PDA

View Full Version : 11x14 lens decision

RoBBo
04-08-2007, 01:10 AM
I'm starting to do some 11x14 work, and I had been using (I think) a Taylor - Hobbson 21" f/10 in a packard w/a Sync (Using some ancient Speedotrons) and it's been decently reliable (On occasion the Sync wont fire if I don't jam it in real tight first), it's nice and I can operate the 'rig' by myself
I'm shooting with an 11x14 Deardorff studio by the way, with the huge double posted stand.

But a couple days ago, I managed to get my hands on a 30" Artar, that I can't mount in the packard, which would mean I'd need someone to operate my darkslide so I could use a fedora for a shutter and pop from the meter.
Inconvenient, but I've heard very good things about these lenses, and like that I wont have to shove this beast of a camera so far down my models throats.
I'd just like to hear some peoples thoughts on this lens and if it's really worth it to go through all the extra trouble of not having a shutter, just to use that lens.

PHOTOTONE
04-08-2007, 01:37 PM
Packard shutters are not too difficult to find used, and sync can be added with a micro-switch. If this were my rig, I would just test with the fedora method, but if I liked the lens, I would make a new lensboard, and mount a good used packard type shutter on the back, just for this lens.

Terence
04-08-2007, 01:42 PM
I haven't use one on 11x14, but the 30" Artar I borrowed was brutally sharp. Same goes for my 24" Artar, which is more easily found.

The largest Packard should work. If you can't find a used one, they still make them new.

The fedora method isn't so tough, either. The lens is large enough to leave the hat hanging and go put in the dark slide.

User Removed
04-08-2007, 02:03 PM
It is an APO-Artar or Red Dot Artar? If it's a Red Dot, I would suggest just putting out the money and have it mounted in a Copal 3 shutter by Grimes. The value of that lens will only go up and it's a great lens for all formats.

RoBBo
04-08-2007, 04:39 PM
It's a Red Dot Artar, but it's not my lens to screw with, belongs to one of the teachers at my school
I'll suggest that to the owner, but since I'm the only one that uses it, I doubt he'd be all to interested in putting in the money to have it mounted, and I'm just not-broke enough to afford the film and paper.
I'll give it a shot though, mind throwing me some contact info for this Grimes fellow?

jonw
04-08-2007, 11:03 PM
:D This might be the answer to you problem....:)
I just deleted my ad on apug for this item today, but if you wish to purchase it, I would still give my percentage to apug. Jon