PDA

View Full Version : Calling all Greater Vancouver Area Appuggers...

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5

MattKing
02-21-2007, 07:36 PM
I'm having some problems getting those two days off as they are the only days I am being scheduled for. I might have to wait a week or two longer. My place to stay is confirmed but work is a problem.

The Sylvia Hotel is a great place. Granville Island is also a great place and that's where my old alma mater, Emily Carr College, is located. There is a photo exhibit at the Vancouver Art Gallery of an old friend of mine, a fellow named Fred Hertzog that I want to check out some time.

Close to the the Westminster Quay is a photography gallery called Presentation House. I wonder what is showing there right now?

I agree about the Sylvia, although its greatest attribute is certainly the location.

Kate:

Presentation House is over on the North Shore, near the Lonsdale Quay. I'll see if I can find out what is showing there.

I too want to see the Fred Hertzog exhibit - and anyone new to the area probably should as well, because it may give a better sense of where Vancouver is coming from than just about anything else.

Matt

Paddy
02-21-2007, 11:47 PM
Hi all, I checked out Fred Herzog's solo at the VAG last night, and I can say that you won't be disappointed by this massive retrospective. There's images from the 50's on through to the present. He notes a deep influence from Walker Evans, and it can be seen in many of the images. Beautiful stuff. Chapters books is carrying the publication of the exhibit. Also worth seeing, is the other photo show on the main floor "Acting the Part" a history of staged photography. They've got a great variety of images going back to the mid 1800's, and more contemporary i.e. E. Weston (Civilian Defense),... Duane Michaels, Les Krims, through to G. Crewdson and a number of other current image makers. Tuesday nights from 5-9 p.m. it's by donation!

Confusion Circle
02-22-2007, 05:26 AM
There is also an art gallery on Granville street that is currently having a Fred Herzog exhibit. Err....Granville & 7th, me thinks...between 8th & 7th, on the west side.

BWKate
02-22-2007, 10:36 AM
It's the Equinox Gallery at 2321 Granville Street. It's on until March 10th.

Paddy: Thanks for the update on Fred's exhibit at the VAG. I will get over to see it. It might not be on the 2nd but maybe the week after.

Confusion Circle
02-22-2007, 02:00 PM
Yes, that's it. Thank you. I drive by there everyday, but I did not know the name.

Paddy
02-23-2007, 11:52 PM
"It's the Equinox Gallery at 2321 Granville Street."

I'm fairly certain that the Equinox represents Fred Herzog.

FYI - The bulk of Fred's work for the VAG show, specifically the high-end giclée's (not the lightjets) were printed by Fidelis http://www.fidelisprintmaking.com/ . Fidelis is basically the sister & brother team of Karen & Alan Somerville. For many years their dad owned and operated one of Vancouver's pro film labs, Gamma Pro Imaging. They're very nice folks who are offering an excellent product/service. They might be the only pro-level printers of large scale hex-tone B&W giclée's in Vancouver.

Have a great weekend everyone, and I'm looking forward to meeting some of our "Westcoast Ape Huggers" sooner than later. ;););)

Confusion Circle
02-24-2007, 03:20 AM
Come join us!
http://photo.meetup.com/475/?gj=sj6

We are going to see the fishies at the Vancouver Aquarium on Sunday morning!

jd callow
02-24-2007, 01:24 PM
Ok here is the plan.
John (thebanana) needs to make the evening ferry to the island so he'll only be around until 5:00 or 6:00pm. The plan is...
to meet at about 10:00 am on Friday, 2 March at the Sylvia Hotel (http://www.sylviahotel.com/map.htm) (Click the link for directions).
Have a cup o coffee/tea etc. hang out for about an hour and
If the weather allows walk around and shoot pictures or
otherwise we may just coffee house/restaurant/bar hop

I'll have my cell phone with me if you want can't make it by ~11:00am at the Sylvia, but want to find us. PM me for the number.

Cheers,

jdc

Medusa83
02-25-2007, 03:09 PM
To bad it's Friday. I have to work that day so I will try to make it out to the next one whenever it gets planned.

jd callow
02-25-2007, 03:15 PM
the next one wil be an evening or weekend thing or maybe we can hook-up with Confusion Circle's group.

thebanana
02-26-2007, 12:07 PM
Does it ever stop raining out there?;) ;)

Confusion Circle
02-26-2007, 01:35 PM
Rarely.

Don't the mosquitoes and snow ever stop there?

Hehe...

thebanana
02-26-2007, 01:41 PM
Haven't seen a mosquito in months:D
Snow is another issue:(

Dave Swinnard
02-28-2007, 10:19 AM
It's not raining as I type this - it's snowing. It's almost enough to render travel dangerous (that would be anything more than 1-2 mm on the road the way people around here react). (tee hee)

On the other hand, I'm almost sure I saw a mosquito shaped thing buzzing around the front door the other day trying to get in out of the rain.

I had planned on meeting you folks at the Sylvia Friday, but something has come up and I'm off to the fabulous Chilliwack instead (the only good thing about that, it that I'll get some of Barb's famous Airport pie.)

Here's hoping the rain stops for you.

BWKate
02-28-2007, 12:18 PM
Looks like I managed to get Friday off!!! Yippee! I'll be getting up at the crack of dawn and taking the 7:00 a.m. ferry.

I'll PM John.

jd callow
02-28-2007, 12:19 PM
Thats great news kate. I'll return your PM as soon shortly. I was out and about last night and I'm a bit crisp this morning.

thebanana
02-28-2007, 12:21 PM
Great! I'm getting pumped about doing some shooting, rain or shine! Now, if only it would stop snowing. We're expecting another 10-20cm tonight and tomorrow. Not good for the 2.5 hr drive to Winnipeg to catch the flight. Time will tell.

jd callow
02-28-2007, 12:53 PM
It snowed this morning and the sun is now out the snow is al but gone form the roof tops. yesterday was a beautiful sunny day. The mountains had low cloud cover during the day with a wonderful halo toward afternoon.

The weather folk predicted snow today and tomorrow. I have to finish packing and painting today. Tomorrow we move from Richmond to downtown Vancouver.

John you could have picked a better time to come calling, but my wife has already said its a good thing I'll be out of the house whilst she organizes.

I'll be off line tomorrow and will communicate via other technologies should it be needed.

Eric Rose
02-28-2007, 01:20 PM
I have to finish packing and painting today. Tomorrow we move from Richmond to downtown Vancouver.

John you could have picked a better time to come calling, but my wife has already said its a good thing I'll be out of the house whilst she organizes.

So the slumlord never fixed the place up eh. Bugger. If you are moving anywhere near Robson St. you will be a lucky guy. I love it there.

Have fun!

jd callow
02-28-2007, 01:58 PM
No the landlord didn't do anything for the house, but said he'd make good on the improvements if I agreed to a 25% increase in rent. Meanwhile, I am going to finish painting as I had promised, because homey tries to be as good as his word. I originally agreed to paint if he would fix the moldy drywall in the one bath, replace the urine soaked carpet, fix the rotted porch steps, the broken front door latch, and a few other items of note. He did a couple items after I withheld rent. This place was far and away the worst I've ever lived in. Sadly, the new place is going to be the smallest. We had listened to everyone who said finding a place was really tough and so we took the first place that met our minimum. As it turned out we saw three places and could have had any of them and had we looked more we probably could have found something nicer. The fear of losing the one 'good one' made us leap a little too quickly. Oh well, its relatively low rent, excellent location (Broadway and Granville) and are only committed for a year.