PDA

View Full Version : 18 x 24 film sheaths

Whiteymorange
02-05-2007, 03:53 PM
I came home from an auction with a box of 18x24mm film sheaths that fit inside plate holders. Since I have no use for them... PM me if they might be useful for you. This is a give away, maybe a trade if you're feeling generous and have something suitable, no charge but shipping - if anyone wants them that is. They could use a little clean up but they are in pretty good shape.

I also got two of the thick rim 9x12 plate holders. Again, a PM if you want them. I can do better than "thick rim" in terms of description.

Gotta love those $1 box lots!

Ole
02-05-2007, 09:56 PM
PM sent :)

PHOTOTONE
02-06-2007, 03:52 AM
So, a couple years ago I purchased some glass plate film holders at auction, and they looked like standard 8x10 film holder size. I was thinking I could adapt one to wet plate use, with my standard 8x10 film camera. But no....they are wider and will not slide into the back of any of my 8x10 film cameras.

My question is....is this the norm? Were there glass plate holders that would fit in view cameras intended primarily for film holders?

Whiteymorange
02-06-2007, 11:35 AM
Ole got to me first. 18x24 sheaths are all gone. thick 9x12?

Ole
02-06-2007, 01:55 PM
So, a couple years ago I purchased some glass plate film holders at auction, and they looked like standard 8x10 film holder size. I was thinking I could adapt one to wet plate use, with my standard 8x10 film camera. But no....they are wider and will not slide into the back of any of my 8x10 film cameras.

My question is....is this the norm? Were there glass plate holders that would fit in view cameras intended primarily for film holders?

Basically, there is no standard dimensions for plate holders. Ever single maker had a different size, and in some cases the holders were made for the individual camera.

Oddly enough I have a pair of 18x24cm plate holders, book-style, which fits in a modern 8x10" camera. They've even got the little locator ridge.

Two other holders I've had to modify to make them fit my 18x24cm plate camera. One was 3mm too narrow and 1.4mm too thick, the other was 2.5mm too wide and lacked the metal corner locks. And then I suddenly found four more holders, all of which were perfect direct fits...

As I said, there was no standard. but there seems to have been only about a hundred or so different sizes, so you could get lucky... :p