PDA

View Full Version : Noblex questions

Pages : [1] 2

topridge99
03-19-2007, 11:13 PM
This goes out to Noblex users...I'm borrowing a Noblex 150 this week to get a feel for the camera and format, thinking it's wise to learn before buying (and if anyone reading this has a Noblex they want to sell I will be in the market for one!) such unique equipment. I must say after 4 rolls it is absolutely addictive!

Here are some questions I'm wondering about:
1. I've been multiple exposing to create longer exposure times, and wondered how many users have the slow exposure module and if they recommend it?
2. My loaner has the fixed focus, and I'm wondering how many times have you wished for the 3 focus points? The lens/format is extremely sharp and I've barely been able to detect fuzziness in the foreground around f8 or wider.
3. Can you add or remove the magnetic filters while the camera is loaded with film?

I've only double-exposed 2 frames so far and haven't seen my fingers in any frames, so I'm doing okay. I look forward to any responses -

Bill

rogein
03-20-2007, 03:07 PM
I used a Noblex 150 w/focus & shift for about a year. Super sharp lens - my only gripe was the limited amount of shift available. I was inevitably always pointing 'up' which gave the typical curved horizon - something I personally don't care for. On hindsight this was probably more my inability to 'see' with the camera as I have seen some wonderful work done with the Noblex.

This goes out to Noblex users...I'm borrowing a Noblex 150 this week to get a feel for the camera and format, thinking it's wise to learn before buying (and if anyone reading this has a Noblex they want to sell I will be in the market for one!) such unique equipment. I must say after 4 rolls it is absolutely addictive!

Here are some questions I'm wondering about:
1. I've been multiple exposing to create longer exposure times, and wondered how many users have the slow exposure module and if they recommend it?
2. My loaner has the fixed focus, and I'm wondering how many times have you wished for the 3 focus points? The lens/format is extremely sharp and I've barely been able to detect fuzziness in the foreground around f8 or wider.
3. Can you add or remove the magnetic filters while the camera is loaded with film?

I've only double-exposed 2 frames so far and haven't seen my fingers in any frames, so I'm doing okay. I look forward to any responses -

Bill

mlogue
03-21-2007, 12:40 AM
Hi!

My first post on APUG! - I own a Noblex 150FS, with focus and shift capability, and I thought I would need them, but I've used the shift capability maybe 10 times, and the focus a total of 0 times, with maybe 200 rolls through my camera. I took a photography workshop a few years ago with Macduff Everton, and he showed us his Noblex - it was the plain vanilla one, no focus or shift, and he'd attached a bullseye bubble level to the front of it using silicon caulk (or something to that effect) so he could see if it was level while looking through the viewfinder. I've never used the long-exposure module, I've just set it to bulb and added up the appropriate amount of 1/15 sec. revolutions to get the exposure I wanted.

99% of the photos on my website, www.mlogue.com were made with my Noblex. Man, do I absolutely love it. Unfortunately, I need to sell it to make way for a Fotoman 617, and I can't have 2 expensive panoramic cameras around the house. You don't get the curved horizons with a Fotoman (or any flat-focal plane camera) that you do with the Noblex. On the other hand, the Noblex is more compact and lighter than the Fotoman, so it's a trade-off.

Have fun!

rogein
03-21-2007, 07:53 AM
I use the Fotman 617 and while 'curved' horizons are no longer an issue I sometimes miss the wide 135 deg fov offered by the Noblex.

topridge99
03-21-2007, 09:10 AM
Does the Fotoman have a flash synch? That's already something I'm missing with the loaner Noblex.

Bill

rogein
03-21-2007, 12:09 PM
Yes since you're basically using lenses already mounted on copal shutters.

Does the Fotoman have a flash synch? That's already something I'm missing with the loaner Noblex.

Bill

blindphotographer
03-21-2007, 11:32 PM
I had one of the early Noblex 120's which I used for a number of years - sold it and then 2 years ago bought a new one. Both had the slow speed module which I used continually. yes you can change out the filters mid roll without exposing a frame. The close focus capability is another feature I used quite often and will get you in about 3 feet from the subject. I also have had a Linhof 617 and currently have the Canham 617. The Noblex will get you shots which are impossible with the 617's - and with no fall-off of light at the edges. My only complaint is the pre-roll at the lower speeds. It is really not needed to get the drum up to speed. And on the lowest speeds it may creep around for a minute and one half before the exposure begins.

Ted Harris
03-22-2007, 08:33 AM
I use a Noblex 150F for which the slow speed module is not available but the shutter speeds go down to 1/15 as opposed to the 1/30 that is true for some other models. I use multiple exposures frequently and have never had a problem. Before I bought the Noblex I tried a Horseman G617, a Seitz Roundshot and a Widelux. The Horseman and like cameras are nice bu tthey are not panoramic in the true sense of the word. The Seitz drove me nuts and the Widelux just wasn't up to the same standards as the Noblex. The Noblex, BTW paid for itself on one job.

I don't use the filters so I can't address that issue either but the F model does have the zone focus feature and I wouldn't give it up. Actually, it is continuous zone focus with three detents. Yes, the lens is among the sharpest made and if you can accurately zone focus it gets even sharper. BTW, I don't know where the lenses are manufacured now but they were originally Docter Optics.

Every once in a while I will use the camera handheld at a higher shutter speed ... generally a bad idea ... keep it on the tripod. I have run literally hudnreds of rolls of film through this camera in the 5 years I have had it and it is a marvelous performer. PM me for any specific info you might be interested in.

topridge99
03-23-2007, 10:36 AM
Thanks to each of you for the responses. I took the loaner back yesterday. I found the camera to be easy to use and carry, and am fascinated by the perspective. The fixed focus created some very long interior exposure times that could have been reduced with adjustable focus and larger apertures. I can see the benefits of a slow exposure module instead of multiple exposures. I didn't need a shift option during my use. Razor sharp negatives!!

Is there an older model that gives me slow exposure module capabilities, adjustable focus and no shift?? Maybe the shift and focus are always together?

Thanks again and I look forward to hearing from you -
Bill

Ted Harris
03-23-2007, 10:51 AM
Jim, there is no older model that gives you the slow exposure mode AFAIK. My model, the 150F gives you the adjustale focus without shift.

garri
03-25-2007, 05:08 AM
I have a horizon 202 which I have considered upping to a 150 for a while.
I am a little frustrated bye the fact that I cant use grads etc, so have resisted this far. Looking at your site mlogue, the pics are very evenly exposed, no lost highlights etc, what film are you using?

Will print film such as Potra or NPS etc help with the contrast?

I find that I run out of latitude quite quickly even at the ends of the day with chromes. I am really keen on the perspective but the contrast thing is killing me.

Gari

blindphotographer
03-25-2007, 09:31 PM
In answer to your question as to whether older versions of the Noblex are available. The older version of the Noblex which uses the slow speed module and also has focus capabilities is called the Noblex Pro150 U as opposed to the currently available Pro150 UX. It will be less on the used market. Some differences are: 1 Some think it has a sharper lens. 2 The shift control must be accessed in the same way a filter is inserted -- with tweezers - and is not visable on the outside of the camera. 3 It has a less robust tripod mount socket. And 4 It does not have a separate Start button which starts the counter after threading the film. You simply push in the shutter button, then wind to picture #1. This early version also accepts the automatic exposure module.

Ted Harris
03-26-2007, 11:34 AM
Further on the sharper lens issue. As I stated in an earlier post, Docter Optics made the lenses for the Noblex until their demise/reorganization in 1997/8. Those lenses are, like others from Docter, excellent optics. I have no idea where the currentlenses come from.

mlogue
03-28-2007, 01:27 AM
Hi - thanks for the kind words. I use 1 of 3 films, pretty much exclusively: Fuji pro160c, pro400h and pro800z. I've been trying velvia for the last couple of weeks, but I just can't get the latitude I'm looking for. Chromes are nice to take a gander on with a light table, but for scanning and printing (epson 4990 and epson 2200), I've found that the three fuji neg films mentioned above work the best for me. I shoot probably 99% handheld as well, if that helps...

I have a horizon 202 which I have considered upping to a 150 for a while.
I am a little frustrated bye the fact that I cant use grads etc, so have resisted this far. Looking at your site mlogue, the pics are very evenly exposed, no lost highlights etc, what film are you using?

Will print film such as Potra or NPS etc help with the contrast?

I find that I run out of latitude quite quickly even at the ends of the day with chromes. I am really keen on the perspective but the contrast thing is killing me.

Gari

David A. Goldfarb
12-03-2008, 07:20 AM
I just went to order some Noblex filters from Photo Habitat in New York, and they contacted R.T.S., the US distributor, who told them that as of January 1, 2009, they will no longer be distributing Noblex, so they haven't been replenishing stock.

They had one of the items I was looking for, but I guess I'll have to order the others from Canada or Europe until Noblex has a new US distributor. I'll e-mail Noblex to see if I can get any more news, or if anyone here happens to know, please post.

If anyone happens to be looking for a green (11) or red (25a) filter for the Noblex medium format cameras, Photo Habitat has them in stock at the old price ($50 each).

David A. Goldfarb
12-04-2008, 11:44 AM
More news--I contacted Robert White, which happens to have a number of Noblex filters at very reasonable prices on their website, but not the one's I'm looking for, and they say they are also having a difficult time dealing with Kamera Werk Dresden at the moment and have removed Noblex from their website, except apparently for current items in stock. The company has apparently been "refinanced--again."

I suspect they must be taking a hit from all the stitching software out there, pano heads and such.

topridge99
01-06-2009, 01:54 PM
That's rather depressing news David. I recently had my Noblex with me at Hoover Dam in October and made some wonderful images from the overlook near the spillway. In addition to lots of "what kind of camera is that?" questions from the tourists, I have media that doesn't require a hard drive or stitching software. And that little lens is sooooo sharp!

Thanks for the update on this great camera.

Bill

Klaus_H
02-05-2009, 12:47 PM
The manufacturer of the Noblex cameras is still alive.

Name: Kamera Werk Dresden Optronic GmbH
Web: www.kwdo.de

Klaus

David A. Goldfarb
02-05-2009, 01:03 PM
Thanks for the update.

europanorama
02-07-2009, 09:29 PM
curved lines can be cured when using panorama-factory stitching software(i wished this feature could be used without using the stitching process. maybe someone could ask the owners.
alternative is altostorms rectiliniar panorama (plugin for photoshop or paintshop pro)
up to 160 degr. -i didnt not yet check but maybe this procedure leads in better superwide-angle shots than using orginal superwides. less distortion of people in the corners.