PDA

View Full Version : Are you obsessed with ULF?

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Alex Hawley
05-15-2007, 08:36 PM
BTW, if the issue preventing you form fully exploring the ULF option is concern from the partner, spouse or significant other about expense I have a wonderful remedy. Just take up sailing.

Well guys, count me as the newest ULF obsessed maniac. My most beautiful and gracious wife just gave me her blessings and a 7x17 Korona, with S&S holders, is on its way. Didn't have to use the sailboat trick either (thank God). But I knew from the first day in the Flint Hills that 8x10 just wasn't adequate there. And then Sandy goes and posts his home-brew 20x24 the same day we close the deal on the 7x17. I did mention to the wife that their was a 20x24 available for near the same price; but somehow knew better than to suggest ----:rolleyes:

Jim Fitzgerald
05-15-2007, 08:57 PM
Alex, congrats on picking up Matts 7x17 at a great price! Yes I did look at Sandy's post on the 20x24. I only have room for 16x20 trays in my bath tub at my apartment! I need a two bedroom!! Someone is going to get a great deal! I need to finish my 8x20 before I move to anything bigger.Welcome to the ULF obsession. I hope to be complete and "official" soon.

Jim

Mike A
05-18-2007, 03:27 PM
Uh, besides the yearly big group purchases, where's everyone gonna buy film at since the J&C closing?

scootermm
05-18-2007, 03:39 PM
Freestylephoto
In fact, I just ordered two boxes of 12x20 Efke PL100 and it was shipped this morning.
kudos to freestyle for actually having it in stock.

sanking
05-18-2007, 03:49 PM
Just a couple of comments. Although I sold my home-brew 20X24, as some noted and commented on, I have not lost the obsession. In fact, RR is currently making a custom 20X24 for me, with backs for 20X24 and 12X20 and I hope to take delivery of it sometimes this summer. Richard's estimates on weight and cost for this camera have been encouraging, and although I don't know all the details as yet I am confident that everything can be worked out. I am really excited about the prospect of being able to easily make vertical 12X20 shots on this camera, and may eventually have holders made for a really exotic panoramic format, say 10X24. Just think what I could do with that format scanning three or four 10X24" negatives made with the multi-coated 550 Schneider Dagor and stitching those fellows together for printing. I suspect that might blow the hair off the balls of every other digital stitching project we have seen.

Oh, sorry to mention the "d" word!!

Que disfruten de larga vida y prosperen los verdaderos obsesionados en este mundo!

Sandy

scootermm
05-18-2007, 04:00 PM
that even gets me excited Sandy. :)

Jim Fitzgerald
05-19-2007, 12:52 AM
Sandy, A whole different level!!! Can't wait to see it!!

Jim

Mike A
05-19-2007, 08:01 AM
Freestylephoto
In fact, I just ordered two boxes of 12x20 Efke PL100 and it was shipped this morning.
kudos to freestyle for actually having it in stock.

Thanks, I've orderd from them before. When they list the material your in need of in stock it's usualy ready to ship.

Petzi
05-19-2007, 03:44 PM
I found myself wondering the other day about 11x14! I am about a month from completion of my Walnut 8x20 with matching Walnut tripod. I am diamond polishing the ground glass frame and have to do the bellows and she will be done. This is my first attempt at building any camera and it is turning out better that I expected. Now that I can see the "light at the end of the tunnel" I'm considering building a 11x14! I am crazy, I know, but does this obsession just go on and on?

I think the truth is that obsession is a prerequisite for ULF photography.

Alex Hawley
05-19-2007, 03:53 PM
I think the truth is that obsession is a prerequisite for ULF photography.

I think you're 100% correct on that one Petzi.

Petzi
05-19-2007, 06:09 PM
I'm still considering whether that applies to LF photography in general. I mean, who would want to set up an LF camera in the landscape, when the same camera is too inconvenient for studio photographers?

sanking
05-19-2007, 06:23 PM
I'm still considering whether that applies to LF photography in general. I mean, who would want to set up an LF camera in the landscape, when the same camera is too inconvenient for studio photographers?

I am not sure what you mean by inconvenient. Some LF cameras are very inconvenient to use anywhere, either in the studio or in the field. Others set up in the field as fast as small and medium format cameras. I find it about as convenient to set up my 5X7 Nagaoka and Canham as to set up a Pentax 67. Either way I am going to use a tripod whenever feasible. Maybe it takes a couple of minutes more to set up the view cameras, but that does not seem much of a price to pay.

Sandy King

Alex Hawley
05-19-2007, 06:39 PM
Inconvenience can be very subjective and depends on many things. One in particular is how the camera is being used. If rapid shooting is needed, then of course a view camera is inconvenient.

Sure it takes a while to get set up in the field, and it also takes some time to knock things down when finished in one location. I use that time to get acquainted with the location. I may move the camera several times before I make a shot. I may make a shot and then something slightly different and shoot again. Bottom line is, none of all the above bothers me in any way.

Petzi
05-19-2007, 07:21 PM
I am not sure what you mean by inconvenient. Some LF cameras are very inconvenient to use anywhere, either in the studio or in the field. Others set up in the field as fast as small and medium format cameras. I find it about as convenient to set up my 5X7 Nagaoka and Canham as to set up a Pentax 67.

Why don't you just take the picture with the camera in your cell phone? :p

Petzi
05-19-2007, 07:27 PM
Inconvenience can be very subjective and depends on many things. One in particular is how the camera is being used. If rapid shooting is needed, then of course a view camera is inconvenient.

My main concern (based on past experience) is, that I might get "in the zone". It happens from time to time, especially when I travel abroad. That does not mean that I shoot rapidly, but I would take picture after picture until my film holders are used up. OK, I have that Harrison tent, but...

Once I shot 40 rolls of 220 film in 2 1/2 days. OK, some of my negs are big (panoramic), but there was a lot of 6x7 also...

sanking
05-19-2007, 07:36 PM
My main concern (based on past experience) is, that I might get "in the zone". It happens from time to time, especially when I travel abroad. That does not mean that I shoot rapidly, but I would take picture after picture until my film holders are used up. OK, I have that Harrison tent, but...

Once I shot 40 rolls of 220 film in 2 1/2 days. OK, some of my negs are big (panoramic), but there was a lot of 6x7 also...

I also tend to make a lot of negatives when using medium format, though my all-time maximum ihigh is probably less than 5-8 rolls of 220 film in a long day.

LF is for me an entirely different kind of experience. I spend a lot of time looking at the scene and thinking about the possibilities before exposing even the first negative. Exposing 20 sheets of 5X7 film in a morning or afternoon session would be for me an extremely productive session, assuming no duplicate shots are involved.

Sandy

Petzi
05-19-2007, 07:45 PM
I also tend to make a lot of negatives when using medium format, though my all-time maximum ihigh is probably less than 5-8 rolls of 220 film in a long day.

Like I said, my negs are big. Maybe 3 or 4 per film.

10 to 20 film holders in 8x10" or whatever you prefer are probably a necessity when travelling. Unless you like to see the good light go away while you're reloading.

Alex Hawley
05-19-2007, 08:26 PM
I'm not sure what the point of this discussion is now. It seems we have devolved into the subjective points of what is convenient for one versus the other; or else we're scoring points of some kind by how many frames are shot per day. I'm not seeing the relevance to the original subject.

jmdavis
05-19-2007, 09:22 PM

Uh, most of the people posting on this topic, those frequenting the Large Format forums, a number of fine artists, etc, etc.

After spending an afternoon stuck at work, spending an hour making a few LF photographs on the way home was complete bliss.

Mike Davis

sanking
05-19-2007, 09:32 PM
Why don't you just take the picture with the camera in your cell phone? :p

I must be very dense. I just totally miss the point, or relevance to this discussion, of your question?

Sandy King