PDA

View Full Version : World Pinhole Photo Day Print Exchange - FAQs and Sign Up Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

gr82bart
01-31-2007, 08:54 AM
Here's how it works ....

The basic process is:
1. Sign up by posting a message in this thread that you are interested in participating. The sign up period will end on April 30, 2007.

2. On World Pinhole Photography Day - Sunday, April 29, 2007, take your pinhole camera and take several images. Choose one image to use for this print exchange.

3. Sometime between May 1 and 4, I will organize everyone into groups of 4 or 5 participants depending on how many people sign up. I will post the groups in another thread called "WPPD Print Exchange Groups and Status".

4. Send a Private Message (PM) to all the other members of your group your real name and postal address.

5. Make enough prints to send to only the other members of your group. This should be no more than 3 to 4 prints.

6. Mail your prints to the other members of your group. Post a message that you have sent your print in the "WPPD Print Exchange Groups and Status" thread. The deadline to make and mail your print will be June 30, 2007.

7. Enjoy the prints you receive, post a message thanking the other member for sending a print, provide feedback if you wish.

Only Two Basic Rules:

You MUST use a real pinhole camera for this exchange (digital manipulations/plug-ins are not acceptable whatsoever)
You MUST take the image on World Pinhole Photography Day - April 29, 2007Some Guidelines:
- Make the best print you can with the best materials you can afford. It does not have to be museum quality, but there shouldn't be spilled coffee on it too!
- Although you don't need to mount/mat your print, a lot of people do. It's up to you. I highly recommend it.
- A decent 8x10 is the most common size, but really any size is acceptable - make an effort. A 'leftover' 4x6 from the photolab is not a good thing to send to others.
- Write something about your print and include it.
- Include basic information about the print:

Make and Model of Pinhole Camera
Exposure Settings
Materials used to make print
Process used to make printWhat Kinds of Prints Are Acceptable?
- Hybrid prints are acceptable so long as the image was captured on FILM
- Prints made from a photolab are acceptable, so long as they are not left over family pics, etc...
- Prints made from LightJets or Lambdas are acceptable
- Prints made from alternative/historical processes like platinum/palladium, Polaroid Transfer, etc... are acceptable

What about packaging?
Here are some known methods that people have been sending their prints:

Flat, sandwiched in between two stiff cardboards, in a flat cardboard mailer or a soft bubble wrap mailer <--very good for unmounted prints, OK for mounted prints
Flat, loose with popcorn, bubble wrap, newspaper or other soft material in a cardboard box mailer <--good for mounted prints
Rolled in a cardboard tube <--very not good for mounted prints
Hand delivered <--now that's dedication!Postage?
People should send their prints using the good old postal system of your country. No need to send it by courier or anything fancy like that. Note that this exchange will be international in nature, so expect to send prints internationally.

When sending prints internationally, do NOT declare the photograph more than $10.00 USD or equivalent for customs/duty purposes.

Communications
It is important that participants post a message that they have sent/received their prints. It is also important for anyone that cannot honour their commitment to PM the organizer and the rest their group.

World Pinhole Photography Day?
For more information on this day please go to http://www.pinholeday.org/ or contact Tom Miller, who is one of the coordinators of the day, here on APUG.

Anyway, that's all I can think of right now. I hope we can get a lot of people participating in this print exchange.

Regards, Art.

Anupam Basu
01-31-2007, 09:14 AM
I am in.

-Anupam

Kobin
02-01-2007, 05:42 PM
Sign me up for this, too, please.

K.

b1ltr1te
02-01-2007, 09:59 PM
Sign me up!

Sirius Glass
02-02-2007, 12:13 AM
Only Two Basic Rules:

1. You MUST use a real pinhole camera for this exchange (digital manipulations/plug-ins are not acceptable whatsoever)
2. You MUST take the image on World Pinhole Photography Day - April 30, 2007

Hmmm ... what about a 35mm Nikon with a pinhole in the body cap? Is that acceptable? It is definitely not a digital manipulation/plug-in.

30 April is on a Sunday. I have to work. Many of the workshops are on 28 or 29 April. Can I shot the photograph of the 28th or 29th?

Informed Readers want to know.

Steve

Pete H
02-02-2007, 12:30 AM
Please sign me up.

Sirius Glass
02-02-2007, 04:21 PM
Only Two Basic Rules:

1. You MUST use a real pinhole camera for this exchange (digital manipulations/plug-ins are not acceptable whatsoever)
2. You MUST take the image on World Pinhole Photography Day - April 30, 2007

Hmmm ... what about a 35mm Nikon with a pinhole in the body cap? Is that acceptable? It is definitely not a digital manipulation/plug-in.

30 April is on a Sunday. I have to work. Many of the workshops are on 28 or 29 April. Can I shot the photograph of the 28th or 29th?

Informed Readers want to know.

Steve

Correction 30 April is on Monday. **************** You meant Sunday?

I am in.

Steve

gr82bart
02-02-2007, 06:16 PM
Oops!

1. OK World Pinhole Photography Day is on Sunday, April 29, 2007. Sean and/or one of the moderators will correct my error.

2. Yes you can use a pinhole cap on a film camera.

Regards, Art.

DWThomas
02-02-2007, 08:15 PM
What the hey -- sign me up!

If lucky, I will have a pinhole body cap working on my SQ-A. If unlucky, I will use my previous 4x5 rig -- I would go contact print or hybrid for that as I currently have no operational 4x5 enlarger. Although April 29 is a ways off and I do have this old cold-light/Graflarger back I may be able to kludge on to the B&J ..... hmmm .... oh no -- another project! .... :D

DaveT

magic823
02-02-2007, 11:03 PM
Sign me up. I'll be using by 6x17 pinhole camera.

Steve

astrobeck
02-04-2007, 06:05 PM
I'm in, and what a great idea!

astrobeck
02-04-2007, 06:11 PM
I'm in. I'm using a 4 x 5 homemade camera.

artdog
02-04-2007, 10:43 PM
I'm in, sounds like fun. I've modified a handful of oldies, like an Argus C3, Kodak Duaflex and a couple of old slrs with damaged lenses. Nice chance to play with some old friends.
Artdog

bdilgard
02-06-2007, 06:10 AM
Sign me up. Thanks.

Ray Heath
02-06-2007, 06:42 AM
g'day art
please add my name to the list

thnx
Ray

HowardDvorin
02-06-2007, 09:27 AM
Hello, I am giong to join in. I have a 4 x 5 wooden thing that pinholes.. I have never used it . So, here goes.

HowardDvorin

George Papantoniou
02-07-2007, 08:40 AM
Sign me up. I might be using paper negatives, do you mind ? I think they're much more fun than the transparent ones (although this means that I'll have to produce Lambda prints out of them).

dylder
02-07-2007, 08:57 AM
Sign me up.

dylder

crispinuk
02-09-2007, 04:37 PM
Before I forget, sign me up.
If I use the Minhole (8x11mm) don't expect anything bigger than a 5x7 print though :D

gr82bart
02-17-2007, 07:45 AM
Nice list of particpants so far:

Anupam Basu
Kobin
b1ltr1te
Pete H
Stever
DWThomas
magic823
astrobeck
astrobeck
artdog
bdilgard
Ray Heath
HowardDvorin
George Papantoniou
dylder
crispinukIt's a long sign up period, so hopefully we can break the 100 particpant mark (think that's possible?). :o

Regards, Art.