PDA

View Full Version : B&W Wildlife photographers?

Brad Bireley
01-16-2007, 01:58 PM
Are there any wildlife photographers that do it in B&W film?

Thanks,
Brad

SeamusARyan
01-16-2007, 02:02 PM
the obvious answer is Nick Brandt who shoots in B&W, he gets a lot of flack here because he prints digitally but recently he has been doing very large platinums which are rather lovely

you should check him out

he also has a book out at the moment

enjoy

Seamus
www.seamusryan.com

David A. Goldfarb
01-16-2007, 02:25 PM
_B&W_ magazine did a feature on Carl Cook not long ago--

http://www.clcookphoto.com/

I do a lot of B&W photography, and I photograph birds in color, but I've never quite been able to make B&W bird photography work for me. I probably just need to try harder.

Ailsa
01-16-2007, 03:31 PM
Martyn Colbeck is another one. His black & white elephant photographs are absolutely superb.

Dave Wooten
01-16-2007, 03:58 PM
_B&W_ magazine did a feature on Carl Cook not long ago--

http://www.clcookphoto.com/

I do a lot of B&W photography, and I photograph birds in color, but I've never quite been able to make B&W bird photography work for me. I probably just need to try harder.

Ravens represent well in b and w as do some species of Turkey Vultures; not to forget of course, the cormorants, crows and common pigeons in graceful flight.

Struan Gray
01-16-2007, 04:56 PM
There's a norwegian photographer who has done some great B+W wildlife work, including some excellent Osprey photos. I *think* it was Pål Hermansen (www.palhermansen.com) but my magazines are buried for now and his website neither confirms nor denys my hunch.

Christopher Walrath
01-16-2007, 07:12 PM
I am not positive, but if I had to guess, Clyve Butcher may have done some wildlife and he is primarily a LF B&W guy.

rardinger
01-16-2007, 07:55 PM
Look up Sebastiao Salgado's "Genesis Project". A web search finds many links to some of the images ( http://arts.guardian.co.uk/salgado/story/0,15021,1301861,00.html for example). B&W film (Pentax 645 I had read).

bjorke
01-17-2007, 04:04 AM
see if you can track down a copy of the recent SHOTS magazine 'animals' issue

Jon Shiu
01-17-2007, 12:35 PM
From the past, look up Eliot Porter.

Jon

Peter Rockstroh
01-17-2007, 10:39 PM
Ottomar Anschuetz was doing literally wild B&W images in the 1880`s. A couple of years later, the Keaton Brothers in England redefined wildlife photography. They invented the portable blind in 1897. Arthur Radclyffe was a man with great mechanical skills, who invented a 5x7 "reflex" view camera and photographed wildlife in Africa. He usually carried a very large gun under his arm as he had to get quite close to his sibjects, which included rhinos and cape buffalo.
One of the most famous B&W wildlife photographers was Eric Hosking, whose bird images are pure visual poetry. The American Leonard Lee Rue III focused more on mammals of North America. His images were classic textbook illustrations for several decades. Europe took B&W wildlife photography a step further, forming associations of photographers in Spain, France, Germany and Scandinavia in the 1930`s. But while these photographers are still great soures of inspiration, today`s magazines reflect little if anything of this challenging subject.
It is probably one of the toughest subjects in B&W. I`d be interested in seeing any recent work apart form Nick Brandt and James Balog.

Peter

ScarletBrown
12-03-2013, 11:25 PM
I love wildlife photography and one of the most famous B&W Photographer is Mikko Lagerstedt.

mauro35
12-04-2013, 04:45 AM
I love wildlife photography and one of the most famous B&W Photographer is Mikko Lagerstedt.

In which sense a famous B&W photographer? I know Mikko Lagerstedt´s work and appreciate that, but I would rather say he is a digital photographer.

Wayne
12-04-2013, 08:57 AM
Look up Sebastiao Salgado's "Genesis Project". A web search finds many links to some of the images ( http://arts.guardian.co.uk/salgado/story/0,15021,1301861,00.html for example). B&W film (Pentax 645 I had read).

He started the Genesis Project with film but finished with digital, and I'm pretty sure that's all he uses now.