PDA

View Full Version : "Photographic Emulsion Technique", 2nd edition by Baker

rmazzullo
04-17-2007, 01:43 PM
Hello all,

Does anyone know of someone who wants to sell their copy of "Photographic Emulsion Technique", second edition, by Baker?

Please reply off list to me at:

robert.mazzullo@ftnfinancial.com or

rmazzullo@si.rr.com

Thanks,

Bob Mazzullo

rmazzullo
04-25-2007, 06:20 PM
I finally got a copy of this book.

Thanks everyone.

Bob M.

Aurelien
05-16-2007, 09:01 AM
Is that an electronic copy of the booK?

I would be interested too.

rmazzullo
05-16-2007, 09:16 AM
No, it was an original from 1948. I paid serious money for it, too. I was quoted USD$645.00 from one vendor, and aside from making my eyes water, I decided to keep looking for (and eventually found) a cheaper copy.

Don't give up; they turn up from time to time. Just be ready when they do.

Bob M.

c.d.ewen
05-16-2007, 04:11 PM
No, it was an original from 1948. I paid serious money for it, too. I was quoted USD$645.00 from one vendor, and aside from making my eyes water, I decided to keep looking for (and eventually found) a cheaper copy.

Don't give up; they turn up from time to time. Just be ready when they do.

Bob M.

Sheesh! I just picked my copy up out of the pile on the floor and put it on a shelf!

Charley

Ryuji
05-16-2007, 08:58 PM
I have a copy and read through this book but like any other old emulsion literature there are a lot of "tricks" that were later found untrue. Users of old books like this are strongly encouraged to consult at least double check with more updated sources before investing time or money.

rmazzullo
05-16-2007, 09:18 PM
I have a copy and read through this book but like any other old emulsion literature there are a lot of "tricks" that were later found untrue. Users of old books like this are strongly encouraged to consult at least double check with more updated sources before investing time or money.

And I suppose that this statement is, of course, also backed up by first hand experience? Have you made the emulsions detailed in the book, OR more to the point, have you used the emulsion formulas in the book as a starting point with which you have made a corrected formula? Perhaps you would like to post some of your early tests with the various emulsions you have made for all of us to see? Perhaps you have better formulas that you yourself have designed and tested, and would like to share?

Bob M.

Photo Engineer
05-16-2007, 10:36 PM
Bob;

I have made some of these emulsions and have 'corrected' the errors inherent in early publications. In addition, I have been able to understand some of the background information that is implied in the formulas in the book.

In fact, I have discussed these formulas at length with Paul Gilman and have had the advantage of having his insight into some of them.

I will probably be having lunch with a group or two of my 'cronies' over the next week and we will continue our discussions of these emulsions and how to update them for easy preparation in simple photo labs. I hope that Paul will be able to join us.

PE

rmazzullo
05-16-2007, 11:25 PM
PE,

Thank you for passing that along. The fact that you and Paul Gilman reviewed these formulas in depth is encouraging. Perhaps one day you can share some of what you and your colleagues discuss regarding the formulas in the Baker book. It would be very interesting to learn what some of the best chemists at Kodak come up with, and maybe we can bring the formulas in that book up to date.

Bob M.

Ryuji
05-17-2007, 03:18 AM
And I suppose that this statement is, of course, also backed up by first hand experience?

Yes, of course.

Have you made the emulsions detailed in the book, OR more to the point, have you used the emulsion formulas in the book as a starting point with which you have made a corrected formula?

Many emulsion formulae in that book are taken from other sources and some are almost cut and paste. I have made many modernized versions and I have also handed out one simple formula which is a minimally modernized version of an old style bromide paper emulsion to several people who requested it.

Aurelien
05-17-2007, 04:49 AM
PE, could you publish some of the emulsions you know?

rmazzullo
05-17-2007, 06:03 AM
Yes, of course.

Many emulsion formulae in that book are taken from other sources and some are almost cut and paste. I have made many modernized versions and I have also handed out one simple formula which is a minimally modernized version of an old style bromide paper emulsion to several people who requested it.

Well, this is excellent news! When can we expect to see samples of your work posted to this forum? It would be most informative to see results of your modifications to these formulas and your modernized version of the bromide formula you mention.

Over the past 2 years you have made mention that you have done this work and there has been much discussion off-list regarding your attempts. I believe the forum members would be most interested to see how the many versions of formulas you have made have turned out.

Please let us know when you will be posting samples.

Gene_Laughter
05-17-2007, 06:45 AM
A bound photocopy of this book is available at

http://www.archivale.com/catalog/

Cheers,

GeneLaughter

Hello all,

Does anyone know of someone who wants to sell their copy of "Photographic Emulsion Technique", second edition, by Baker?

Please reply off list to me at:

robert.mazzullo@ftnfinancial.com or

rmazzullo@si.rr.com

Thanks,

Bob Mazzullo

Emulsion
05-20-2007, 07:28 AM
Another source is Abebooks. They have several copies listed.