card arrived today. I really like the tonal values of the print and the coulomb detail on the left side of the print especially taken at 1/15 of a second . Well done. I never used Spur SLD or Separol NE it looks a good combination.

Gruss Greg

reellis67
01-17-2007, 09:25 PM
I have another question. I would like to display these cards. Can anyone make any suggestions?

In a previous round somone mentioned that they got a postcard display rack from a store closing and put all the APUG postcards in it in for visitors to browse through. I've wanted to do this too, but I can't seem to find one that is not way over priced. I would make one, but my total free time right now is somewhere in the negative numbers...

- Randy

MattKing
01-17-2007, 10:38 PM
Received a whole bunch of new cards in the last couple of days:

Tom Kershaw: nice almost abstract detail from a Fishing Boat Hull - and the post office decided to get into the act, by adding even more detail:D . Surprisingly, they work together.

Greg - Buster 6x6: a timeless photo - "Customers Needed" could have been taken in almost any year in the last 60 (although the haircuts are probably too short for the 1970s and 1980s).

Mark Fisher: The "Busy Bee ride" photo definitely made me chuckle - although I confess I didn't notice the "V" signal at first. Also, although it seems to be possible, I just can't quite pick up Mark's reflection on that shiny nose!

Pete H.: "Aberhus Festuing" - wonderfully evocative image with nice, meaty shadows and a remarkeable lack of flare given that the image of the sun is right there; and

BWKate: That image of the railing just sings. Who says what hapens (is seen) in Las vegas, stays in Las Vegas:D .

All are great, and are much appreciated.

Matt

BWKate
01-18-2007, 12:30 AM
Received Tom Kershaw: 's postcard of a boat hull. Very nice texture. There was this black loopy pattern to the left of the hook thing (can you tell I'm not a boat person) and I kept looking at it thinking that it was a smudge made by the post office but I think it's in the original! Couldn't figure it out for awhile.

blackmelas
01-18-2007, 02:22 AM
I've been offline for a while but I posted my cards on Jan 15. I'm checking today from an internet cafe without all the cards that I have been receiving but let me say that I wait with anticipation every day for the 11:00 delivery.
Thanks,
James

Salmonoid
01-18-2007, 09:40 AM
My ten postcards are going in the mail today. I coated ten sheets of paper with cyanotype emulsion but ended up getting only 8 good prints. It seems that due to the midwinter sun my exposures ended up being 12 minutes vice 6 in summer. Coffee toning then takes another hour or so. I still was not happy with the exposure on the good prints, but had only so much time and sun to work with:^) I ended up sending two different images that I had previously printed to make the full ten. I apologize to the two that didn't get the coffee toned cyanotype, and sorry I could make enough prints for everyone.

gr82bart
01-18-2007, 09:57 AM
My ten postcards are going in the mail today. I coated ten sheets of paper with cyanotype emulsion <snip> the coffee toned cyanotype, and sorry I could make enough prints for everyone.Wow, there will be 10 very lucky people. Even if I am not one of them, thanks so much for being so dedicated and generous.

Reefards, Art.

Pete H
01-18-2007, 12:29 PM
Two more cards today:

Simulatordan: I love the geometrical composition. Do you see much difference on the Ilford RC with Cooltone dev versus other neutral/warmtone developers? Just asking because I've found it hard to make much difference.

James (Blackmelas): Wow - the tones! Stunning. It sounds as though you've worked hard to get there, but the end result is tremendous.

I wish I'd been involved in earlier exchanges, with all these great cards coming :)

rst
01-18-2007, 12:55 PM
... I never used Spur SLD or Separol NE it looks a good combination.Yes, Spur SLD gives me more speed for the HP5. Although I like HP5 in Perceptol (my second combination) more, SLD gives nice and sharp results.

Thanks for your comments and your card
-- Ruediger

Tom Kershaw
01-18-2007, 02:18 PM
Received a whole bunch of new cards in the last couple of days:

Tom Kershaw: nice almost abstract detail from a Fishing Boat Hull - and the post office decided to get into the act, by adding even more detail:D . Surprisingly, they work together.

Matt

What details might those be?

Tom.

PepMiro
01-18-2007, 03:11 PM
Today, I've received 3 more cards:

Mark Fisher (Busy Bee Ride): Funny subject, great sharpness and contrast. Really well developed: I like the deep blacks... How did you get it? which paper developer did you use?

Greg Buster 6x6 (Customers needed): I like this photo very much. A great street shot. It really seems that they need customers. Technically, I like the rich tonal scale.

Matt King (Sentinels): WOW! simple but very powerfull composition... and technically, I like the feeling of this RC paper. It seems FB. It's a pity that Kodak left its production. But perhaps, in the technical side, is the nice brown colour of the copper toner what attracts more my attention. Do you know if copper toner allow a similar result with Ilford Multigrade paper? (I think I'm going to try it!

Thanks to all for participating in this great round !!! (my first one)
Josep

HowardDvorin
01-18-2007, 03:50 PM
Hello,

I received a batch today.
Customers needed -Grer-Buster 6x6 great shot
Sentinals

Hi everyone,
I have received several more cards , today. All in great shape and all beautiful

I have printed about half of my cards and I plan to finish printing tonight or tomorrow night. I will begin addressing over the weekend and mail on Monday.

I have shared my excitment with friends and I am printing extras to satisfy thier requests

Thanks everyone for so much FUN

Buster6X6
01-18-2007, 06:12 PM
Two more cards arrived todayPep Miro What those poles represent?You can almost smell fresh air and feel the breeze. Very nice shot.
BWKate Very nice Rhino in Calgary Zoo. What developer did you use print has a great tonal value, from dark blacks to almost white? Was there two Rhino's or one that has his head turned around?

Wonderful round, few more cards to come.

Cheers Greg

BWKate
01-18-2007, 08:18 PM
Thanks Greg,

I used Kodak D-76 for the negative and Agfa MG Developer for the Ilford postcard pearl paper. I believe there were two Rhinos in the frame.

simulatordan
01-19-2007, 06:18 AM
Hello All,

I recieved Pep Miro's card today; interesting subject, shades of Easter Island?
Can you let us know something about the poles: what they signify please.

Regards Daniel

rst
01-19-2007, 06:30 AM
Hi, since I received so many cards now, I will give some summarized feedback about the cards I already received:

Ingo - stairs and pillars - I like this image and I already saw it before the postcards exchange started. The print might be a bit cooler in tone. The contrast is just right so that there is detail in the highlights of the pillar as well as in the deepest shadows of the zigzag shadow line on the stairs.

Tom Kershaw - Fishing Boat hull - An abstract one and a good one with very interesting shapes in the paint of the boat. This is also one, which I would have tried a bit more contrasty, but maybe not to its best. I like the rusty bolts.

MarkFisher - Busy Bee ride - A funny one. Great that this has one more level of image, as there is this picture in the picture.

jeffeb - A girl and a mill engine - It is worth to be patient. An interesting print (thanks to the girl) with some detail in it which makes me curious to see a bigger print of it. Also there is a glow in this image which I like. I bit more contrast might be interesting, but then I doubt that the highlights and shadows will still stand, so: Well done. PanF Plus in Rodinal 1:50 - interesting.

Buster6x6 - Customers needed - Is the the decisive moment? I think so. A timeless great photograph. So sometimes you do not have to be patient but fast. This put a smile on my face.

simulatordan - Along Side - Now this is an interesting one. These reflections on the boat or is this a ship? Anyway, these reflections are somehow strange, well seen.

PepMiro - Cassamanya peak - a nice view from the top of Andorra. Interesting perspective and funny poles. Maybe a bit more contrast? Now the more I look at this Ilford postcard paper the more I doubt that it is the same emulsion than MG IV.

MattKing - Sentinels - Wow, this is a nice one which I may have cropped a bit on the right side. It transports a kind of mood ... I like it, the scene, the print and the toning.

Tim Trapp - Rusty Truck - I like the crop and all the tones in the rust. Maybe slightly more exposure to hold some of the highlights, but not the brightest ones. So this is APX100 in Pyro - I have to examine this a bit.

PeteH - Akershus Festning - Wow, just right, I like these very light tones and the kind of glow in the leaves and how you hold shadow and highlight detail. Very nice. I like it. And Delta100 in Rodinal 1:50 ... I should have tried this before I abandoned my Delta100 trip.

BWKate - stairway in the MGM - What a glow. And another zigzag shadow on stairs. I like it.

MickFagan - Mac Mansion - The first time I have an image taken with a Horizon 202 in hands. nice perspective, great detail and contrast as I like it.

blackmeals - Almond Trees - Well James, I like this one even more than the one you sent for round 8. Definitely a photograph you can walk around in it. There is so much to see. Thanks also for the detailed description, that was an interesting read too.

rst - speyer dom, krypta - Hey you have stolen my image.

Thanks to everyone for sending the cards and I am looking forward to more cards.

So, what I learned from these exchanges is, that I tend to print more contrasty than many others. This is just a matter of personal taste, but sometimes it would be really interesting to see others interpretations of my own negative. Was there something like a traveling negative yet? I have to find out.

Regards
-- Ruediger

reellis67
01-19-2007, 07:16 AM
Pep Miro What those poles represent?You can almost smell fresh air and feel the breeze. Very nice shot.

Agreed! I'd like to know more about the poles as well..

- Radny

BWKate
01-19-2007, 10:26 AM
I'm with you on the contrast, Ruediger, I like a fair bit of it.

Brian Jeffery
01-19-2007, 10:36 AM
jeffeb - A girl and a mill engine - It is worth to be patient. An interesting print (thanks to the girl) with some detail in it which makes me curious to see a bigger print of it. Also there is a glow in this image which I like. I bit more contrast might be interesting, but then I doubt that the highlights and shadows will still stand, so: Well done. PanF Plus in Rodinal 1:50 - interesting.

Hi Rudiger,

there's actually quite a tale to tell about this print. This was may first or second roll of Pan F developed with Rodinal and I processed it following the times recommended by Ilford. Unfortunately, this resulted in an overdeveloped film with most of the highlights completely blown. However, it does have the benefit of providing more contrast for dark reasonably flat lighting of the museum interior. In order to get back a lot of the highlight information I've had to pre-flash all the postcards with my newly acquired paper flasher :) Without this, the general mood of the shot was even darker as I had to print the entire print just that bit darker. I have tried printing at a higher contrast, but you are right you just lose all shadow detail. My original print was on glossy paper, which definitely has more bite to it than the pearl finish. Unfortunately for this print I only had pearl paper left.

I'd be quite interested in hearing how other people deal with interior shots. It seems to me to be a trade off between an acceptable level of contrast and losing any sort or detail in from any outside/interior light sources.

Unfortunatley this print doesn't really enlarge very well. Although I've used a heavy tripod, it's resting on a raised walkway. As this is next to an active steam engine there's a slight vibration in the walkway, tripod and camera :(

Hope this doesn't sound definsive ;)

Brian

rst
01-19-2007, 12:23 PM
Hey Brian,

... My original print was on glossy paper, which definitely has more bite to it than the pearl finish. Unfortunately for this print I only had pearl paper left.Well, I think for postcards which perhaps go through many hands pearl paper ist just better. I like pearl paper whenever I know I will show a stack of images to many people.

I'd be quite interested in hearing how other people deal with interior shots. It seems to me to be a trade off between an acceptable level of contrast and losing any sort or detail in from any outside/interior light sources.Yes, whenever a window comes into play things turn out to get difficult if you can not flash or have adjusted development (which is difficult with 36 exposures per film). For my card of the krypta detail the light was pretty flat, although I developed for more contrast I had to print on grade 3.9. I also took an image in the cathedral that same day on the same film of a wall with windows. Printing on grade 0.5 shows great detail in the window paintings and a far to dark wall, Printing on grade 4 shows the beautiful paintings on the wall with blown out window detail. I have not yet tried to pre-expose the paper to get the highlights going but should give it a try. Burning the windows will result in much work (definitely not an image for the postcard exchange)

Unfortunatley this print doesn't really enlarge very well. Although I've used a heavy tripod, it's resting on a raised walkway. As this is next to an active steam engine there's a slight vibration in the walkway, tripod and camera :(You should have handheld in this situation ;) In this case your body will absorb these vibrations better than the tripod and I know that one is able to handhold a long time if the camera is heavy enough. In that same film from that day I found an image of a sports car and a few people walking around it. It was already getting dark and I had no tripod with me but wanted to have this image with the people roaming around that car. So I tried to handhold 1/8 second. I think that was somehow a lucky day because I ended up with a sharp licence plate and motion blur on the people.

Hope this doesn't sound definsive ;)
Absolutely not, I like those stories, it is just interesting to hear about other peoples approaches.

Thanks for the interesting read
-- Ruediger