PDA

View Full Version : Postcard Exchange: Round 9 - Comments and Results

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

reellis67
01-23-2007, 07:52 PM
Recieved two cards today:

Randy's Live oak Tree--- I would love to see this one on 11x14: I like that equipment/process info Randy, what did you use?

blackmelas's almond trees----nice photograph, I like the composition.

BTW, I have sent my photos out, but have only seen one post on it----just curious that they all arrived at their destinations.

Chuck

That was taken with my M645 setup using FP4+ (my primary film) and developed in Rodinal 1:100 and the print was developed in Ansco-130. I've got some 11x14 paper that's been hanging around for a while, I'll have to try it out. Thanks for the suggestion! If it turns out maybe we can do a print swap.

- Randy

reellis67
01-23-2007, 07:57 PM
<snip>
Randy - Massive Live Oak - Wow, that must be a nice place to photograph. I like the contrast, the detail, the print, everything.
<snip>

Thanks for the kind words! I didn't have time to do the usual dodge/burn/tone etc so I'm glad it turned out.

Also, I would like to thank everyone for a really nice round this time. There has been a nice, steady flow of cards as people mail out at different times and I've really been impressed with the cards I've gotten. You have all made this round a very rewarding experience for me and I thank you all for your efforts!

- Randy

CPorter
01-23-2007, 09:47 PM
Thanks for the suggestion! If it turns out maybe we can do a print swap.

- Randy

That would be a good idea, wish I had some trees around here like that to share with you though. I'm a forester for a living and I spend a lot of time with trees. BTW, have you received my card yet? I sent them on the 16th.

CP

BWKate
01-24-2007, 02:13 AM
Another beautiful postcard today from Canada

Kate (MGM Grand Hotel - Las Vegas): Infrared film has worked very well with this nice and subtle detail and gradation. Thanks for your comments. You also live in a beautiful country with lots of natural places to be photographied.

This is my first postcard interchange and I'm enjoying very much, especially because there are participants from all over the world. Thanks, Randy, for organising it.

You are very welcome, Pepmiro!

Thank you for your kind compliment. And yes a very big thank you to Randy for taking up the exchange. It is wonderful to receive postcards from all over the world. It makes me want to travel so much more. Although I did travel last year more than I have since I had my son now I want to do it again! I'd like to have a beer with Dave Wooten in Vegas or a good bottle of wine with Roger & Frances in France! I've already met some really nice people and the generosity of most apuggers is legendary.

eric
01-24-2007, 08:48 AM
I finally sent mine out on Monday. I've been waiting for stamps to come in the mail so I can mail it. While waiting, I got so many cards. I'm going to pin/tape them on foam core, take a pix and put it on my website so everyone can see what I got.
The printing on these cards are really nice. I love the fiber cards that some has sent with information on paper glued to the back. Great idea!
Sorry but I only put camera/processing information on my postcard. Many people sent info on why/how they took the picture.
I'm ready to do another one!!

PepMiro
01-24-2007, 12:47 PM
Two more cards were today in my mail box:

Mark_S (Machinery in Lowell): Very nice and interesting photo... and very sharp; you probably have a good tripod and a large format camera. Am I wrong? (I think this because there's no evidence of diffraction for a so small aperture of the lens).

Bastiaan (Hello my name is...): Very original and well composed photo. The tonallity and detail is great and the hand painted graffitis are wonderful. I like also the black margin. How did you get it?

Bastiaan
01-24-2007, 02:36 PM
Hello all,

Here is some extra information about my photo “Hello my name is”.
My wife and I were visiting Antwerp for a daytrip. It is about two and a half hours by train from were we live (Leiden, The Netherlands). Antwerp is a really nice city to visit. This is one of the first pictures I took that day. We were heading (walking) for the photo museum and along the way we came by a little park and this man was just lying in the grass at about 10:00 in the morning. I don’t know if he was resting, drunk or … I just sneaked up behind him and took the picture with a 50 mm.

The photo is printed full frame on Ilford MG FB glossy. I printed a small part of the negative using a little oversized plate that holds the negative and a four-bladed easel I used 30 x 40 cm paper and cut it in two to 30 x 20 cm. I printed two photo’ s on it. After a thorough wash, I tape the sheets with watercolour tape onto glass and let them dry for two days. This makes the paper absolutely flat. Then I cut them free with a sharp hobby knife. Then I coloured them, using Fotospeed Fotodyes, and the help of my wife who’s a painter!

Thank you all for the wonderfull cards I’ve received so far!

Bastiaan

CPorter
01-24-2007, 05:41 PM
Received a card from BWKate today. Nice photograph from China--I'll bet there were many photographic oportunites for you there and you probably came away with some nice compositions.

Chuck

Buster6X6
01-24-2007, 07:28 PM
Hello all,

Here is some extra information about my photo “Hello my name is”.
My wife and I were visiting Antwerp for a day trip. It is about two and a half hours by train from were we live (Leiden, The Netherlands). Antwerp is a really nice city to visit. This is one of the first pictures I took that day. We were heading (walking) for the photo museum and along the way we came by a little park and this man was just lying in the grass at about 10:00 in the morning. I don’t know if he was resting, drunk or … I just sneaked up behind him and took the picture with a 50 mm.

The photo is printed full frame on Ilford MG FB glossy. I printed a small part of the negative using a little over sized plate that holds the negative and a four-bladed easel I used 30 x 40 cm paper and cut it in two to 30 x 20 cm. I printed two photo’ s on it. After a thorough wash, I tape the sheets with watercolour tape onto glass and let them dry for two days. This makes the paper absolutely flat. Then I cut them free with a sharp hobby knife. Then I coloured them, using Fotospeed Foto dyes, and the help of my wife who’s a painter!

Thank you all for the wonderful cards I’ve received so far!

Bastiaan
I received your card today. Thanks Bastiaan for the above explanation. Great shot and I always wanted to try hand painting one of my prints. I like the border to.

Cheers Greg

eric
01-24-2007, 08:58 PM
I've finally have some time to acknowledge my postcards. I've got a bunch!
Thanks so much from everyone. I've sent more postcards overseas than to the US. So glad that APUG is International.

Tom Kershaw (UK) -- Fishing Boat Hull. Interesting shape but I don't know
which way to orient the print.
Randy -- Massive Live Oak. Very nice.
Pete H (Norway) -- Nice shadows through the trees
bwkate (CA) -- Rhino. Neat
Chuck Porter (US) -- Poison-ivy/Window -- good example of midtone printing
blackmelas (Greece) -- Tree landscape. This is my wife's favorite
mark_s (US) -- Machinery Impressive hardware
rst (DE) Nice photo of curving architecture
Daniel (UK) boat hull with mirror image on water. Nice print.
Mark Fisher (US) -- Busy Bee ride. Looks like something I would take a
picture of
pepmiro (Andorra) -- What a great landscape. I had to wiki where Andorra is.
What a beautiful country!
Mark Fagan (Australia) -- I've seen this on Apug. Cool effect on the Horizon
Camera
Brian Jeffery (UK) -- Tranquil photo of machinery and girl
Tim Trapp (US) -- Rusy Truck -- My very first Apug postcard.
Jugo (DE) -- Interesting shadows

BWKate
01-25-2007, 12:37 AM
Received a card from BWKate today. Nice photograph from China--I'll bet there were many photographic oportunites for you there and you probably came away with some nice compositions.

Chuck

Hi Chuck,
Glad the postcard got to you. When I was travelling in China I was with people that didn't stop to photograph so it was a bit of a challenge to try and make my own opportunities to photograph but I did. I hired a fellow with a motorcycle to take me around the countryside in Yangshuo and he would stop whenever I tapped him on the shoulder so I could take some photos. He did not speak English and I did not speak Chinese so it was interesting communicating.

Received 3 postcards today!!!Yippee! It was a good day.

Salmonoid, An exquisite little gem of a postcard! It was a small cyanotype toned in coffee. Wow!
Simulatordan, A beautifully printed marine image. I love the reflections in the water. Well done!
PepMiro, Great landscape, Josep and very interesting sculptures.

Pete H
01-25-2007, 01:49 AM
Cards received from

Mick Fagan: Great wide-angle perspective. I agree with Greg's comment about the glow in the sky - it sets off the buildings nicely.

Randy: You've make the oak stand out from the background very well. That's always difficult with trees. Good job!

These days I feel disappointed on days when there isn't a card in the letter box. Randy, are you taking names for the next round yet ? I'm in. :) Thanks for organising this!

Justin Low
01-25-2007, 05:41 AM
I sent mine out earlier this week. I'll take a good look at the cards I've received this weekend. Argh! Too busy with work.

Buster6X6
01-25-2007, 11:38 AM
Two more card arrived today. I think we have more people that are more dedicated this time. Great.
Mark_S with ruins in Lowell,MA of an old mill. Very nice photograph considering being in the basement of all places(90 sec exposure). Film and developer work very well together.

PeteH A beautiful shot of "Abershus Festning" Sharp and contrasty image, I love Delta100 in Rodinal, and 21mm Biogon is fantastic.

Cheers Greg

Pete H
01-25-2007, 02:05 PM
No disappointment today !

Mark_S: Beautifully sharp details in the mill.

Jake (Blackdog): You found a great angle to make the crease in the ground and the long shadow work for the composition.

Thanks!

HowardDvorin
01-25-2007, 03:44 PM
Hello All,

Today was a busy day at the mailbox. All the cards are beautiful.

Eric's card of School Children,PepMiro 's photo of a mountain in Andorra , Randy's shot of a 500 year old tree in Florida.Kate's picture of river in China,Daniel's shot of a harbor, almond trees in Greece sent by James and Chuck's photo of an abandoned house in Kentucky.

I have finished printing my own cards and will be addressing and mailing them this weekend

This has been a wonderful experience and I want to thank one and all.

Howard

Mark_S
01-26-2007, 07:08 AM
Two more card arrived today. I think we have more people that are more dedicated this time. Great.
Mark_S Film and developer work very well together.
Cheers Greg

I used to use Plus-X in the winter time, and Tri-X in the summer.
When they discontinued Plus-X (in 4x5) I did a bunch of testing of different films and now shoot almost exclusively HP5, which I develop almost always in HC-110. I love this combination for LF.

simulatordan
01-26-2007, 09:20 AM
Hello All,

Three more cards arrived today.

Randy 'Massive Live Oak' Very dramatic. What a specimen! Nice to see such an historic tree; many of our's were lost to build the Tudor and Georgian navy.

BlackDog 'Shell in Window' This is a really subtle and soft image. I like it very much.

Salmonoid This is only the second cynotype I've ever seen in the flesh. The coffee tone suits the subject I think. Thank you. To do these must be time consumming.

Regards Daniel

Buster6X6
01-26-2007, 10:57 AM
I used to use Plus-X in the winter time, and Tri-X in the summer.
When they discontinued Plus-X (in 4x5) I did a bunch of testing of different films and now shoot almost exclusively HP5, which I develop almost always in HC-110. I love this combination for LF.

Good to know, thanks Mark for this information.

Greg

eric
01-27-2007, 10:19 AM
Got 2 more yesterday
Briann: Fence and lock from Newport RI
Bastian: Hello my name is" Antwerp
Thanks!