PDA

View Full Version : Favourite locations in Ireland

Pages : [1] 2

dferrie
04-18-2007, 07:09 AM
Hi all,

As it would appear, that we have a good geographic spread (Laois, Wicklow, Meath, Cork) of APUG members here in Ireland, and we have our outing to look forward to, I was thinking that it might be good to share some of our personal favourite locations around the country so that we might get some hidden gems from each other. My personal favourite would be the Hook Peninsula (especially around the lighthouse), there is a great variety of subjects down there: Landscapes, Derelict buildings, Castles, Lighthouse, Rocky seascapes, beaches, forest parks etc. I also love the west around Letterfrack, Leenane & Kylemore Abbey.

David

Pinholemaster
04-18-2007, 07:37 AM
Anywhere you get to see "another pile of rocks" is good.

Only been to Ireland once (3 weeks of fun), but I was never at a loss for photographic material anywhere I went. I think the best images I made were of the people in and around the pubs. Countless opportunities to celebrate the Irish people.

dferrie
04-18-2007, 07:51 AM
Anywhere you get to see "another pile of rocks" is good.

No shortage of piles of rocks, some of them are even organised to form a building;)

David

Síle
04-18-2007, 07:55 AM
Glendalough and the Sally Gap..

Síle

thefizz
04-18-2007, 08:46 AM
I love Carlingford in County Louth.

You can do lots of water sports on the Lough or hike up Sleive Foy. Or if you want to relax there are plenty of pubs and restaurants. Some nice historic sites also like the Castle and Abbey.

Peter

mono
04-18-2007, 02:32 PM
How about the Burren?!

Dingle?

pentaxuser
04-18-2007, 03:06 PM
No shortage of piles of rocks, some of them are even organised to form a building;)

David

Yes and about 20 mins on the Dart and you've got several magnificent ones. It's called Dublin.

pentaxuser

thefizz
04-18-2007, 03:22 PM
How about the Burren?!

Dingle?

Yes Dingle is a great town. From Dingle you can cycle or drive over Conner Pass to Castlegregory, another little gem.

Unfortunately I have not been to the Burren yet but hope to this summer along with the Cliffs of Moher.

jnanian
04-18-2007, 04:17 PM
i've never been but i would love to
go and photograph the olde cormac's chapel -
the one with the roman hypocaust heating system
(central heat) and the ornate scandinavian-looking
sarcaphagous ... i think it is in kerry / cork ... :)

john

Fintan
04-19-2007, 05:46 AM
I dont have any favourite places as such, I do like nice simple landscapes like inland lakes, bogland, the burren, lines of pineforest in the morning mist. Seascapes like achill island. I also like decaying scenery like dublin docklands [now disapearing] and rusting ships like the quay in westport. I like evertything from horsefairs to fruitmarkets and some old time barber shop on a sidestreet in the back of beyond :D

Great thread though, I'm looking forward to following this one.

David Henderson
04-19-2007, 03:48 PM
What a terribly demanding question. I've photographed much of Ireland's coast from Bantry round to Strangford Lough and its hard to think of an area I don't enjoy and I'd love to return to much of it.

I suppose though that if really cornered I'd pick the Connemara coast from east of Glinsk round to Clifden as the best of the best. Honorable mentions though to the northern part of Inishowen; northwest Donegal round Dunfanaghy; the coast just north of Sligo round Streedagh; and the Co.Mayo coast round Westport and Achill Island. Then of course there's the Beara/Sheeps Head and Mizen Head areas and the illogical fact that some of the best photography I've done was on the beach at Rossknowlagh right in front of the hotel with caravan parks and holiday homes all round me. I feel guilty every year I don't return.

dferrie
04-20-2007, 05:59 AM
What a terribly demanding question.

I agree, even when I was posting the question I found it hard to pick just one favourit place!

David

Fintan
05-13-2007, 06:38 AM
Anyone with favourites/suggestions in Northern Ireland? I'd like to make a trip up in the summer and looking for some Bill Schwab type inspired seascapes.

dferrie
05-14-2007, 06:52 AM
Fintan,

Not so sure about Northern Ireland (currently doing research) but if you are in/around Donegal, I would recommend heading toward Dunlewey (http://www.dunleweycentre.com/index.htm) it's about 10 years since I was there but my recollection is that there is some spectacular scenery along the route to get to Dulewey. This is not seascape location but worth a look.

David

Gary Holliday
05-14-2007, 06:40 PM
Anyone with favourites/suggestions in Northern Ireland? I'd like to make a trip up in the summer and looking for some Bill Schwab type inspired seascapes.

I've just processed some nice shots of Carlingford Lough looking into Ireland.

Strangford Lough/ Ards Peninsula is another tranquil location with the Mourne mountains in the background.

You're never short of opportunities around the North coast...Dunluce castle etc, although anyone who owns a camera is there at sunset!

mmcclellan
05-15-2007, 05:07 AM
Glenn da Loch is IMHO the primo site in Ireland -- but only if you can go there OUT of the tourist season. Nothing worse than setting up your LF camera only to wait 2 or 3 hours for a break in the traffic to get a clean shot of the church!

Otherwise, at the risk of sounding touristy, I've lived in 7 countries and visited some two dozen others and I do not think there is a more beautiful place on earth than Skellig Michael. But if there is, it is surely located somewhere in the Dingle, Iveraugh (sp?), or Beara Peninsulas. Painter Frank Clark has a summer home in Connemara and I can certainly understand why. Basically, the West and Southwest of Ireland are "God's Special Acre" and are unmatched anywhere on the Island -- indeed, anywhere else on earth.

You're a lucky bunch to be living in Eire!

Oh, and don't forget Giant's Causeway -- if there was ever a stairway from Heaven, that must be it! :)

thefizz
05-15-2007, 05:32 AM
Fair play to you Michael, living far away in the war zone but still thinking of Ireland.

Fintan
05-15-2007, 06:49 AM
I've just processed some nice shots of Carlingford Lough looking into Ireland.

Strangford Lough/ Ards Peninsula is another tranquil location with the Mourne mountains in the background.

You're never short of opportunities around the North coast...Dunluce castle etc, although anyone who owns a camera is there at sunset!

Thanks Gary, I'll check them out.

Drew B.
05-15-2007, 06:56 AM
I was thinking that it might be good to share some of our personal favourite locations around the country so that we might get some hidden gems from each other.

David

are you saying there might be places in Ireland that might not present great photo ops?? Nay nay I say...

Gary Holliday
05-15-2007, 07:29 AM
Oh, and don't forget Giant's Causeway -- if there was ever a stairway from Heaven, that must be it! :)

It's a stairway under the sea to Scotland, I've a nice abstract series on the Causeway, but you'll need to hide the tripod as it's owned by the National Trust.