PDA

View Full Version : Postcard Exchange: Round 9 - Comments and Results

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

Black Dog
01-19-2007, 07:23 PM
As far as dealing with contrasty interiors goes, I'll usually cut development and increase exposure-then soup the film in a 2-bath or staining dev. I might use semi stand development like I did with my shell and window shot which some of you are about to recieve. Another possibility is to use a film with a long tonal scale like XP2 or Classic Pan 400.

bmccarthy007
01-19-2007, 10:00 PM
Postman has been busy! So far I have received (in no particular order) cards from: Chuck, Kate, Mark S, Mark F, Rudiger, Pete, PepMiro, Mick, Greg, Tom, Matt, Brian J, Tim, Ingo, & Chris. Your work is inspiring and motivating me to get printing & posting myself, which I hope to complete this weekend. I'll let you all know when they are in the mail.

Brian M

PepMiro
01-20-2007, 03:38 AM
Hello All,

I recieved Pep Miro's card today; interesting subject, shades of Easter Island?
Can you let us know something about the poles: what they signify please.

Regards Daniel

These poles are sculptures made in 1993 to commemorate the 25th years of the Social Security System in Andorra. They are made by the Mexican sculptor and architecht Jorge Dubon and the title is "Estructures autogeneradores" (Auto-generator structures). They are placed in a beautiful natural site, in front of Manyat's valley and Cassamanya's peak, in Andorra.

PepMiro
01-20-2007, 04:03 AM
Yesterday, I received another 3 nice cards:

Mick Fagan (MacMansion): A very sharp and contrasty image of a beatiful mansion. Very well developed. It's a pity that it was a so sunny day because the sky would have been better with some clouds.

Daniel (Simulatordan): Nice and original view of a ship. I find that the reflection on the water is the detail that makes the image so original. The pearl finish looks great in this case!

James (blackmelas): I like this photo very much for its simple but very powerful composition. I like the contrast of the nude trees against the sky.
Technically, I find that the fiber based paper used is really great and the moderate selenium toning gives a nice warm tone.

Josep

TimVermont
01-20-2007, 10:39 AM
Just finished my weekly run for groceries and mail. Wonderful cards in my box: Mark S., Greg (Buster 6x6); Matt King; Mick F, Pete H, Josep (my first anything from Andorra), Tom Kershaw, Ruediger and Mark Fisher. I'm very pleased to receive all of them!:D

CPorter
01-21-2007, 12:48 AM
Received a card from Mark S. yesterday. It looks like it would be a great place to find some neat compositions---is that skylight from the whole in the ceiling? Thanks for sending it.

Chuck

Black Dog
01-21-2007, 05:37 PM
They're starting to come thick and fast now:) :) So far I've recieved:
Fishing Boat Hull- Tom Kershaw:a nice abstract reminiscent of Aaron Siskind. Possibly could do with a fraction more contrast but that's a matter of personal taste really.

Abershus Festning- Pete H:has a nice glow to it with its play of shadows and light fanning out across the frame and the cobbled path leading the eye into the image.

Girl and Mill Engine-Jeffeb:good contrast between small girl and much larger machine. When it was built, kids her age would probably have been working in factories with machines like this one.

Rusty Truck-Tim Trapp:wasn't he a character in the Dukes of Hazzard LOL? Anyway another pleasing abstract with its mix of dark and light graphic elements balancing each other within the frame. Possibly a little more detail in the headlight would be nice.

Almond Trees- Blackmelas-{James}:Beautiful glowing light in this image with its subtle warm tones.Looking forward to trying ADOX paper myself!

Sentinels-Mattking:Wow! very subtle and minimal with its soft light quality and light brown tone.

Speyer Dom-Rudiger{RST}: You must have a very steady hand!Has a crisp graphic quality which vaguely reminds me of Ralph Gibson-very well observed.

Rhino, Calgary Zoo- BWKate{Kate Seymour}:love the expression on the rhino's face and the way you're not sure whether there's one rhino or two in the frame.Right now Normandy's about 20c and lit by a faint red light LOL:p ;)

Mac Mansion-Mick Fagan-pleasingly surreal quality which makes it look like a set from 'The Prisoner'. Do you really think you can escape Number Six?;)

Alongside- Daniel {Simultordan}:another good graphic shot with its interplay of shapes, ropes and shadows like a cubist painting.The Cooltone developer has worked well too.

Customers Needed-Greg{Buster 6x6}:is this the Kodak board touting for business ROFL?:p Very wittily observed and good tones from the PCAT.

Andorran Sculptures-PepMiro:enigmatic monoliths and simple composition.

Looking forward to recieving the rest!

Mark_S
01-21-2007, 08:42 PM
--is that skylight from the whole in the ceiling? Thanks for sending it.

Chuck

Light was coming from two sources - there was backlight coming from a hole in the ceiling which was above and to the left of the image, and there was a door behind me that was letting some light in.

Many great subjects at this site - I definitely plan on returning.

simulatordan
01-22-2007, 02:11 PM
Hello All,

blackmelas: Another great shot from you. I see from the description you have put in a lot of work again. I like this one a lot. By the way, when it arrived the label was half off; possibly due to the curl of the fibre print, but at least it got here.

BWKate: I like photographs with lots of tones and shapes. And this one has it all. Follow the line of the step and get an echo of the railing and its shadow. Well seen indeed.

Regards Daniel

Buster6X6
01-22-2007, 02:25 PM
Today I received 5 cards. WoW!
1. "Small church" from kraker The brick work is is very nice giving it a feeling of hard work that went in to building one many years ago.
2."Almond trees" from blackmelas what a wonderful photograph the trees are jumping from the print. Very nice paper and developer combination.
3. "Along side" from simulatordan I think a good combination of film developer and paper, nice tonal values of Ocean Maiden.Great print.
4. A print from #7 exchange I am glad better now then never. A wonderful photograph of "#5". Great combination film developer and paper. Me like.
Thanks Ray Heath.
And last but not least "Mac Mansion" from Mike Fagan The sky is great it makes the house glow (stand out).Very nicely done.

This round has been great.

Cheers Greg

kraker
01-22-2007, 04:18 PM
Three more here over the weekend:
simulatordan: veru nice harbour view. It looks so easy when you see it... yet, I would have completely missed the shot, had I been there. A very nice composition, thanks.
James (blackmelas): Wow! Stunning! I feel so humble after reading how much work you put into this card. The result is great, "I hope you enjoy it a little too" is an understatement. I love it.
Bastiaan, my fellow countryman: what a nice surprise. Seems a lot of work, the colouring. I'm interested to read some more about the technique used. Nice mood.

A great round indeed. My first, but certainly not my last one. This is so much fun!

CPorter
01-22-2007, 08:43 PM
Recieved two cards today:

Randy's Live oak Tree--- I would love to see this one on 11x14: I like that equipment/process info Randy, what did you use?

blackmelas's almond trees----nice photograph, I like the composition.

BTW, I have sent my photos out, but have only seen one post on it----just curious that they all arrived at their destinations.

Chuck

gr82bart
01-22-2007, 10:47 PM
After a week on vacation, I came back to 16 postcards! Woohoo.

Mark_S sent an image of the run down boiler during our adventure in Lowell, MA a few weeks ago
Kennsington Market holds a special place for me - thanks Greg
Mark Fisher took an image of a very large happy face
I love the poison ivy crawling over the broken window from Chuck Porter (sp?)
Someone whose name I can't make out sent a nice image of Andorra (PepMiro I think)
Mick sent a nice image of suburban Australian life
Pete H's pic of a park scene is beautiful
Got the fishing boat hull from Tom
Got the rusty truck light from Tim
Brian's image of the little girls looking at the machinery is neat
I like Jugo's shadow on the stairs
Matt sent a very nice image of the Fraser River mouth
I just love the trees from Blackmelas
Finally Rudiger sent a detail of the Speyer Dam

Now the next two are ones that restore my faith in committment

Chris Pandino sent a lovely detail of a fence post from Round 8
and Ray Heath did a great job with a detail of a jersey with No 5 from Round 7!

Wonderful images. Just great to come home from vacation to this. Fantastic. OK now it's my turn to print .... eek!

Regards, Art. :D

Pete H
01-22-2007, 11:54 PM
Two cards recently:

Kate: I wouldn't have thought of using HIE for the steps outside the MGM Grand, but the the IR halo gives the highlights the real Vegas glitz. Excellent!

Bastiaan: I'd also like to know more about the colouring. It looks like a lot of work to do that 30 times. We never find out what "my name is ..." and we don't see the person's face. Some comment about the anonymity of modern life? Intriguing.

MattKing
01-23-2007, 12:41 AM
Three more postcards here (that means 11 in total).

Mick Fagan: The "Mac Mansion" is great - crisp and geometric.

Rudiger Stobbe (rst): The "speyer dom, krypta, detail, 2006" is one of those great images that look good rightside up, upside down and from either side. It's very detailed and sharp, despite being handheld at 1/15. I am impressed. I also appreciate the fact that someone other than me "cheats" and makes postcards bigger than the average.

Daniel (Simulatordan): I like pictures of boats (which you probably already knew, if you have looked at my APUG gallery) so I was really glad to see 'Along Side'. It is a great image, with an interesting context. I also like the fact that it was shot on an Ensign Selfix - I've heard about that camera, but I don't think I've ever actually seen a photograph taken with one.

Thanks all,

Matt

BWKate
01-23-2007, 03:38 AM
Wow, people are finally starting to get my postcards!

Received James/blackmelas , postcard today. A stunning tree study with incredibly detailed printing instuctions. Thanks for all your info, it's very interesting! I love it! And yes, I did enjoy it more than just a little.

rst
01-23-2007, 04:35 AM
... Rudiger Stobbe (rst): The "speyer dom, krypta, detail, 2006" is one of those great images that look good rightside up, upside down and from either side. It's very detailed and sharp, despite being handheld at 1/15. I am impressed. I also appreciate the fact that someone other than me "cheats" and makes postcards bigger than the average.
Ohhh would you please stop. But thanks for the kind words :)

And I got three more cards, yesterday a card from

Bastiaan - Hello my name is - Partly colored, great contrast, especially in the gras and as in the last round I have to say, I like your photographs. Can you say something about the paper you use?

Today:

Randy - Massive Live Oak - Wow, that must be a nice place to photograph. I like the contrast, the detail, the print, everything.

Mark_S - Mill in Lowell - Nice machine detail. I once was in Lowell, but more by accident than by intention. I was driving from Boston to Nashua and somehow mixed up route 3 with 3A and ended up at a cemetery on route 3A. I do not remember the name. So on the following trips I tried to avoid Lowell ;)

Regards
-- Ruediger

simulatordan
01-23-2007, 12:26 PM
Hello All,

Another three 'cards today.

Mark_S: Great piece of machinery. As an engineer I find myself drawn to these ancient beasts. The detail in the gears and shafts, and the tones makes it for me. Thanks for the exposure details too.

MallKing: 'Sentinels' Interesting format. Very moody. The signs of movement in the water by the posts suggests hidden depths and dark deeds.The toning fits well with the scene. Nice one.

Bastiaan: 'Hello my name is' This is a real fun shot. I am amazed at the hand tinting; this must have taken you some time. The person in the foreground is intriguing me. Is he another photographer? His presents certainly helps the shot.

Thanks to everyone for your kind words and comments on my effort. It is appreciated. I hope I can keep you interested in future rounds.

Regards Daniel

bmccarthy007
01-23-2007, 01:49 PM
Mine went in the mail this morning. Following Kate's lead, I printed three different shots - I'm looking forward to hearing from you. Since my last post, I have received beautiful cards from James, Daniel & Randy. Great round!

Brian M

PepMiro
01-23-2007, 07:23 PM
Another beautiful postcard today from Canada

Kate (MGM Grand Hotel - Las Vegas): Infrared film has worked very well with this nice and subtle detail and gradation. Thanks for your comments. You also live in a beautiful country with lots of natural places to be photographied.

This is my first postcard interchange and I'm enjoying very much, especially because there are participants from all over the world. Thanks, Randy, for organising it.