PDA

View Full Version : Are you obsessed with ULF?

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6

Rick Olson
05-03-2007, 12:10 PM
Michael,

I am ready to participate again in the TMY film purchase! Last year, it was 5 x 7 for me. This year, it will be 7 x 17. See a trend??

Thanks,
Rick

I completely agree with Kerry in the sense that it is easier to admit defeat and blame any number of companies for the condition than it is to solve the problem. Fundamental human nature. But at the end of the day the future of ULF is the collective responsibility of the participants. In this regard I am one of the hopelessly addicted that is willing to step up and allocate some of my time to insure that we have B&W sheet film for these cameras for years to come. I am working jointly with J&C toward the goal of stocking TMY in ULF sizes shortly that would eliminate pre-orders and make this emulsion available to many more photographers that prefer to pay as they go.

Long live B&W in ULF formats!

Scott Peters
05-03-2007, 12:45 PM
Absoutely. Especially when you see the 'no' grain, sharp, tonality to die for contact print....plus you are ready to alt process too!

I also find it easier to 'paint' with a larger ground glass.

Scott Peters
05-03-2007, 12:45 PM
Michael, awesome news! Keep us posted!

Rob Skeoch
05-03-2007, 04:05 PM
I think LF is contagious like crack, but more expensive.

Once I started shooting 8x10 (I know it's a pocket camera to you ULF guys) I wanted to get a 7x17. When I bought my 8x10 enlarger it solved it for me... I'm happy now, just want to shoot and print more.
-Rob

Allen Friday
05-03-2007, 06:32 PM
Let's see:

11x14, check.
7x17, check.
12x20, check.
16x20, check.
20x24,check.
8x20,....8x20..not yet.
14x17, nope.
So, on balance, I am not adicted. I have with stood temptaton twice.

Jim Fitzgerald
05-04-2007, 01:03 AM
Let's see:

11x14, check.
7x17, check.
12x20, check.
16x20, check.
20x24,check.
8x20,....8x20..not yet.
14x17, nope.
So, on balance, I am not adicted. I have with stood temptaton twice.

Damn, Allen only two more to go! I have to clean my apartment before I can expand the camera line! Cleaning begins Saturday! The addiction has begun!

Jim

doughowk
05-04-2007, 05:01 AM
Getting interested in alternative processes has been the primary spur to moving beyond 4X5. My 4X5 and smaller gear frequently stays home while I take the 8X10 & 7X17 Koronas. Some of my friends have gone the digitally enlarged negative route for alt processes, but there is something special about viewing the final image on the ground glass. And 7X17 is an ideal format for flat Florida wherein the clouds are often the primary subject.

Dan Dozer
05-04-2007, 11:05 PM
Jim,

You're not allowed to start the 11 x 14 until after you expose at least one sheet of 8 x 20 - so just keep it a fantasy for now. Sounds like you're just about ready for another road trip to Joshua Tree. Hugo and I are both ready. I think I got my holder all ready now and I'm going out on Sunday for a test run. Keep you posted.

Jim Fitzgerald
05-05-2007, 12:04 AM
Jim,

You're not allowed to start the 11 x 14 until after you expose at least one sheet of 8 x 20 - so just keep it a fantasy for now. Sounds like you're just about ready for another road trip to Joshua Tree. Hugo and I are both ready. I think I got my holder all ready now and I'm going out on Sunday for a test run. Keep you posted.

Dan, it is turning out just great! I'm finishing the ground glass back as we speak. I'm still contemplating the bellows. It will be faster if I have Mark Kapono build it for me. Have to wait a while as funds are low. I'll try to post some pics tomorrow. Yes, I would love to do another Joshua Tree with you and Hugo. I had a great time shooting with both of you.This time I need my 8x20 so we can all be using similar formats! I'll keep you posted. There is an idea, ULF's at Joshua Tree!

Jim

barryjyoung
05-08-2007, 12:33 PM
I'm considering building a 11x14! I am crazy, I know, but does this obsession just go on and on?

Let's see. I want more than anything to leave my six figure job as a tool and die maker to move out into the middle of nowhere to manufacture photo equipment. This will cost me a TON to do. I will no longer have access to health care, family, friends or really good thrift stores and industrial supply houses. I expect to make a third of what I make now as far as money.

So to answer your question, no, it is not an obsession, it is an all encompassing passion.

Barry Young
Young Camera Company

Jim Fitzgerald
05-08-2007, 08:57 PM
Barry, I think you have said it the best. It is a passion!

Jim

Zebra
05-09-2007, 10:17 PM
I sold some land, drugged my wife into a semi catatonic state for 48 hours for which time I played a tape over and over that stated 20 x 24 Ebony, feigned surprise and wonderment at her okaying my suggestion after allowing her to come back to the lucid and then waited for 12 months to receive it.

Am I wrong to have done that?

Jim Fitzgerald
05-09-2007, 10:46 PM
I sold some land, drugged my wife into a semi catatonic state for 48 hours for which time I played a tape over and over that stated 20 x 24 Ebony, feigned surprise and wonderment at her okaying my suggestion after allowing her to come back to the lucid and then waited for 12 months to receive it.

I love it! Now there is a contact print!!! I can only imagine you saying " ok honey, if I must get the 20x24 I must!" And who says drugs are bad???

Jim

Curt
05-09-2007, 10:48 PM

Not wrong when she will do it to you and when you come around you will love her new diamond ring.

Jim, aren't you going to make a bellows for your camera? Think of the money you will be saving for film.
Curt

Jim Fitzgerald
05-09-2007, 11:47 PM
Not wrong when she will do it to you and when you come around you will love her new diamond ring.

Jim, aren't you going to make a bellows for your camera? Think of the money you will be saving for film.
Curt

Curt, The film is in the fridge right now! Still contemplating if I will do it myself or have Mark in Hawaii make it for me? I know Dan would help me with the bellows. So I'm still undecided. I'm going to try and post some new pics soon.

Jim

Curt
05-10-2007, 12:14 AM
Great, I eagerly await the pictures as I know how hard you have worked on the camera. I made a corner fold mockup for my Seneca 8x10 and will make a kraft paper bellows to check for accuracy in design then make the real one, soon I hope. It's been a long time since I made my last one.
Good luck,
Curt

David A. Goldfarb
05-10-2007, 07:21 AM
Is it possible to do ULF photography in this day and age (as if the day were somehow different from the age in this context) without it being something of an obsession?

I've only got two cameras larger than 8x10"--11x14" and 7x17" and I think I'm standing pat with those for a while.

Curt
05-10-2007, 11:18 AM
I'm leaning toward the 11x14, I had Dave make a gg and the rest is just shop work. I still favor 5x7 but I did buy a new 4x5 in case my back takes a turn for the worse. The larger issue is lenses, they get expensive adding more and more to my already large inventory. My goal is to make an 11x14 that is relative light weight. I like the size of 11x14 also, that helps, and the move away from enlarging and towards a more Weston approach is another motive. I would like to see what I can do with a simplified approach to the medium. Contact prints are exquisite in their own right, not that there is anything wrong with enlarging if the enlargement is not that great. Reading the books about E.Weston and Paul Strand lately I noticed that both made quite of lot of small contact prints. Most were in the size of 4x5 and 5x7 with some as small as 3x4 inches. I think a person could rightly start out contact printing 4x5 and move up to ULF bringing with them the techniques needed, making the experience more enjoyable. I always said that with 5x7 one can contact print and enlarge. I considered 7x17 but half of an 11x14 would be 5 1/2 x 14 and that would satisfy my need for pano.

Jim Fitzgerald
05-10-2007, 11:47 AM
Curt, I too like the look of an 11x14. I've been enlarging some 4x5 negs and they look right to me. It ia all a personal thing. Once the 8x20 is up and running maybe I'll start the 11x14.

Jim

jonw
05-10-2007, 09:53 PM
Apparently, I too am hooked on ULF. I purchased my 11x14 Rochester New Improved Empire State in February. Today, I received a call from Freestyle confirming my 11x14 FP4+ order would arrive within the next 10 days. Checking out the fridge and freezer space, I discovered I have more ULF
11x14 film already stockpiled than I do for my smaller format cameras, i.e., 8x10, 5x7, and 4x5.

Jon