PDA

View Full Version : Postcard Exchange - Round 10 Comments and Results

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

rwyoung
04-26-2007, 08:26 AM
I got a really fine image that, dare I say...will be the one shot closest to my home from Robert Young, today. Got any technical info, Robert?

Foma 200 @ 200.
Pentax MX, 50mm f/2, #8 yellow filter
Parodinal (search the forum), 1:100, 1hr stand

Ilford MGIV Portfolio RC postcard (did you guess that one?) Pearl finish, "old" box, I think they have changed the back printing font in the new batches.
Kodak brand #2 printing filter (might have been #3, don't have notebook here).
Cards resting on enlarger (D2) baseboard, two drafting triangles used to make pocket for aligning cards.
Exposure probably around 10 seconds @ f11, don't have notebook handy
150mm lens and associated cone and condensor to move enlarger head higher on column for working room.

Dektol 1+1 2min, 20C(approximately)
Acetic acid stop
Kodak Fixer
Wash and dry, no toning.

jstraw
04-26-2007, 08:37 AM
Foma 200 @ 200.
Pentax MX, 50mm f/2, #8 yellow filter
Parodinal (search the forum), 1:100, 1hr stand

Ilford MGIV Portfolio RC postcard (did you guess that one?) Pearl finish, "old" box, I think they have changed the back printing font in the new batches.
Kodak brand #2 printing filter (might have been #3, don't have notebook here).
Cards resting on enlarger (D2) baseboard, two drafting triangles used to make pocket for aligning cards.
Exposure probably around 10 seconds @ f11, don't have notebook handy
150mm lens and associated cone and condensor to move enlarger head higher on column for working room.

Dektol 1+1 2min, 20C(approximately)
Acetic acid stop
Kodak Fixer
Wash and dry, no toning.

Thanks Robert. That certainly is complete information!

Maybe it's time for another NE Kansas shoot.

gordrob
04-26-2007, 09:11 AM
Jake sent me his updated address, and I show it in my final list, but for whatever reason, it was not included in what got sent out. I won't post it openly in the forum, but anyone who has yet to mail their cards to Jake (Black Dog) can PM or email me and I will give you his current address.

- Randy

Hi Randy

Can you send me Jake Williams updated address

Thanks
gORD

reellis67
04-26-2007, 09:18 AM
No prob - PM sent!

- R

reellis67
04-26-2007, 09:23 AM
For anyone interested, there is an interesting thread going about what you do with your postcards (http://www.apug.org/forums/forum179/38699-what-do-all-postcards.html)

- Randy

gordrob
04-26-2007, 09:33 AM
It looks like the post office is catching on to the address error as I got a batch of 5 cards this morning. Cards came in from Art, Mark Fisher, PeteH, Robert Young and Black Dog. I leave the stack of postcards at the front door so visitors can check them out, lots of great comments on the content as well as the fact so many photographers from around the world participate in the exchange.

Regards
Gord

rwyoung
04-26-2007, 09:36 AM
Thanks Robert. That certainly is complete information!

Maybe it's time for another NE Kansas shoot.

Won't have time for that for a while (weekends seem a bit over programmed these days) but you are welcome to come to Lawrence this Sunday for Worldwide Pinhole Day. We (Lawrence Photo Alliance) are sponsoring the 3rd of 3 pinhole workshops Sunday 4/29 from 1-4 at the Lawrence Arts Center. "Free" but we would like to have a small donation to cover materials, couple of bucks.

For the 3rd workshop, we aren't going to be building cameras (unless you REALLY, REALLY want to) but will have a collection of premade cameras to play with. Or bring your own. We will have a supply of 5x7 and 8x10 RC paper to use as "film" and chemistry to soup your negatives on the spot. You can try printing a positive or just scan and print later.

http://www.pinholeday.org/

jstraw
04-26-2007, 04:05 PM
Won't have time for that for a while (weekends seem a bit over programmed these days) but you are welcome to come to Lawrence this Sunday for Worldwide Pinhole Day. We (Lawrence Photo Alliance) are sponsoring the 3rd of 3 pinhole workshops Sunday 4/29 from 1-4 at the Lawrence Arts Center. "Free" but we would like to have a small donation to cover materials, couple of bucks.

For the 3rd workshop, we aren't going to be building cameras (unless you REALLY, REALLY want to) but will have a collection of premade cameras to play with. Or bring your own. We will have a supply of 5x7 and 8x10 RC paper to use as "film" and chemistry to soup your negatives on the spot. You can try printing a positive or just scan and print later.

http://www.pinholeday.org/

Sunday, the Mrs. and I are going to The Henry's nursery to buy our herbs and tomato plants for the season, then on into Lawrence for some errands and a meal. I'll try to work the workshop into the agenda. I'll bring my lunchbox pinhole. Thanks for the heads up.

jstraw
04-26-2007, 06:56 PM
Stellar executions from Don Grindstaff and Rlibersky arrived today. Both offer inspiration for aspirations. It's amazing the breadth of approaches that are being exemplified within these 4x6 gems.

Buster6X6
04-26-2007, 08:06 PM
It was a good day today. It was raining dogs and cats but mailman brought some sunshine with THREE cards.
Thanks to Matt King very nice Lamp Post? " Did I guess right Matt?"Or is it a flying saucer projecting a beam down to earth??? I don't Know. :p
Very nice paper Matt, subdued shine, never used Polymax before.
"Doppler Radar" Very sharp image and well presented.Thanks Robert Young.
Last but not least and image of the "Bange Shrine" I think it is from post card exchange #9. Unfortunately I could not guess the signature. Anyway he used my favorite film ( Fuji Acros 100) and developer that I usually use Rodinal( when I am out of Pyro-HD). Very nice image of a dragon in that shrine.Thanks.

Cheers Greg

Matthew Gorringe
04-27-2007, 03:57 AM
Thank you to everyone who has sent postcards, I've received about 6 so far; my favourite at this stage is Robert Young's one.

It's such a thrill to be receiving them from all over the world, my wife thinks its the best thing I've done with my photography in some time and is getting the rejects to send to her friends.

I'll be sending mine out on Monday morning, I just hope they get to people without too much damage.

MattKing
04-27-2007, 12:04 PM
Thanks to Matt King very nice Lamp Post? " Did I guess right Matt?"Or is it a flying saucer projecting a beam down to earth??? I don't Know. :p
Very nice paper Matt, subdued shine, never used Polymax before.
Cheers Greg

Folks: Greg guessed right, so the first guess wins. Not that there is a prize :).

Matt

jstraw
04-27-2007, 04:26 PM
My cards are already sent. They are a photo of the ruins of a city (Belchite) that in the Spanish civil war, in 1937, was intensivelly bombed and most of unhabitants were killed.
After 70 years, ruins remain nearly in the same situation.
I hope you'll like it!

I received this sobering image today. Well done Pep.

ozphoto
04-27-2007, 08:05 PM
I'm returning from a 6 week shoot in Japan on Monday afternoon. Looking forward to seeing the postcards that have probably accumulatedin my mailbox.
Will be recovering for a couple of days and then printing up mine to send out asap.

ScottH
04-28-2007, 11:14 AM
I've mailed out all non-US postcards on Friday, and will sent the rest out on Monday. This exchange is a lot of fun, and the rest of the family is interested in seeing what's coming in the mail next. I have 8 or so already, and aside from one they've all arrived in great shape.

gr82bart
04-28-2007, 07:13 PM
Four more this week. Thanks so much to:

Mark Fisher for his scaaaary face from a country fair - very cool
Donald Grindstaff's cat palying with one of three bunnies
Randy Libersky's interesting image of a very good looking woman reviewing engineering plans
Gord Robinson (? can't read the writing) sent a decent postcard from Japan

Again, thank you all so much for some great postcards.

Regards, Art.

gordrob
04-28-2007, 10:28 PM
Four more this week. Thanks so much to:

Mark Fisher for his scaaaary face from a country fair - very cool
Donald Grindstaff's cat palying with one of three bunnies
Randy Libersky's interesting image of a very good looking woman reviewing engineering plans
Gord Robinson (? can't read the writing) sent a decent postcard from Japan

Regards, Art.

Sorry Art - Gord Robinson did not send the postcard from Japan - mine are in the process of being printed.

Regards
Gord

gr82bart
04-29-2007, 04:26 AM
Sorry Art - Gord Robinson did not send the postcard from Japan - mine are in the process of being printed.Thanks Gord for clarifying. I'm looking forward to your postcard.

To whomever sent me the postcard from Japan - thank you! I looked at my list I was given and I don't have anyone from Japan. A secret santa?

Randy, I counted 42 people on the list I was given, but the total number of participants is 52, am I missing 10 people? Or is the max set at 42 postcards? Just curious. I made 55 postcards for this round assuming I had to send out the max plus one to Sean.

BTW Sean's address can be found here: http://www.apug.org/forums/donate.php

Regards, Art.

reellis67
04-29-2007, 09:24 AM
For this round I went back to the original concept of sending only to the people that sent to you (or vice versa) so that no one felt that they had to send 52 cards and only get 35 or what ever in return.

Also, I have no idea who sent the card from Japan - I just checked my list (twice :P) and didn't find any addresses in Japan, BUT that doesn't meant that it couldn't have been sent by someone traveling or working out of town...

- Randy

mikeg
04-29-2007, 09:50 AM
Also, I have no idea who sent the card from Japan - I just checked my list (twice :P) and didn't find any addresses in Japan, BUT that doesn't meant that it couldn't have been sent by someone traveling or working out of town...

- Randy

I too got the same card, very nice too -- so thank you to the mystery person.

It can't have been the last round as I skipped that one.

I've just looked back through my records from previous rounds and it looks like it could have been meltronic or coriana6jp. Looking at the signature on the card, I'd say it was coriana6jp. Not sure what round it was from though!

Cheers

Mike