PDA

View Full Version : screw or bolts?

Colin Graham
01-08-2007, 11:53 PM
What the accepted practice for mounting barrel flanges? #6 Screws seem to hold pretty well (hexanon GRII 210) but should I use through bolts and nuts? Hate to watch it go skittering down a ravine...Thanks

-oops, meant to go in regular LF forum, sorry..

David H. Bebbington
01-09-2007, 02:59 AM
I very often use pop rivets - they don't loosen accidentally but can easily be removed if desired.

Regards,

David

John Koehrer
01-09-2007, 12:14 PM
Colin,
The screws will work fine if the screwholes haven't been enlarged or stripped out. I think you're more likely to lose the entire lensboard than have the lens/flange fall off.

Colin Graham
01-09-2007, 02:13 PM
Thanks John, that's kind of what I was thinking...David, using the rivets, do you have to drill them out to remove them or is this a different sort of rivet? Thanks

Roger Hicks
01-09-2007, 03:48 PM
What the accepted practice for mounting barrel flanges? #6 Screws seem to hold pretty well (hexanon GRII 210) but should I use through bolts and nuts? Hate to watch it go skittering down a ravine...Thanks

-oops, meant to go in regular LF forum, sorry..

Screws are traditional and I have never heard of a flange falling off (I've been doing this 40 years and around woodies for 35 of them). I'd never even considered bolts, even with my 21 inch f/7.7 Ross, maybe 5 inches in diameter and seven inches long.

Cheers,

R.

David H. Bebbington
01-09-2007, 10:04 PM
Thanks John, that's kind of what I was thinking...David, using the rivets, do you have to drill them out to remove them or is this a different sort of rivet? Thanks

I should mention that I use pop rivets with metal panels only. The size I use is 1/8" diameter - after fitting, the place where the break-off pin was provides a secure start for a 1/8" twist drill if you need to remove the rivets again. You can do this several times without enlarging the holes in the panel!

With wooden panels, I would agree with others that wood screws are likely to be more than adequate.

Regards,

David

noseoil
01-10-2007, 06:53 AM
Even if a #6 screw is stripped, it is easy enough to drill and tap to the next size of #8. The APO Nikkor 480mm I use with a packard shutter is a fairly hefty lens for the old B&J 8x10, but the #6 screws are still fine and will be the least of my problems. Soft metals are usually what these rings are made from, so drilling and tapping is a good alternative to discarding a perfectly good mounting flange. tim

Jim Noel
01-15-2007, 02:43 PM
I use screws on wooden boards and bolts and nuts for metal ones.

Shawn Dougherty
01-15-2007, 02:48 PM
I have the APO Nikkor 480 that tim mentioned and I have it attached with bolts. It cost about $1 and makes me feel better... Plus, I found bolts that fit perfectly so there are no allterations to make, a little lock tight and I haven't thought about it until now. Good luck. Shawn