PDA

View Full Version : Postcard Exchange: Round 9 - Comments and Results

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

reellis67
01-01-2007, 07:04 PM
Please use this thread to post when you got which cards and what you thought of them so that we can keep these separate from the sign-up thread. Someone recommended that on one of the previous rounds and it sounded like a good idea, so I'm implementing it this time to see how it works out.

I've begun to send out the list of recipients to everyone and should be done sometime this evening (EST), so please let me know if you have any questions or have problems getting the address list. I don't have everyone's email address, so you might get a HUGE pm with the addresses. If you get one of these monstronsities and would prefer a text file, just email me - my email should be visible by clicking on my name in this post and selecting 'Send email to reellis67'.

According to the schedule, we all have until the end of the month to get our cards printed and mailed - they don't have to make it to everyone by the end of the month, but it would be best if they did get mailed by the 31st. If you are going to be running late, please let us know so that everyone understands what is going on.

In the past, people have gotten a bit anxious when the end of the month passed and they didn't get that many cards, so as long as everyone responds back saying they will be sending theirs as we get towards the deadline, I think that things will go pretty smoothly. Please also feel free to post comments on the cards you get in this thread, and if you have a scanner, you might consider posting a scan of your own postcard in the gallery after the end of January so that everyone has a chance to see all the different cards.

Oh, yeah, don't forget to have fun!

- Randy

ingobohn
01-04-2007, 02:01 AM
All my postcards were mailed yesterday afternoon.

gr82bart
01-04-2007, 11:54 PM
Holy smokes! I came home to a postcard of a Rusty Truck Light from Tim Trapp. Thank you very much.

I'll be printing all my postcards this weekend.

Regards, Art.

reellis67
01-05-2007, 07:46 PM
I'll second that Art - I'm still printing too, and was going to be finishing this weekend. My hat's off to you guys that have already got your to their recipients already!

- Randy

Mick Fagan
01-05-2007, 11:25 PM
Randy, I have printed all of my postcards last month. I received the list of participants to post to from you, the trouble is that the list opens up as garbled mish mash.

Any chance of re-sending it in a format I can use?

I run a PC.

Mick.

Tom Kershaw
01-06-2007, 07:02 AM
Mick,

Try opening the .txt file in Notepad. Opened fine in TextEdit on the Mac.

Ingobohn,

Thanks for your excellent composition of the stairs and pillars in Dresden. I really like the diagonal line of shadows cast on the stone by the pillar. The gradient on the pillar brings an almost sci-fi quality to the image.

Tom.

Justin Low
01-06-2007, 07:30 AM
Thanks for the addresses Randy, if all goes well I should be finished printing this weekend. Happy new year everyone!

Mick Fagan
01-06-2007, 07:35 AM
Tom, thanks I just tried notepad, still garbage.

It was worth a try.

Mick.

rst
01-06-2007, 10:07 AM
The first postcard in the mailbox was from Ingo. I like the composition and the tonality. Looks good.

BTW, I had no trouble with the text file, since I forgot to send Randy my email address I only got the addresses as a PM ;)

Thanks for your efforts Randy.

Regards
Ruediger

kraker
01-06-2007, 10:52 AM
I received the first two postcards today: Rusty Truck from Tip Trapp, and Stairs and Pillars (Dresden) from Jugo. Funny thing about the second one is that there is no address at all on it, looks like a label fell off. How it got to my address is a big mystery... :o

Thanks, both of you, two very nice prints, not messed up too much by postal services. ;)

I've finished printing mine, but I still have to get some stamps (my post office was closed...) and I still have to write something on them. The two I received used labels; what is the best suggestion if I just want to write on the back of the cards? ballpoint, felt tip, or just: don't, use a label?

rst
01-06-2007, 11:11 AM
Maybe because of earlier exchanges the postman already knew about where to put a black and white postcard that does not look like usual postcards ;)

Regards
Ruediger

Brian Jeffery
01-06-2007, 01:02 PM
...what is the best suggestion if I just want to write on the back of the cards? ballpoint, felt tip, or just: don't, use a label?

I like writing the postcards as it does have a more personal touch. However, writing thirty odd cards can get a bit tiring. I also have to print a couple of extra to allow for mistakes.

When it comes to pens, well there's a question. I've tried every felt tip that I own, and that's quite a few, and they all bleed into the paper base. Some are definitely better than others though. When using a ball pen the writing is clear but I found it can leave indentation marks on the print side of the card.

Labels allow you to address the cards quickly and error free, however they can come adrift and I've noticed a slightly higher proportion of labeled cards arrive damaged.

So, you pays your money and takes your choice. I don't think there is a correct or "better" way of addressing your cards. It's whatever you feel happiest doing.

Brian

ingobohn
01-06-2007, 01:34 PM
Holy shit...! "rst" already told me that the adress label seems to stick not well on the back of the postcard and might fall off... Hope that most of the postcards will receive the participants.
How "kraker's" card hit his postbox without address label seems strange. :D

My pic was shot on Sunday morning during a walk through Dresden after having a portrait session with my friend's cousin in one of the numerous baroque gardens the day before. Doing these Sunday morning photos was - compared to the portrait session on Saturday - very recreative for me.

kraker
01-06-2007, 02:56 PM
Holy shit...! "rst" already told me that the adress label seems to stick not well on the back of the postcard and might fall off... Hope that most of the postcards will receive the participants.
How "kraker's" card hit his postbox without address label seems strange. :D

I suppose it must have happened close to its destination... But I checked the front of the house, no sign of a label there. Well, maybe it's pure luck I received it on the same day as the "rusty truck" photo, and the postman just assumed both these "outdated black and white postcards ;)" must both be delivered to the same address :)

My pic was shot on Sunday morning during a walk through Dresden after having a portrait session with my friend's cousin in one of the numerous baroque gardens the day before. Doing these Sunday morning photos was - compared to the portrait session on Saturday - very recreative for me.

It's a real beauty, great composition!

kraker
01-06-2007, 03:01 PM
I like writing the postcards as it does have a more personal touch. However, writing thirty odd cards can get a bit tiring. I also have to print a couple of extra to allow for mistakes.

This being my first time, I have only ten cards, so... I guess I can do them by hand. I fully understand that that becomes quite tedious as the numbers increase ;)

(...) When using a ball pen the writing is clear but I found it can leave indentation marks on the print side of the card.
(...) I don't think there is a correct or "better" way of addressing your cards. It's whatever you feel happiest doing.

Thanks, I think I'll go for the ball pen and a gentle touch. Words and sentences without "i" and "j", so you don't see the dots on the printed side :D

reellis67
01-06-2007, 03:14 PM
Tom, thanks I just tried notepad, still garbage.

It was worth a try.

Mick.

Mick,

I just resent it - let me know if it opens properly or not.

- Randy

reellis67
01-06-2007, 03:16 PM
The first postcard in the mailbox was from Ingo. I like the composition and the tonality. Looks good.

BTW, I had no trouble with the text file, since I forgot to send Randy my email address I only got the addresses as a PM ;)

Thanks for your efforts Randy.

Regards
Ruediger

Sorry about sending those out as PMs. Some people have their email public in their profile and some sent it to me as part of the sign-up, so if anyone wants the list as a text file, just shoot me a PM and I'll send it right out to you. Also, if anyone else has problems opening the file, let me know and I'll re-send.

Thanks all!

- Randy

reellis67
01-06-2007, 03:21 PM
I received the first two postcards today: Rusty Truck from Tip Trapp, and Stairs and Pillars (Dresden) from Jugo. Funny thing about the second one is that there is no address at all on it, looks like a label fell off. How it got to my address is a big mystery... :o

Thanks, both of you, two very nice prints, not messed up too much by postal services. ;)

I've finished printing mine, but I still have to get some stamps (my post office was closed...) and I still have to write something on them. The two I received used labels; what is the best suggestion if I just want to write on the back of the cards? ballpoint, felt tip, or just: don't, use a label?

I too like to write them out by hand, but I admit that on that one round where we had 50+ cards, I got REALLY tired of writting on postcards. I use a fountain pen, which does bleed a little bit, but I really don't like ball points for the most part. It's all part of that old fashioned thing I'm told - darkroom, shaving brush, fountain pens...

- Randy

Pete H
01-07-2007, 07:22 AM
..., I got REALLY tired of writting on postcards....
- Randy

Tim Trapp wins a prize for having the shortest address.
My cards will be posted tomorrow when I can get to the Post Office. I'll apologise in advance for my writing - I just hope the postal services can read it!

rst
01-07-2007, 07:26 AM
Sorry about sending those out as PMs. Some people have their email public in their profile and some sent it to me as part of the sign-up, so if anyone wants the list as a text file, just shoot me a PM and I'll send it right out to you. Also, if anyone else has problems opening the file, let me know and I'll re-send.
No, no, that was not meant as complaint, just as a joke. In your PM you already offered to also send as email, but having the addresses as PM is absolutely OK with me. Really.

Thanks and regards
-- Ruediger